a12vman

Default Frame for Home Theater Screen

Hello Fellow Woodworkers, I need some input here. I need to build a face
frame for a ceiling-recessed home theater screen that I installed.

http://65.31.50.236/ht/images/screen1.jpg

The metal box is ~ 1/2" above the Sheetrock. The trim would likely be 1x4
Red Oak with a 1/2" Strip glued/nailed to the inside edges of the frame to
make up the 1/2" difference. Would pocket screws make sense for this
application?

One other thing, I would like to be able to remove the frame in case I need
to service the screen's electrical components. So I was thinking of
assembling the frame and attaching it with Brass Screws.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in Advance,
-a12vman

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:03:16 GMT, the inscrutable "a12vman"
spake:

Hello Fellow Woodworkers, I need some input here. I need to build a face
frame for a ceiling-recessed home theater screen that I installed.

http://65.31.50.236/ht/images/screen1.jpg

The metal box is ~ 1/2" above the Sheetrock. The trim would likely be 1x4
Red Oak with a 1/2" Strip glued/nailed to the inside edges of the frame to
make up the 1/2" difference. Would pocket screws make sense for this
application?

Sure, face frames are the main domain of pocket screws.

One other thing, I would like to be able to remove the frame in case I need
to service the screen's electrical components. So I was thinking of
assembling the frame and attaching it with Brass Screws.

Any ideas here?

That or countersunk screws with either buttons or plugs, depending
upon the amount of hardware you wish to see when the screen is up.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
One other thing, I would like to be able to remove the frame in case I
need to service the screen's electrical components. So I was thinking
of assembling the frame and attaching it with Brass Screws.

Any ideas here?

That or countersunk screws with either buttons or plugs, depending
upon the amount of hardware you wish to see when the screen is up.

Buttons or plugs are often not easily removable. Countersunk brass seems
like a good idea.

You know about the trick of cutting the threads in the oak, by first
running in a high quality steel screw of the same size, right? Because, I
learned to my chagrin, that brass has been known to snap under torque, even
if lubed with wax.

Or you could do the pocket screws from behind, perhaps, where they won't
show?

Enjoy the game.

Patriarch
Tim and Steph

Brass'll strip easily, too - be careful, don't just put the screwgun in
there and mash the gas.
You might consider brass screw cups under the screws for a jazzier look.
They're these little washer-like deals that conform to the shape of the
underside of the screw head. They both frame the screw nicely and prevent
wear. They're a bit of trouble to set accurately, but they look quite nice.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Larry Jaques wrote in
: