Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Creating a duplex outlet from two 20A feeds

I've got a new microwave that requires bringing another 20A circuit to the
kitchen. I have a Leviton 20A outlet (model J-2651) that I want to "duplex"
so that 40 amps comes to the box from two different 12/2 w/G cables from two
different breakers (20A upper/20A lower outlet).

I see a thin strip of metal which I believe is called the bridging tab with
a narrow gap running between the two outlets. I assume is what I need to
cut to bring one circuit to the lower outlet and another to the upper
outlet.

The question is how best to cut it. Dremel? Remove the plate from the
outlet and use wire cutters? Needle-nosed pliers?

I also assume I need to check afterwards with an ohmmeter to insure cutting
the tabs really did isolate the outlets from each other.

I've also read for safety reasons the two circuits should be fed from a
tandem breaker so both circuits are de-energized when shut off or tripped.
That sounds right. Is it? Does the outlet need to marked to indicate the
dual-circuit feed?

One site I looked at said not to disconnect the neutral bridging tab, only
the hot side? Right or wrong or makes no difference? My inclination is that
it has too be cut, too.

I recall reading a dual-feed 40A outlet is standard technique in Canada but
is it legal in the US?

Is it just best to bite the bullet and gouge out another hole in the plaster
to install a completely separate outlet? frown

SH