Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best place to get sheet metal in small quantities in San Jose?

Where would you get sheet metal for custom road signs?

The signs will be 12" by 18", with rounded corners, painted white, with
black two-inch letters.

Steel would work, but aluminum would be better.
Thickness would be something like 0.060 to 0.080 inches.

I maybe need material for 10 signs, at most.

I'm guessing welding shops will have the raw material at a good price.
Sheet metal shops too.

Ace and Home Depot have the raw plate steel, but the plates themselves cost
as much as signs being made, so the only question here is where to get about
12 feet by 18 feet (roughly) of plate metal inexpensively.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

Where would you get sheet metal for custom road signs?

The signs will be 12" by 18", with rounded corners, painted white, with
black two-inch letters.

Steel would work, but aluminum would be better.
Thickness would be something like 0.060 to 0.080 inches.

I maybe need material for 10 signs, at most.

I'm out of my league, so I just need some background information right now.

I called a few "sheet metal" shops, and got the strangest set of quotes.
I guess I need to know more about what I'm doing to compare them.

All seem to "roll up" a 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of aluminum, so I think
that's the standard size (based on my phone calls today).

However, some quoted aluminum of various grades such as 2024, 3003, 5052,
6061, & 7075, asking me which one I wanted (I don't know).

Some just said it's "anodized" aluminum.
Others asked if I wanted "plate" or "sheet" aluminum.

Not many felt like explaining it to me.

Which do I want for just spray painting a sign?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

However, some quoted aluminum of various grades such as 2024, 3003, 5052,
6061, & 7075, asking me which one I wanted (I don't know).

Some just said it's "anodized" aluminum.

I found out the answer to the "type" of aluminum, which is probably 0.063
5052 which is the cheapest at around $125 for a four foot by 10 foot sheet
(although some places charged $350 for that same sheet).

Anodizing, according to wikipedia, is just a thick oxide coating.
I'm not sure if I even need that, since I'm going to paint it anyway.

If I cut it, they tell me I will lose 1/4 inch in the kerf.

I'm hoping to get two 18x24 inch signs and about five 12x18 inch signs.

Do you know of any Windows software that can best floorplan that out of a 4
foot by 10 foot sheet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2016 6:36 PM, Alex Harris wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

Where would you get sheet metal for custom road signs?

I called a few "sheet metal" shops, and got the strangest set of quotes.
I guess I need to know more about what I'm doing to compare them.

All seem to "roll up" a 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of aluminum, so I think
that's the standard size (based on my phone calls today).

However, some quoted aluminum of various grades such as 2024, 3003, 5052,
6061, & 7075, asking me which one I wanted (I don't know).

Some just said it's "anodized" aluminum.
Others asked if I wanted "plate" or "sheet" aluminum.

Not many felt like explaining it to me.

Which do I want for just spray painting a sign?

Start here if you want some idea of properties.
..080 is a common thickness for signs. I'd buy what is readily available
in that thickness. 2024 or 6061 will work.

For 12 x 18, I'd buy these
http://store.hallsigns.com/12-x-18-A...nk_p_3737.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:06:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Hard to beat that price. They have rounded corners and drilled holes,
ready to go. I wouldn't cut a sign out with a saber saw and buff the
edges for $3 if the metal was free.
I am going to book mark that site.

The OP might want to see what this guy wants for the completed signs.
His paint or decals will last longer than your average rattle can
anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:49:35 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

Do you know of any Windows software that can best floorplan that out of a 4
foot by 10 foot sheet?

I drew out a grid of four blocks by 10 blocks which gets me a 4 foot by ten
foot sheet. https://s16.postimg.org/g5fwelxf9/fo...nfootsheet.gif

Out of half that length, a 4 foot by five foot half sheet, ignoring the 1/4
inch kerf, I can get four of the 24x18 and five of the 12x18 inch blocks.
https://s15.postimg.org/5dpv7qmor/half_sheet.gif

So all I really need is a half sheet at 4 feet by five feet instead of 4
feet by ten feet. I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:06:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Start here if you want some idea of properties.
.080 is a common thickness for signs. I'd buy what is readily available
in that thickness. 2024 or 6061 will work.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush, so mail order will work.
One guy I called today said "get 5052 because it's cheaper".
You suggested 2024 or 6061.

Looking up what the numbers mean this is a summary I found:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-numbers-mean
2024 ¡V Another high strength aluminum, often used in place of 7075 due to
its superior welding characteristics. Also does not anodize well.

5052 ¡V Moderately high strength aluminum used in sheet metal applications
where bending and strength are required.

6061 - The most common AL to the machine shop world. Machines well and is
fairly stable. Takes a nice anodize plating.

7075 - typically called aircraft AL. High strength aluminum. A little harder
to machine than 6061. Special care needs to be taken to produce thin walled
components due to material movement. Does not take a weld very well. It also
does not take anodize well.

Given that description, I'd take the cheapest, since they'll all work I
think.

For 12 x 18, I'd buy these
http://store.hallsigns.com/12-x-18-A...nk_p_3737.html

Wow. That site is fantastic!
Cheap prices. Lots of choices.
Rounded edges. Holes punched. (Even holes both ways, whatever that means.)

The best price I found for a sheet of .063 gauge aluminum (unknown alloy)
was $125, which nets me roughly fifteen to twenty 12x18" signs, at about
$6.25 per sign (square edges, no holes, still needs paint).

Your site, for just one to thirteen blanks adds a $10 processing fee (plus
shipping), but if I get more than thirteen blanks, they drop the processing
fee.

Shipping seems to *only* be by FedEx, which is about $40 for fifteen 12x18
inch blanks.

So, for fifteen 3105 alloy 12x18" 0.80 gauge blanks, it's
$55.50 for the fifteen blanks
$39.50 for the shipping
------
$95 (or about $6.33 each)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:19:42 -0500, wrote:

Hard to beat that price. They have rounded corners and drilled holes,
ready to go. I wouldn't cut a sign out with a saber saw and buff the
edges for $3 if the metal was free.
I am going to book mark that site.

I don't think I can beat that price either.

One guy I called, named Miles, at Reliance, in Union City (408-672-3455)
quoted $24 each for 0.063 gauge 5052 alloy, cut to 12x18, not rounded, and
$33 each for 18x24.

Given that a *better* blank (rounded, painted, and holed) will be about $6
to $14 it's certainly not worth looking further at having anyone cut the
sheets for me locally.

The closest comparison is this 18x24 unpainted blank
http://store.hallsigns.com/18-x-24-A...nk_p_5717.html

The OP might want to see what this guy wants for the completed signs.
His paint or decals will last longer than your average rattle can
anyway.

I'm looking at that site now, which seems to have everything, from the
blanks, to the posts, and even the decals, as you mentioned:
http://store.hallsigns.com/Engineer-...rs_p_5047.html

The 18x24 painted rounded holed blanks are $14 plus a $10 handling & $17
shipping charge, for $41 for just one sign, so it's best to order more signs
because for just one, it's not worth the money alone.

18" x 24" .063 Gauge Painted Aluminum Sign Blank
http://store.hallsigns.com/18-x-24-0...nk_p_3274.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/07/2016 04:49 PM, Alex Harris wrote:
If I cut it, they tell me I will lose 1/4 inch in the kerf.

If you get it from a supply house, just have them shear it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 01:41:28 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris
wrote:

[...]

Have you looked locally?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 19:19:42 -0500, wrote:

His paint or decals will last longer than your average rattle can
anyway.

There is a lot of terminology that I don't know yet.
For example, just in the decals alone, there is this concept of a "letter
series".
http://store.hallsigns.com/Black-Vin...rs_p_5046.html

For example, the letter A comes in series B, C, or D.

Looking up what a "letter series" is, I found this which pretty much is the
bible I think on letters on signs:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/SHSe/Alphabets.pdf

This summary says B has the narrowest letters:
http://www.trafficsign.us/signtypeface.html

Interestingly, this page tells us where to get the CAD software & free
fonts:
http://www.trafficsign.us/fontvend.html

For example, here are free fonts:
http://www.n1en.org/roadgeek-fonts

Where the specific font of choice is probably:
c:\ move Roadgeek 2005 Series B.otf c:\windows\Fonts\.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 21:44:09 -0500, wrote:

18" x 24" .063 Gauge Painted Aluminum Sign Blank
http://store.hallsigns.com/18-x-24-0...nk_p_3274.html

Have you looked locally?

Yes.
I called Reliance, at 800-672-3455.
Harris at 408-866-4160.
RMS at 408-295-0911.
Acosta at 408-275-370.
Cortec at 408-278-8540 (and at 408-971-1564).
Sheet at 408-282-8900.
etc.

Some don't sell to the public, others sell a 4 foot by 10 foot sheet, and
those will sheer for a very high fee, to size.

I might find a good local supplier, but it sure seems like their prices are
way out of line with those on the net.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:39:47 -0700, rbowman wrote:

If I cut it, they tell me I will lose 1/4 inch in the kerf.

If you get it from a supply house, just have them shear it.

Sheering costs more than the materials, from what I have found out by
calling more than a half-dozen local sheet-metal suppliers.

Source for small quantities of expanded metal (aluminum or steel) Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 18 May 13th 08 05:05 PM
Where to buy sheet metal for small craft project Prometheus Metalworking 1 October 7th 07 04:05 AM
Metal supplier - small quantities PJK UK diy 9 September 4th 06 11:47 AM
Small sheet metal brake? T i m UK diy 13 May 3rd 06 01:12 AM
Best place for sheet metal online? Terrence McCann Metalworking 2 September 25th 03 12:40 AM