Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Harris Alex Harris is offline

Default Best place to get sheet metal in small quantities in San Jose?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:06:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Start here if you want some idea of properties.
.080 is a common thickness for signs. I'd buy what is readily available
in that thickness. 2024 or 6061 will work.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush, so mail order will work.
One guy I called today said "get 5052 because it's cheaper".
You suggested 2024 or 6061.

Looking up what the numbers mean this is a summary I found:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-numbers-mean
2024 ¡V Another high strength aluminum, often used in place of 7075 due to
its superior welding characteristics. Also does not anodize well.

5052 ¡V Moderately high strength aluminum used in sheet metal applications
where bending and strength are required.

6061 - The most common AL to the machine shop world. Machines well and is
fairly stable. Takes a nice anodize plating.

7075 - typically called aircraft AL. High strength aluminum. A little harder
to machine than 6061. Special care needs to be taken to produce thin walled
components due to material movement. Does not take a weld very well. It also
does not take anodize well.

Given that description, I'd take the cheapest, since they'll all work I
think.

For 12 x 18, I'd buy these
http://store.hallsigns.com/12-x-18-A...nk_p_3737.html

Wow. That site is fantastic!
Cheap prices. Lots of choices.
Rounded edges. Holes punched. (Even holes both ways, whatever that means.)

The best price I found for a sheet of .063 gauge aluminum (unknown alloy)
was $125, which nets me roughly fifteen to twenty 12x18" signs, at about
$6.25 per sign (square edges, no holes, still needs paint).

Your site, for just one to thirteen blanks adds a $10 processing fee (plus
shipping), but if I get more than thirteen blanks, they drop the processing
fee.

Shipping seems to *only* be by FedEx, which is about $40 for fifteen 12x18
inch blanks.

So, for fifteen 3105 alloy 12x18" 0.80 gauge blanks, it's
$55.50 for the fifteen blanks
$39.50 for the shipping
------
$95 (or about $6.33 each)