Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Harris Alex Harris is offline

Default Best place to get sheet metal in small quantities in San Jose?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

Where would you get sheet metal for custom road signs?

The signs will be 12" by 18", with rounded corners, painted white, with
black two-inch letters.

Steel would work, but aluminum would be better.
Thickness would be something like 0.060 to 0.080 inches.

I maybe need material for 10 signs, at most.

I'm out of my league, so I just need some background information right now.

I called a few "sheet metal" shops, and got the strangest set of quotes.
I guess I need to know more about what I'm doing to compare them.

All seem to "roll up" a 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of aluminum, so I think
that's the standard size (based on my phone calls today).

However, some quoted aluminum of various grades such as 2024, 3003, 5052,
6061, & 7075, asking me which one I wanted (I don't know).

Some just said it's "anodized" aluminum.
Others asked if I wanted "plate" or "sheet" aluminum.

Not many felt like explaining it to me.

Which do I want for just spray painting a sign?