Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best place to get sheet metal in small quantities in San Jose?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:06:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/7/2016 6:36 PM, Alex Harris wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 23:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Alex Harris wrote:

Where would you get sheet metal for custom road signs?

I called a few "sheet metal" shops, and got the strangest set of quotes.
I guess I need to know more about what I'm doing to compare them.

All seem to "roll up" a 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of aluminum, so I think
that's the standard size (based on my phone calls today).

However, some quoted aluminum of various grades such as 2024, 3003, 5052,
6061, & 7075, asking me which one I wanted (I don't know).

Some just said it's "anodized" aluminum.
Others asked if I wanted "plate" or "sheet" aluminum.

Not many felt like explaining it to me.

Which do I want for just spray painting a sign?

Start here if you want some idea of properties.
.080 is a common thickness for signs. I'd buy what is readily available
in that thickness. 2024 or 6061 will work.

For 12 x 18, I'd buy these
http://store.hallsigns.com/12-x-18-A...nk_p_3737.html

Hard to beat that price. They have rounded corners and drilled holes,
ready to go. I wouldn't cut a sign out with a saber saw and buff the
edges for $3 if the metal was free.
I am going to book mark that site.

The OP might want to see what this guy wants for the completed signs.
His paint or decals will last longer than your average rattle can
anyway.