CJ

Default Trane Furnace

We have a high efficiency Trane furnace (2 speeds)
Is it possible to increase the speed of the fan output?

The first fan level seems very low to us, and it is rare for the second
speed to come on (it has to be very cold day for this 2nd speed to start
up).

TURTLE

"CJ" wrote in message ...
We have a high efficiency Trane furnace (2 speeds)
Is it possible to increase the speed of the fan output?

The first fan level seems very low to us, and it is rare for the second
speed to come on (it has to be very cold day for this 2nd speed to start
up).

This is Turtle.

When the furnace is running on first stage it is burning 1/2 the fuel and electricty of the second stage. If you can get by on the
first stage , you getting by with a lot of fuel not being burnt. Now if you just want to see the furnace burn more fuel. Call the
service company and tell them that you want to run the furnace on high fire or high heat and they will switch the wires out and make
it burn more fuel for you. I have never heard of one of my customers wanting to burn more fuel in my life, but there is a first time
for everything.

Let me explain to you something here. The second stage is a higher speed on the fan but it is also a high level of the burners that
comes on and burns twice as much fuel as the first stage. It is not just the fan speed but the fuel rate goes up with it.

TURTLE

---

m Ransley

If 2nd speed only comes on when real cold then its doing what it is
supposed to. Slow speed also heats more evenly and more quietly

CJ

Thank you for your kind responses to our question.

We thought that maybe it was possible to just increase the fan speed and air
output without increasing the fuel consumption. Our goal was to increase the
air circulation via increasing the fan speed/air output. Apparently this
can't be done without affecting the fuel being burned.

With our previous furnace, we would sometimes just put the fan on manual
(not burning fuel) to let the air circulate in the house (especially between
seasons when it's no longer cold enough to have a furance on, and not yet
hot enough to turn the air conditioner on). With the Trane, the first speed
is so low that it is barely noticeable when we go to manual fan. Soooo,
alas, apparently the days of manually putting the fan on ... with high fan
speed air circulation, without burning fuel ... must be gone.

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"CJ" wrote in message

[...]

MLD

I have a new Two Stage Trane furnace and that's the way it works. It is the
most efficient mode and will reduce your net fuel burn/bill and at the same
time keep the house at a more even temperature. This is the first winter
that we were not making adjustments to the thermostat to "get the chill" out
of the house. There has been much less of the heat off/on cycles than we had
with the old furnace.
MLD

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"CJ" wrote in message

[...]

m Ransley

There may be a different setting that can be used for Fan On ,vs Low Fan
but im no Hvac person. my lennox goes to a higher speed on fan on. Some
of these new units can be programed the way you want.

BGBevill

It sounds as though your furnace is working properly, but there are ways to
increase the fan speed on most models without increasing the amount of fuel
being burned. Most newer Trane equipment only runs the fan half speed when the
fan switch is set to the "on" position with no cooling call. Your local Trane
tech should be able to figure out how to make the controls within the furnace
bring the fan on in high speed with the "on" position on the stat.

Bobby

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"CJ" wrote in message

[...]

CJ

Again, thanks to all the answers....
The furnace is great and just like in MLD's response, we too have had more
even temperature with this furnace.
We will call the local Trane tech and see if our mission of increasing the
fan speed can be accomplished.