Gryhound

Default Help! Furnace not working!

My old GE ambassador mark II furnace suddenly went
out. It is a natural gas forced air furnace about 15 years old.
I just replaced the thermostat, but no luck. The furnace is getting
power, but when I turn it on, absolutely nothing happens. No spark, no
click, nothing. I can hear the thermostat click, so I know it
is working. Any advice???? Its going be cold tonight...

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,

mwlogs

Gee, 'nothing happens' would indicate no fan either. Check the breaker to
see if it's blow for some reason. You say 'no click' which indicates it may
be pilotless, so it could be a bad igniter assembly. Or, if it does have a
pilot, it is either out, or the thermocouple has failed.

Not much else you can do yourself if you haven't got the skills to diagnose
it any furhter but call the repairman. Depending on how cold you are
expecting, do it quick before you end up needing a plumber for frozen pipes
as well! If it's expected to get that cold and you can't get it repaired,
leave a few sinks running just slightly to keep some water flowing in the
pipes. Pick sinks the furthest from where the water lines enter the house,
and do a cold and a hot. Just cause the water heater is still heating the
water, the pipes a few feet from the tank can still freeze if it drops low
enough.

"Ed Coyne" wrote in message
. ..
Does the fan turn on?

"Gryhound" wrote in message
My old GE ambassador mark II furnace suddenly went
out. It is a natural gas forced air furnace about 15 years old.
I just replaced the thermostat, but no luck. The furnace is getting
power, but when I turn it on, absolutely nothing happens. No spark, no
click, nothing. I can hear the thermostat click, so I know it
is working. Any advice???? Its going be cold tonight...

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot

com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,
you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go.

Gryhound

Ha! Mystery solved. A cheap fix too. I played detective for a
bit with a current sensor and found a loose connection. That
could have been a costly loose wire if I had to call in a furnace
guy at 9pm at night.

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,
you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go.
"Ed Coyne" wrote in message
. ..
Does the fan turn on?

"Gryhound" wrote in message
My old GE ambassador mark II furnace suddenly went
out. It is a natural gas forced air furnace about 15 years old.
I just replaced the thermostat, but no luck. The furnace is getting
power, but when I turn it on, absolutely nothing happens. No spark, no
click, nothing. I can hear the thermostat click, so I know it
is working. Any advice???? Its going be cold tonight...

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot

com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,
you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go.

I-zheet M'drurz

On 17 Feb 2004, Gryhound wrote:

Ha! Mystery solved. A cheap fix too. I played detective for a
bit with a current sensor and found a loose connection. That
could have been a costly loose wire if I had to call in a furnace
guy at 9pm at night.

Just curious: Will you be ripping down the new thermostat, wiping
the plaster dust off of the screws, re-packing it, and trying to
take it back to the unfortunate retailer who sold it to you?

--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.

Gryhound

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 17 Feb 2004, Gryhound wrote:

Ha! Mystery solved. A cheap fix too. I played detective for a
bit with a current sensor and found a loose connection. That
could have been a costly loose wire if I had to call in a furnace
guy at 9pm at night.

Just curious: Will you be ripping down the new thermostat, wiping
the plaster dust off of the screws, re-packing it, and trying to
take it back to the unfortunate retailer who sold it to you?

No, I wanted to upgrade from the older dial thermostat to a programmable
one anyway. Guess I can check that project off my list of things to do.

Stormin Mormon

Did you call a furnace guy for a clean and check? I mean, seeing as how the
stress is off, now it might be time to get the maintenance done.

Congrats on finding the one loose wire -- bet that feels good to have your
heat back on. Now get it cleaned out, motor oiled and all that. Be less
likely to break down again.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

"Gryhound" wrote in message
Ha! Mystery solved. A cheap fix too. I played detective for a
bit with a current sensor and found a loose connection. That
could have been a costly loose wire if I had to call in a furnace
guy at 9pm at night.

--
David P. Feyen Reply to: dfeyen at wi dot rr dot com
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had this been an actual life,
you would have received instructions on what to do and where to go.
"Ed Coyne" wrote in message
. ..
Does the fan turn on?