Andy Frank

Default Toilet flushing & Hot Shower

I have a Master addition on my house that has a Master Bathroom.
Everytime you are in the master shower and someone flushes the master
toilet, the master shower scaulds the person in the shower. The
scaulding water has to be from the toilet taking too much water from
the cold water supply line. What are the obvious reasons? I think the
toilet is an old 3 gallon toilet which might consume too much water,
but are there other reasons? Is the cold water supply line to the
Master addition too small?

Any help or ideas is much appreciated!!!

Andy
Speedy Jim

Andy Frank wrote:

I have a Master addition on my house that has a Master Bathroom.
Everytime you are in the master shower and someone flushes the master
toilet, the master shower scaulds the person in the shower. The
scaulding water has to be from the toilet taking too much water from
the cold water supply line. What are the obvious reasons? I think the
toilet is an old 3 gallon toilet which might consume too much water,
but are there other reasons? Is the cold water supply line to the
Master addition too small?

Any help or ideas is much appreciated!!!

Andy

Size of toilet has nothing to do with it.
Shower control should have been a "pressure-balance" type or
scald-guard (temp compensated).

You would need to know much, much more about the system to
pinpoint the cause though.
City/well water? Pressure at the supply?
Age and type of supply piping in the original part of the house?
Type of water heater? If a coil in the boiler without a
storage vessel, this setup is very prone to scalding and should
have a thermostatic tempering valve.

With so many variables, you probably need to have someone local
who is experienced look at it.

Jim

Joseph Meehan

How old is your master bath?

First the shower valve to reduce or eliminate the problem unless it is
really old. Second if the supply was designed right and working right, it
would not be a problem. Note: Speedy is on the right track asking the
questions he asked; they are the start of finding the problem and the
solution. One last suggestion. The supply line to the toilet should have a
valve on it. Closing the valve part way will reduce the problem until you
can have it resolved. Don't think this is THE fix. Next time someone
starts brushing their teeth the same problem will still be there.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Andy Frank" wrote in message
om...
I have a Master addition on my house that has a Master Bathroom.
Everytime you are in the master shower and someone flushes the master
toilet, the master shower scaulds the person in the shower. The
scaulding water has to be from the toilet taking too much water from
the cold water supply line. What are the obvious reasons? I think the
toilet is an old 3 gallon toilet which might consume too much water,
but are there other reasons? Is the cold water supply line to the
Master addition too small?

Any help or ideas is much appreciated!!!

Andy

Joseph Meehan

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
Cutting back on the tank supply valve has become the
permanent fix on many.

Yea, you're right, but it is not a fix. ;-)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joe Bobst

has to be from the toilet taking too much water from
the cold water supply line.

Restrict the bathroom to one occupant at a time.
Problem solved.

Joe
Michael Baugh

C'mon, buddy. Sometimes we are too much of the purists
for our own good. The supply line is big enough to supply
sufficient water delivery speed for the big tanks. Now we
have 'tiny' ones. Cutting back on the delivery speed is not
so bad. Something to appreciate when things get plugged up
and there's still a delivery through the overflow tube.
Ya know, a twist tie around a couple of parts can be a fix. Not
elegant, or even esthetic. But it can indeed be a fix. As can be
a reduced delivery to the tank to keep folks from getting that
'there went the cold water' feeling.
I say turn the tank temperature down to the point that cold admixture
is unnecessary.

Joseph Meehan wrote in message
"Michael Baugh" wrote in message
Cutting back on the tank supply valve has become the
permanent fix on many.

Yea, you're right, but it is not a fix. ;-)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

I am not at all worried about the toilet. It would appear the real
problems are a cold water supply that is inadequate because it is too small
and/or insufficient supply (pump?) and/or restricted and the lack of an
anti-scald valve. The real fix is to address those issues.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

.. .