TaraDanielle

Default remove wallpaper that has been painted over?

Hi
I want to redo a room in my Cape Cod home. It has cheap white paint
over cheap light green paint over ugly wallpaper.

What is the easiest way to get it all down so I can paint it?

There are ugly lines showing through the paint, seams I guess. Half
of the rest of the house WAS done in paneling with no drywall behind
it. I fear finding that in this room too! The ugly lines are even on
the ceiling.

Tips? Steaming? A razor? Nu Wall over it? (worked very well on the
paneling upstairs)
THANKS
Tara
SQLit

"TaraDanielle" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I want to redo a room in my Cape Cod home. It has cheap white paint
over cheap light green paint over ugly wallpaper.

What is the easiest way to get it all down so I can paint it?

There are ugly lines showing through the paint, seams I guess. Half
of the rest of the house WAS done in paneling with no drywall behind
it. I fear finding that in this room too! The ugly lines are even on
the ceiling.

Tips? Steaming? A razor? Nu Wall over it? (worked very well on the
paneling upstairs)
THANKS
Tara

A sponge and a 4 inch putty knife. Sponge on get an area wet and then let
the water do its job. Takes a while but the stuff will come right off. Not
much clean up for painting either. I just removed 3 rooms from wallpaper
hell recently. Just do not let it dry out. I started at the top and worked
down. Better when it is warmer.

TaraDanielle

way too much money
also too much mess, I have a 3 year-old and a dog
When we get new siding we hope to add a lot of insulation downstairs
Tara

PJx wrote in message . ..

I vote new drywall thruout the house. And in the process reinsulate
the exterior walls at a minimum.
PJ

Daniel L. Belton

"SQLit" wrote in message

"TaraDanielle" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

Go to the local Hope Depot or Wal-Mart and get what is called a Paper
Tiger. This scores the wallpaper and allows the water to get behind the
paper to dissolve the glue... Also, get one of the solutions designed
for wallpaper removal. They dissolve the glue much faster than water
does, and you really will need it to get all of the glue off the wall so
that paint will adhere properly.
Bob Lauer

My wife and I tried this approach on a bedroom and it almost ended the
relationship. It's very time intensive and messy. For the next room we went
to Home Depot and bought a wagner steamer for $50 bucks and finished the
house with much happier results. That was the best $50 bucks I ever spent
and without it there would still be plenty of the previous owners wall paper
throughout the house.

I would strongly suggest not using the chemicals and instead use a steamer.
If you don't want to buy one you can most likely rent one but I think you'll
spend the same money either way.

Bob

Go to the local Hope Depot or Wal-Mart and get what is called a Paper
Tiger. This scores the wallpaper and allows the water to get behind the
paper to dissolve the glue... Also, get one of the solutions designed
for wallpaper removal. They dissolve the glue much faster than water
does, and you really will need it to get all of the glue off the wall so
that paint will adhere properly.

Claudia

I have the all time best and cheapest, least hot way to remove wallpaper.
Instructions must be followed to the letter. Garden sprayer with hot water
and Ivory liquid dishsoap. Tiger claw/paw the whole wall and spray it down
with the hot water/ivory mixture. Critical step - sit down and drink a
whole can of soda/beer. then use a putty knife to take paper off the wall.
DO NOT touch until the soda/beer can is empty or it won't all come off.

use same sprayer to apply TSP to the wall when the paper is off and wipe the
wall down. NOW paint away.

Unless you need the steam to warm up the home anyway ;-))

--

__________________________
Claudia
news

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:32:54 GMT, "Claudia" claudia@ ccwaterpolo.com
wrote:

I have the all time best and cheapest, least hot way to remove wallpaper.
Instructions must be followed to the letter. Garden sprayer with hot water
and Ivory liquid dishsoap. Tiger claw/paw the whole wall and spray it down
with the hot water/ivory mixture. Critical step - sit down and drink a
whole can of soda/beer. then use a putty knife to take paper off the wall.
DO NOT touch until the soda/beer can is empty or it won't all come off.

But beer works better than soda, doesn't it?

TaraDanielle

UGH I got the paper tiger, spent three hours removing about 3 feet
times three feet (behind a couch) to find that there is no drywall.
Just plywood. The paper doesn't peel off in sheets, it comes off in
tiny chips.

So I'm gonna avoid all of this work for no reason, just sand the
wallpaper lines, prime (maybe twice) and paint. Coral color I think
:-)
Tara
MJR

The lady that does and has done all our wallpapering in the room uses the
following method and it works very well as I have tried it myself in my
sewing room. Bucket of warm water, 2 cups vinegar or more, couple squirts of
dishsoap, a roller brush (the kind you paint with). Wet the rollerbrush in
the warm water and go over the wallpaper until well soaked (give or take
5-15 min) repeat if necessary (the wettening process) then use a spatula and
peel off.
I have tried the tiger claw but found with the vinyl coated wallpaper it
made lots of holes and yes the water got behind it, but when I got ready to
pull it off I had to do it in bits and pieces cause the claw had torn the
paper. I rather let the wall wet and then pull off in one sheet.
Hope this helps,
purple
"TaraDanielle" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I want to redo a room in my Cape Cod home. It has cheap white paint
over cheap light green paint over ugly wallpaper.

What is the easiest way to get it all down so I can paint it?

There are ugly lines showing through the paint, seams I guess. Half
of the rest of the house WAS done in paneling with no drywall behind
it. I fear finding that in this room too! The ugly lines are even on
the ceiling.

Tips? Steaming? A razor? Nu Wall over it? (worked very well on the
paneling upstairs)
THANKS
Tara

gina

Tara, I tried the paper tiger in one of the houses I helped with -
same situation - wallpaper with multiple coats of paint (gloss, of
course) on it. What a nightmare! We ended up using the paper tiger
over the seams, scraping any loose stuff off with a sharpened putty
knife, and basically sanding everything. I'm too much of a
perfectionist so I mudded and sanded everywhere. But then after the
primer it looked good. Light and Dark Green sponge paint :-) Heck,
that covered things so well, I didn't need to do all that sanding!
Best of luck. Sometimes I wanna bop people for painting over stuff!

=) Gina