Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Default Looking for Heat Exchanger/Reclaimer for Furnace Stack

In an age of rising taxes, rising fuel oil prices and rising electric costs,
I am looking for ways to stop the waste heat from exiting my chimney.

I have a Wickes W62 oil fired boiler with a 7" stack. I'm looking for either
or both of the following:

A heat exchanger with a forced-air fan that can extract some of the waste
heat and heat the basement.
A flu damper that shuts off flow to the chimney when the furnace is off.
Preferably one with active spring-loaded damper that wants to be in the open
position or with a failure mode that causes it to be open, also with some
delay, alowing it to close, say 10 seconds after the furnace has shut off.

I have insulated all the hot water pipes in the furnace room leading to the
rest of the house, thus reducing the temperature in the furnace area. This
area shares space with a workshop, so I need some heat. I remember a product
on the market some time back that consisted of a stainless steel box with
some hollow tubes in it--the box mounted in the stack pipe and had a
thermostaticly-controlled fan to force the warm air out of the tubes. I
spent some time searching Google last night but could not find a
manufacturer of anything similar.

Does anyone remember this product and who sells it?

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

donald girod

A flue damper on an oil furnace is probably not a retrofit item. I have
seen the things you put in the flue pipe with tubes, etc. at Northern Tool
and Equipment, but they don't seem to be in the catalog I have. You might
try looking at their web page.

My father heated our basement years ago by running the smoke pipe into a 30
gal. drum with a baffle in it to slow the gas down and let it heat the drum.
It was very effective. But you don't want the temperature in your chimney
to drop too low or you will get lots of condensation, acid, and gunk.

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message
[...]

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"mainiacs" wrote in message
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a436444.html

This is indeed the product I am looking for. However, when I click on
details for the product there is an application error and something about
the item number not being published. I'm going to peruse their main page and
see if they have a contact address. Also I can search on the product name on
Google. Thanks for the lead.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

CBhvac

"mainiacs" wrote in message
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a436444.html

This is indeed the product I am looking for. However, when I click on
details for the product there is an application error and something about
the item number not being published. I'm going to peruse their main page

and
see if they have a contact address. Also I can search on the product name

on
Google. Thanks for the lead.

That might be that in the day and age of the new code, those have been
deemed illegal in most areas.

Just as information.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

This is indeed the product I am looking for. However, when I click on
details for the product there is an application error and something

about
the item number not being published. I'm going to peruse their main page

and
see if they have a contact address. Also I can search on the product

name
on
Google. Thanks for the lead.

That might be that in the day and age of the new code, those have been
deemed illegal in most areas.

Just as information.

Hmmm, that seems to run counter to the general push to be more
environmentally and energy-friendly.
Illegal in most of the USA perhaps? If not all the USA, why would they
bother advertising it on a web site? The price of $115 looked good. I was
going to order one, when the site shot back some kind of server error.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

HeatMan

[...]

I'm just jumping in where CBHVAC has already started.

One of the problems I see with the contraption on the website is that it
cools the flue/chimney down. You say good, I say bad. If the flue cools
down enough, it could cause the water vapor in the flue gases (especially if
this is on a gas appliance) to condense. The water that condenses will have
a high pH and that could cause even an aluminum flue pipe to corrode away.

If it's used on a wood burner, I think it would be a little better, but that
chimney better be inspected and cleaned 2-3 times a year.

Stormin Mormon

I remebmer the product. I had a buddy some years ago who had one on his wood
burning stove. Perhaps you can get something like this at a fireplace shop?

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season