Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Default Looking for Heat Exchanger/Reclaimer for Furnace Stack

In an age of rising taxes, rising fuel oil prices and rising electric costs,
I am looking for ways to stop the waste heat from exiting my chimney.

I have a Wickes W62 oil fired boiler with a 7" stack. I'm looking for either
or both of the following:

A heat exchanger with a forced-air fan that can extract some of the waste
heat and heat the basement.
A flu damper that shuts off flow to the chimney when the furnace is off.
Preferably one with active spring-loaded damper that wants to be in the open
position or with a failure mode that causes it to be open, also with some
delay, alowing it to close, say 10 seconds after the furnace has shut off.

I have insulated all the hot water pipes in the furnace room leading to the
rest of the house, thus reducing the temperature in the furnace area. This
area shares space with a workshop, so I need some heat. I remember a product
on the market some time back that consisted of a stainless steel box with
some hollow tubes in it--the box mounted in the stack pipe and had a
thermostaticly-controlled fan to force the warm air out of the tubes. I
spent some time searching Google last night but could not find a
manufacturer of anything similar.

Does anyone remember this product and who sells it?

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com