Handi

Default Thermostat Wiring Electrical Code

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Handi

Eric Tonks

Go to Home Depot or equivalent and buy some "thermostat" cable. Choose
between two, three or five wires based on what you now have or your
thermostat needs. If you have to join cables you can wirenut the wires
together (add some tape to prevent any accidental contact loosening the
wirenuts). They don't need to be in a box.

"Handi" wrote in message
Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that

there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Handi

SQLit

"Handi" wrote in message
Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that

there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Handi

I agree, if your going to bury the splices I would use crimps on the wires
instead of wire nuts. Test everything before you move on.

John Hines

"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.

volts500

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that

there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

The NEC most certainly does regulate low voltage wiring. Thermostat,
telephone, TV, cable TV, Cat 5 (etc.), sound circuits, door bell, intercom,
low voltage lighting controls, and more, even landscape wiring is covered by
the NEC.
Thermostat wiring is usually Class 2, which is addressed by NEC Article
725. Probably the biggest concern is that the low voltage cables be
installed and terminations made such that they will not be (accidentally)
energized by higher voltage circuits.

They should also be protected from nail and screw penetration.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.

Stormin Mormon

For hot water heat only, the fellow is likely going to use 18-2, which is
red and white.

I also use wirenuts and then tape when something might come loose. And when
I'm doing heating, I often wear belt and suspenders.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

i.com...

"Handi" wrote in message
Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that

there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Handi

I-zheet M'drurz

On 24 Jan 2004, volts500 wrote:
"John Hines" wrote in message

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

The NEC most certainly does regulate low voltage wiring.
Thermostat, telephone, TV, cable TV, Cat 5 (etc.), sound
circuits, door bell, intercom, low voltage lighting controls,
and more, even landscape wiring is covered by the NEC.
Thermostat wiring is usually Class 2, which is addressed by NEC
Article 725. Probably the biggest concern is that the low
voltage cables be installed and terminations made such that they
will not be (accidentally) energized by higher voltage circuits.

Duh. Imagine that.

They should also be protected from nail and screw penetration.

Wow. Common sense. No ****, Sherlock.

Crawl back into your hole, anal-retentive codebot.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
RB

The NEC does address low voltage wiring but no area I'm aware of
inspects so it is of no effect. Remember that electricians are a guild
and would like to prevent anyone not a member to be prohibited from
competing.

I'm ducking now, having made a poignant observation.

RB

John Hines wrote:
"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.

Jeff Cochran

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:41:53 -0500, RB wrote:

The NEC does address low voltage wiring but no area I'm aware of
inspects so it is of no effect. Remember that electricians are a guild
and would like to prevent anyone not a member to be prohibited from
competing.

Locally, it is inspected and required to be permitted. Most of the
code is related to not connecting low voltage to any standard wiring,
and that's what the inspector's are looking at for the most part.
Commercially, they get very concerned about fire wall penetration, as
they do in multi-family residential. The other thing they are looking
at locally now is grounding, especially concerning low voltage
lighting and voice/data/entertainment with external connections.

But that's local issues. We have a very high percentage of new and
remodel construction that involves extensive low voltage for
entertainment, alarms, lighting, data/voice and so on, so that's one
reason it shows up on the inspector's radar here.

Jeff

John Hines wrote:
"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.

RB

I suspect the real reason it shoes up on the inspector's radar is that
they are worried about the "brotherhood" loosing out if too much moves
to low voltage control. They will next want to inspect optical signal
distribution.

May the Guilds be perpetuated.

Thankfully, I'm in an unincorporated area that doesn't inspect anything.
It's great.

RB

John Hines wrote:

"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.

HA HA Budys Here

Any low voltage that *controls* high or line voltage apparatus is within the
jurisdiction, and the legitimate concern of the NEC or your local AHJ.

Chris Lewis

According to HA HA Budys Here :
Any low voltage that *controls* high or line voltage apparatus is within the
jurisdiction, and the legitimate concern of the NEC or your local AHJ.

I'll also point out that the NEC rules are not only safety related, but
_also_ help improve the resulting system for the homeowner's benefit.

NEC/CEC rules talk about keeping separation (between power and LV) more than
1' and crossing at right angles "as much as possible".

Why? Well, of course, there's a paranoid safety element in there. But
following those rules also helps reduce hum and crosstalk in cable TV,
antennas, telephones, hi fi systems etc.

So, whether you care about the safety-nazi bit or the union bit or not,
following those rules as much as you can _is_ to your benefit in a better
quality installation and less electrical noise.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
CBhvac

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
i.com...
Go to Home Depot or equivalent and buy some "thermostat" cable. Choose
between two, three or five wires based on what you now have or your
thermostat needs. If you have to join cables you can wirenut the wires
together (add some tape to prevent any accidental contact loosening the
wirenuts). They don't need to be in a box.

What is he has18-8? Humm?