RB

Default Thermostat Wiring Electrical Code

I suspect the real reason it shoes up on the inspector's radar is that
they are worried about the "brotherhood" loosing out if too much moves
to low voltage control. They will next want to inspect optical signal
distribution.

May the Guilds be perpetuated.

Thankfully, I'm in an unincorporated area that doesn't inspect anything.
It's great.

RB

Jeff Cochran wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:41:53 -0500, RB wrote:

The NEC does address low voltage wiring but no area I'm aware of
inspects so it is of no effect. Remember that electricians are a guild
and would like to prevent anyone not a member to be prohibited from
competing.

Locally, it is inspected and required to be permitted. Most of the
code is related to not connecting low voltage to any standard wiring,
and that's what the inspector's are looking at for the most part.
Commercially, they get very concerned about fire wall penetration, as
they do in multi-family residential. The other thing they are looking
at locally now is grounding, especially concerning low voltage
lighting and voice/data/entertainment with external connections.

But that's local issues. We have a very high percentage of new and
remodel construction that involves extensive low voltage for
entertainment, alarms, lighting, data/voice and so on, so that's one
reason it shows up on the inspector's radar here.

Jeff

I'm ducking now, having made a poignant observation.

RB

John Hines wrote:

"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.