volts500

Default Thermostat Wiring Electrical Code

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Handi" wrote:

Is there an electrical code for thermostat wiring? I know that

there's
typically 24 VAC across the wires at probably a very small current level,
perhaps much less than half an amp.

The NEC doesn't regulate low voltage wiring.

The NEC most certainly does regulate low voltage wiring. Thermostat,
telephone, TV, cable TV, Cat 5 (etc.), sound circuits, door bell, intercom,
low voltage lighting controls, and more, even landscape wiring is covered by
the NEC.
Thermostat wiring is usually Class 2, which is addressed by NEC Article
725. Probably the biggest concern is that the low voltage cables be
installed and terminations made such that they will not be (accidentally)
energized by higher voltage circuits.

They should also be protected from nail and screw penetration.

I'm considering moving a thermostat and was considering using either
solid or stranded 18 gauge wire. Its for a simple hot water baseboard
radiator system, no HVAC.

Either will work, like the other poster said, go and get some thermostat
wire that matches the number of wires, so the colors are the same for
simplicity sakes, and extend as needed.