JC

Default wiring across joists

Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists (stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

It totally depends on your local by-law office rules.

Ours allows stapling wires under the joists as long as a 1" X 4" board is
nailed parallel to the wires to 'protect' them. I have no idea what
protection this gives - I would have thought they would require a wooden box
(or metal raceway) type barrier to 'protect' the wires.

"JC" wrote in message
link.net...
Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists

(stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

ChiliJim

I was once told by the local building inspector that the purpose of
the 1" X 4" board was to prevent you from hanging anything on the
exxposed wires. This was only a requirement if a permanent ceiling
(drywall) was not going to be installed immediately. (This was in a
basement of a new house that I had the builder prewire so that I could
finsish it in the future). He insisted that it was guaranteed that me
(or my wife) would eventually hang something (like a coat hanger) on
the wires for expediency. Seemed pretty anal to me at the time but it
didn't take much effort for the builder to nail up some scrap siding
and the inspector was happy.

After he left the builder (30 yrs. experience) muttered, "that guy was
flipping hamburgers three weeks ago and now he's telling me how to do
construction".

Jim

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:11:09 GMT, "A" wrote:

It totally depends on your local by-law office rules.

Ours allows stapling wires under the joists as long as a 1" X 4" board is
nailed parallel to the wires to 'protect' them. I have no idea what
protection this gives - I would have thought they would require a wooden box
(or metal raceway) type barrier to 'protect' the wires.

"JC" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists

(stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

EJ

"ChiliJim" wrote in message
news
[...]

"JC" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists

(stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have

run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

My scared book sayeth:

"Exposed Romex cable smaller than 8AWG if three-conductor or smaller than
6AWG if two-conductor running across joists in unfinished basements must
either be run through holes in joists or on running boards (see 334.15(C) in
2002 NEC)."

EJ

Phisherman

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:54:19 GMT, "JC" wrote:

Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists (stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

Drill a hole through the center of each joist.

Jimmy

"EJ" wrote in message
"ChiliJim" wrote in message
news
[...]

"JC" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists
(stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I

have
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks

My scared book sayeth:

"Exposed Romex cable smaller than 8AWG if three-conductor or smaller than
6AWG if two-conductor running across joists in unfinished basements must
either be run through holes in joists or on running boards (see 334.15(C)

in
2002 NEC)."

EJ

When I built new garage I had an issue with this since the wiring I put in

was suppose to be temporary(2 years). I wanted to staple the wires on the
bottom of the ceiling joist. AT first they said I had to drill the joist,
then I got them to let me run it over the top of the ceiling joist. Anyway
when I get through there will be 4" wireway around the perimeter of the shop
with all wiring done from there.

Tom Horne

When I built new garage I had an issue with this since the wiring I put in
was suppose to be temporary(2 years). I wanted to staple the wires on the
bottom of the ceiling joist. AT first they said I had to drill the joist,
then I got them to let me run it over the top of the ceiling joist. Anyway
when I get through there will be 4" wireway around the perimeter of the shop
with all wiring done from there.

When you wire a shop, laboratory, or modern office that kind of approach
is the way to go. I have installed perimeter raceway in those
occupancies as well as in museums and historic homes. The raceway is
available in a cross sectional dimension that lends itself to being
installed in place of baseboards so that you can have any outlet at any
point along the wall line. If I should ever have a custom home built I
think I may install it in every room.
--
Tom H