Default wiring across joists

It totally depends on your local by-law office rules.

Ours allows stapling wires under the joists as long as a 1" X 4" board is
nailed parallel to the wires to 'protect' them. I have no idea what
protection this gives - I would have thought they would require a wooden box
(or metal raceway) type barrier to 'protect' the wires.

"JC" wrote in message
link.net...
Per NEC, can romex wiring be run across the faces of ceiling joists

(stapled
to the faces) if a suspended ceiling will be installed? (or do I have to
run between joists and drill through as needed?)

Thanks