Angus

Default Rat problem

I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able to
eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.
Angus

Joseph Meehan

I suggest you farm out the dog for a week or two and get serious about
those rats.

The other solution, and maybe better, is to call in the pro. They know
what works well in your part of the country, time of year etc. They can
also inspect and advice you about other actions such as closing off access
or removing food sources, to keep them out.

Frankly I would go for the pro.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Angus" wrote in message
I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able

eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.
Angus

JNJ

I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able

eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.

A number of years ago, rats made their way into our home. Since it was the
first time I had dealt with rodents, I did not realize they were here at
all. When I did, I picked up a HavAHeart (yeah, I was much more kinder and
gentler back then). This went on for a few weeks.

After catching and releasing the 3rd one, I decided there might be a problem
(I released them a few miles away). So, I picked the good ole Victor snap
traps -- baited them with Peanut Butter and put them out. After clearing
the 70th dead rat from the trap I called a family friend who happens to be a
professional exterminator.

He used a variety of bait blocks that I *THINK* is only available to the
pros. We put them in the basement (dogs cannot access this area) and a
couple of select holes outdoors. He left the bucket with those that
remained and I just set them on the basement floor, open.

It's been over 5 years now and wouldn't you know it -- I just found another
old rat carcass down there that I missed. All told, we killed close to 100
of the things in the end. My 3 dogs all survived just fine -- one chewed a
little bait off when we were setting it out but not enough to get sick. The
antidote is commonly vitamin K for this particular bait.

The moral of the story: Don't mess around with this one; they already
outnumber you, probably 10 to 1 or more. Use the bait, use bait rigs that
prevent animals from getting to them, and/or use a professional exterminator
to get the job done.

James

Countdown to 55

I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able to
eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.
Angus

If you know you have rats, the problem has likely already gotten out of hand.
For every rat you see, there are plenty more behind that one that you *don't*
see. And boy, can they do damage. Rats got in between the walls of a friend's
townhouse and did a whole lot of chewing on the wiring, giving her a big fat
repair bill. Just a couple of little ol' field mice decided to take up
housekeeping under my dishwasher and did a number on both the wiring and the
hoses. They also chewed right thru the plaster wall that the dishwasher backs
up to.

For the mice, I set spring traps, got rid of the mice, and still set traps
every couple of months. Got rid of all the food in the kitchen cabinets for
awhile too so there was no food to attract them.

The friend with the rats called in the professionals, and for rats, that's what
I'd do if it ever happened to me. I would think rats could just do too much
damage too quickly to fool around with. With whatever they're going to use,
the professional can likely tell you if maybe you should send the dog on
vacation to some friends or relatives for a bit til the problem is resolved.

Good luck!

Cindy

Arra Movsesien

here we use 10 pound sledge and run around till we are tired ,
usually get 4 or 5 for stew,,, sometimes we get our toes though, if real
bad we use our toes to,,
hope I helpeed yo all, Araa Movsesien

Arra Movsesien

Send me,,, please ,,,,, I want em,,,,, send me there,,, ,I love them
rats , fried , boiled , baked, sauteeed, garlicked, oillicked,
greaselicked, stuffed , chickenfried, rats is us,,,, Arraa rats,
Movsesien,,,,, send em to me , im rats for rats!!
6340 N Gentry Ave
Fresno ca IM A Rat Love RATS

Stormin Mormon

Have a good look to try to find any holes they use to enter. Plug the holes,
patch with wood, or fill with Touch N Seal, or Great Stuff expanding foam.
The critters don't like the chemicals in the foam, and will leave it alone.
So I'm told...

I liked the one about farm out the dog for a week and get serious. Include
pie pans of glycol in your strategy.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Angus" wrote in message
I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be able to
eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.
Angus

Michael Baugh

If you've got rats, you're feeding them. And most every
time someone complains about rats, they've got a dog.
Rats eat poop. Dogs poop outside. What an excellent
relationship.
http://www.vbgov.com/dept/gensvcs/pdf/rat_control.pdf

Kathy wrote in message

"Angus" wrote in message
I don't know if this is a home repair problem or not but we've had Rats

in
our basement for a while now. I managed to trap and kill a couple but

I'm
sure there are more around.
I don't want to use poison cause I have a dog . I've been using the
conventional Rat Trap type of spring trap but the buggers seem to be

able
eat the bait right off the trap without triggering it sometimes. I need
this problem gone before it gets out of hand.
Angus

Get some cats.

Tom J

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Have a good look to try to find any holes they use to enter. Plug the holes,
patch with wood, or fill with Touch N Seal, or Great Stuff expanding foam.
The critters don't like the chemicals in the foam, and will leave it alone.
So I'm told...

You've been told wrong! They can go through Great Stuff in a hole through a
12 inch wall in 15 minutes. Stood by and saw it with my own eyes. That's
when the poison went out!!

Tom J

Arra Movsesien

RATS IM AARRAA THE RAT, FEED EM CATCH EM TRAPPEM
ILL BE BACK

Arra Movsesien

RATS IM AARRAA THE RAT, FEED EM CATCH EM TRAPPEM
ILL BE BACK

mark Ransley

KILL FILE THIS MONVSESIEN

mark Ransley

KILL FILE THIS MONVSESIEN

MSH

Cats
Dry mix of concrete and oatmeal, they eat, get thirsty and harden.
5 gallon bucket half filled with water with a ramp allowing rat access. They
fall in and drown if they have no other water source. Very effective.
Poison, but the dog likes it just as much. If the dog eats some, it's easily
countered with Vitamin K12 from the vet.
Cats.

MH

Stormin Mormon

Thanks a million for the real world wisdom.

I'm obviously misteakin. (spelling air intenshunal)

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:22:05 -0400, "Tom J" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Have a good look to try to find any holes they use to enter. Plug the

holes,
patch with wood, or fill with Touch N Seal, or Great Stuff expanding

foam.
The critters don't like the chemicals in the foam, and will leave it

alone.
So I'm told...

You've been told wrong! They can go through Great Stuff in a hole through

12 inch wall in 15 minutes. Stood by and saw it with my own eyes. That's
when the poison went out!!

Tom J

I live on a farm and there are always mice problems no matter what I
do. But once there was a rat problem in the barn, which I stopped by
putting all my livestock feed into metal containers, and getting about
a dozen outdoor cats. However, one of the rats got into the house,
and I traced it to a hole next to a drain pipe. That day I went and
got a can of Great Stuff and plugged the hole. The next day I heard
the rat digging away the Great Stuff around that pipe. It was really
gnawing away at it. I took a nail and punctured a small hole in the
Great Stuff, and could tell there was little left. Everything got
quiet for a few hours. That night I heard the scratching next to that
pipe again. I carefully inserted the plastic tube on the nozzle of
the Great Stuff can into my nail hole, and let him have it full force
from the can. I dont know if it was just luck, or if I embeded the
entire rat in that stuff, but I never heard from that rat again. I
still wonder if the rat is permanently encased in foam.

So, Great Stuff will NOT stop them, unless you are lucky enough to get
it on them directly. I doubt I'd ever be that lucky again.

HeatMan

[...]

Great stuff alone won't stop rodents. If you really want to stop them, fill
the hole with steel wool, then fill the hole with Great Stuff. The
can't/won't chew through the metal.

soma_mom

I know this is a late reply, but I have a few things to add. If you
have a chronic rat problem, chances are pretty good you'll need a
professioanl. The most important thing you need to know is that there
are differnt kinds of professionals.

We first called an exterminator/pest control company (Terminix). All
they did was put out traps and pick up the carcasses. The problem
didn't go away until they finally referred us to a company called
Proof It, also in the "Pest Control" area of the yellow pages, that
specializes in "animal exclusion, cleansing, and sanitation." These
guys were not cheap and must be making a bundle an hour, but the guy
that came out found every hole in the roof, attic, and crawl space,
and sealed it up nice and neat--nothing ugly or even obvious. They
also removed all the NASTY insulation that had been soaked with rat
urine and a whole bunch of carcasses that were the result of
poisoning. (Besides the pet/child health risk, I don't recommend
poisoning--the previous owners of our house did that and there were
putrid smells coming from our bedroom wall where the rats scurried
back and forth.)

The problem's been away for well over a year. I didn't want to buy our
house because it smelled so bad when we looked at it, but now that
we've conquered the rat problem, it's in great shape. Good luck!

Mary