Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT New Car Test Drive Insurance Coverage

I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an auto
insurance coverage card to take a test drive.

Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I wouldn't
have any auto insurance. So then what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 8:59 AM, Earl Grey wrote:
I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an auto
insurance coverage card to take a test drive.

Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I wouldn't
have any auto insurance. So then what?

Never heard of asking for insurance. I've bought about 25 cars over the
years and have never been asked. Maybe the dealer does it to filter out
questionable buyers. If you don't have insurance on your present car
you are probably not fiscally responsible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 7:59 AM, Earl Grey wrote:
I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an auto
insurance coverage card to take a test drive.

Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I wouldn't
have any auto insurance. So then what?

They should have a Garage policy to cover test drives, at least those
brief jaunts taken with a dealership employee in the vehicle with you.
But if you're taking the car out by yourself, the terms of their
policy might require them obtaining proof of coverage by the driver.

I'd never heard of this practice before, but a brief google search
shows it's not uncommon.

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried,
told him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her. No dice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:59:51 -0400, Earl Grey
wrote:

I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an auto
insurance coverage card to take a test drive.

Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I wouldn't
have any auto insurance. So then what?

I know a guy who has a small used car dealership, and also he has a
small salvage yard and sells used car parts. I bought a used car from
him, after taking it for a test drive. He never asked for anything, but
I know him, so he may ask others???

Anyhow, I asked him if anyone ever had an accident while taking a test
drive, and he said NO, but said he pays a lot of money for insurance
just to cover that sort of thing.

After we completed the paperwork, he handed me the title and was ready
to take off his dealership license plates. Thats when I asked him if I
could drive it home with his plates (it was too late in the day to get
my own plates and go to my insurance company). I told him I'd bring his
plates back immediately using my other (licensed) vehicle. He told me
that once the paperwork is completed and the vehicle is in the name of
the buyer, he MUST remove his dealer plates, and the buyer can not use
them. However, he said that there was a way around it.

He took back the title, and said "lets take another test drive TO YOUR
HOUSE". When we get there, I will give you the title back, remove the
plates, and you have to drive me home in your licensed vehicle.

I said "Not a problem".

As long as the title was still in his hands, his dealer plate and
insurance still covered the vehicle....
So, in case I would have gotten pulled over by the cops, the title was
still in his hands, meaning the vehicle was still "His", even though I
had paid him and completed the paperwork....
That worked out nicely!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an auto
insurance coverage card to take a test drive.
Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I wouldn't
have any auto insurance. So then what?

About 1 year ago, when I was car-shopping - I test drove about 15
cars - from over 10 dealers - new / used / big / small dealers -
not once asked to provide my insurance.
In your case - a new car dealership - should perhaps be asked
if the manufacturer and/or the dealership association has endorsed
this practice ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 9:44 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried, told
him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her. No dice.

Ouch, that's an expensive lesson. Here you can't register without
insurance. The dealer will contact your agent and take care of it
before you get the keys.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/26/2016 12:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/26/2016 9:44 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried, told
him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her. No dice.

Ouch, that's an expensive lesson. Here you can't register without
insurance. The dealer will contact your agent and take care of it before
you get the keys.

Yeah, there's a "more to the story" something in that one methinks. For
ours, presuming premiums are paid at the time, a new vehicle is
automagically covered once a simple phone call is made to the agent
informing them of the fact.

Somebody seriously screwed up there...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 2:04 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Her first car, so she didn't have a policy yet. I can't remember if it
was a used car or new, but given her age, it was probably used.

My first new car was totaled by a drunk driver the very first time I
took it out for a drive. My insurance covered it, but that experience,
plus my boss's daughter's experience, pretty much drove it home that
yes, you can have an accident with your newly-purchased vehicle, so
you'd better make sure you're covered before you take it off the lot.
In fact, the next new car I bought very nearly lost the windshield to
an errant baseball on its way home from the dealership. I drove past a
municipal ballpark and suddenly this baseball came flying across the
street, just missing my car. A sibling happened to be in her car
behind mine and also saw it. She followed me to my house, just to tell
me she'd nearly had a heart attack seeing the ball headed for my new car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/16 1:04 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/26/2016 12:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/26/2016 9:44 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried, told
him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her. No dice.

Ouch, that's an expensive lesson. Here you can't register without
insurance. The dealer will contact your agent and take care of it before
you get the keys.

Yeah, there's a "more to the story" something in that one methinks. For
ours, presuming premiums are paid at the time, a new vehicle is
automagically covered once a simple phone call is made to the agent
informing them of the fact.

Somebody seriously screwed up there...

I thought it was standard policy that a person's existing coverage
extends to a new vehicle for a few days, giving the new owner time to
call and add the new vehicle to the policy. I know mine does, on *any*
car that I drive.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 15:07:39 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried,
told him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her.

Ouch, that's an expensive lesson. Here you can't register without
insurance.

Yeah - I would have thought that was universal - no ?
Here in Ontario, you need proof of insurance before you get your
plates and when you renew your plates.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 1:27 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 10/26/16 1:04 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Since it was her "first car". she probably didn't have existing
coverage. If she got a loan for the car, I'd expect the loaner to
demand insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So how do you show "proof of insurance" when you total your new
Ferrari a block from the dealer after running over an old lady and her
grand-baby ? .. while drunk. I would hate to be trusting any
insurance company to cover that ! Have you tried to read insurance
policies lately ?
.. you need a slip of paper with the vehicle VIN and the policy
number, and dates. It isn't auto-magic or standard - get the slip
of paper before you drive away. slip of paper could be digital
I recently had to phone & email our Insurance Broker to confirm
that our policy covered a rental car when on vacation - the policy
wording was so confusing and vague .. they do that intentionally ..
They have more lawyers ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 10/26/2016 5:59 AM, Earl Grey wrote:
I visited a new car dealer who required a driver's license and an
auto insurance coverage card to take a test drive.

On test drives the salesman understandably wants to see my license. I'm
OK with that. But they also always wanted to make a copy of it. I've
always refused. They've never denied my test drive because of that. My
suspicion is that if I walked they had my info and thus someplace to
send future ads.

Requiring a driver's license makes sense, but their insurance would
cover their car, no? If I was a first time car buyer, then I
wouldn't have any auto insurance. So then what?

They've never asked for my proof of insurance until the sale is
complete. Not sure why. I doubt the car is legally mine until the title
is officially transferred into my name at the MVD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2016 7:35 PM, AL wrote:

They've never asked for my proof of insurance until the sale is
complete. Not sure why. I doubt the car is legally mine until the title
is officially transferred into my name at the MVD.

they don't care about insurance until registration time. You can have a
title with no insurance, but you cannot register it to drive (in most
states) unless insured.