Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default OT New Car Test Drive Insurance Coverage

A former boss's daughter drove her newly-bought first car off the lot
without getting insurance first. She had an accident a block away from
the dealership. Car totaled. No insurance. She called daddy, cried, told
him the story, and asked him to cover the loss for her. No dice.

Ouch, that's an expensive lesson. Here you can't register without
insurance. The dealer will contact your agent and take care of it before
you get the keys.

Yeah, there's a "more to the story" something in that one methinks. For
ours, presuming premiums are paid at the time, a new vehicle is
automagically covered once a simple phone call is made to the agent
informing them of the fact.

I thought it was standard policy that a person's existing coverage
extends to a new vehicle for a few days, giving the new owner time to
call and add the new vehicle to the policy. I know mine does, on *any*
car that I drive.
Jon

So how do you show "proof of insurance" when you total your new
Ferrari a block from the dealer after running over an old lady and her
grand-baby ? .. while drunk. I would hate to be trusting any
insurance company to cover that ! Have you tried to read insurance
policies lately ?
.. you need a slip of paper with the vehicle VIN and the policy
number, and dates. It isn't auto-magic or standard - get the slip
of paper before you drive away. slip of paper could be digital
I recently had to phone & email our Insurance Broker to confirm
that our policy covered a rental car when on vacation - the policy
wording was so confusing and vague .. they do that intentionally ..
They have more lawyers ..
John T.