Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Applying Braille Markers to U.S. Highways

Blind Americans are at a great disadvantage, since they can not drive
cars on U.S. Highways. Yet, these people could be traveling our roads
and highways if all roads and highways had braille markings on their
pavement. These braille strips would be attached to the pavement in the
center of each lane. Blind drivers would have specially equipped cars,
which have a hole in the floor, next to the drivers seat. The blind
driver could then slip their hand into this hole, and read the braille
markings on the road, telling them when to turn, the speed limit, and
other valuable road information. The car would also speak the current
speed as noted on the speedometer, and the language could be adjusted to
speak English, Spanish, or other languages.

Why are we neglecting the Blind in America?
They need to drive to their jobs, and need to get out to do some
sightseeing too.

Support the Blind, insist that your community install braille road
strips on all roads and highways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 06:34:21 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 2:20:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

At least they would be able to drive to the existing Braille ATM's.

Correct, but all gas stations would need to have braille gas pumps too.
As the price and gallon numbers change, there would be a rotating wheel,
on the handle of the nozzle, with braille to feel how much gas was being
put into the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Be a nice guy and help out the next blind driver you encounter. Stand in
the middle of the lane and point out the next turn they need to make.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 7:58:18 AM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Or act as a oral hood ornament calling out directions.

I take it the OP was making a joke but suspect he was serious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

An 82 year old friend was just telling me he got his drivers license
renewed. He was worried about the eye test because he has 20/50 vision
but he passed. They also renewed the license for 8 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 6:06:30 PM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
[...]

I take it the OP was making a joke but suspect (know) he is an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

An 82 year old friend was just telling me he got his drivers license
renewed. He was worried about the eye test because he has 20/50 vision
but he passed. They also renewed the license for 8 years.

Good for him. Met a guy the other day. Thought hw as about 70 but he
is 91. Still drives better than most and takes his boat out fishing
deep sea. Hope I can do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 9:47:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2016 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

An 82 year old friend was just telling me he got his drivers license
renewed. He was worried about the eye test because he has 20/50 vision
but he passed. They also renewed the license for 8 years.

Good for him. Met a guy the other day. Thought hw as about 70 but he
is 91. Still drives better than most and takes his boat out fishing
deep sea. Hope I can do the same.

I'm not sure of the age I would use, but at some point there should be a driving test
required for anyone over say 65, maybe 70, 75. I'm well past middle age and you if
want to start testing me now, feel free. Pull my license when it's no longer safe for me
to be on the road.

I can't say for sure if I'll ever hand it in on my own...and I won't know until the time comes.
If I won't, then someone should pull it for me. A road test is the only way to stop some people
from driving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 10:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not sure of the age I would use, but at some point there should be a driving test
required for anyone over say 65, maybe 70, 75. I'm well past middle age and you if
want to start testing me now, feel free. Pull my license when it's no longer safe for me
to be on the road.

I can't say for sure if I'll ever hand it in on my own...and I won't know until the time comes.
If I won't, then someone should pull it for me. A road test is the only way to stop some people
from driving.

At 71 I still drive better than most. I hope I'm smart enough to know
when I'm done. I do see some older people that should not be behind the
wheel though. OTOH, I know some people that should not be driving at 30.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 11:09:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2016 10:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not sure of the age I would use, but at some point there should be a driving test
required for anyone over say 65, maybe 70, 75. I'm well past middle age and you if
want to start testing me now, feel free. Pull my license when it's no longer safe for me
to be on the road.

I can't say for sure if I'll ever hand it in on my own...and I won't know until the time comes.
If I won't, then someone should pull it for me. A road test is the only way to stop some people
from driving.

At 71 I still drive better than most. I hope I'm smart enough to know
when I'm done. I do see some older people that should not be behind the
wheel though. OTOH, I know some people that should not be driving at 30.

Would you be willing to be tested every few years as a means to keep those
bad drivers off the road, as well as eliminate the possibility that you (and I) aren't
smart enough to know when we're done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2016 11:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At 71 I still drive better than most. I hope I'm smart enough to know
when I'm done. I do see some older people that should not be behind the
wheel though. OTOH, I know some people that should not be driving at 30.

Would you be willing to be tested every few years as a means to keep those
bad drivers off the road, as well as eliminate the possibility that you (and I) aren't
smart enough to know when we're done?

Today I'm going to say yes. Ten years from now I may know but not be so
willing to turn in my license. Testing at about 70 or 75 makes sense
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Only test required in Delaware to get a drivers license renewed is eye
test and you do it at the the renewal window just reading one line in a
viewer. You can get 5 or 8 years which they say is random lottery. My
wife got 8, I got 5.

But they can pull your license for some offense or maybe doctor says you
cannot drive anymore. Don't know if doctors can report this to the state.

Classmate in Florida told us at a reunion that he had just bought a new
car and doctor told him that he was not allowed to drive any more.

I've been taking the defensive driving renewal course every three year
for insurance savings. They said that the average person stops driving
about 5 years before the end of their life.

With the advent of self driving cars you might be able to drive for
life. Just sit in the car and tell the car where to go. Sit back, turn
the TV on, pop a beer and enjoy the ride.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:36:45 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Classmate in Florida told us at a reunion that he had just bought a new
car and doctor told him that he was not allowed to drive any more.

He just need to find another doctor.

UKraine to trial 'electric highways' to charge car batteries on the road NEMO Home Repair 6 August 16th 15 05:47 PM
Braille furniture? RicodJour Woodworking 22 April 20th 11 03:46 AM
What will rejuvenate markers? Doc Home Repair 9 November 13th 07 01:26 PM
Prismatic markers BillR Woodturning 6 February 27th 07 12:21 AM
Planning and Highways [email protected] UK diy 9 August 19th 05 09:03 AM