Default Planning and Highways

I finally tracked down the bloke from highways who was instrumental in
me having to withdraw my application to renovate my porch (making it a
bit bigger)and move my driveway. His objection was that he "felt" that
visibility would be affected exiting the driveway. It took quite an
effort to tease any numbers out of him, as he kept talking about
"feelings". Basically he said that at 2m from the carriageway, at the
centre of the driveway (which is being moved sideways), the new porch
would obstruct the view.

This has left me totally perplexed. The existing porch is 2.2m back
from the carriageway, and does not limit the view in any way. The
proposed porch is wider, but comes exactly the same distance forward.
Neither of which limit visibility. You have to look back over your
shoulder to see them, and they are masked by the buildings behind. To
make matters slightly more perplexing, the guy says that the existing
porch is OK!

Is there anything one can do when faced with such a situation apart
from capitulate? If I can't renovate the porch I might as well knock it
down as it is a tiny late-60s flat roofed eye-sore.

LGF

Rob Morley

In article .com,
" says...

[...]

I have no experience in this area but it seems to me that you could
draw scale plans of the current layout and your proposed
modifications. Mark the lines of sight. If the proposed layout
seems no worse than the current one then show this guy the plans and
ask him what he "feels" about them now.
Christian McArdle

Is there anything one can do when faced with such a situation apart
from capitulate? If I can't renovate the porch I might as well knock it
down as it is a tiny late-60s flat roofed eye-sore.

Submit your proposal anyway.

Mock up the new porch with some 2x4 and plastic tarpaulins. Take pictures
from the road to show that it doesn't affect traffic sightlines.

Christian.

dennis@home

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Is there anything one can do when faced with such a situation apart
from capitulate? If I can't renovate the porch I might as well knock it
down as it is a tiny late-60s flat roofed eye-sore.

Submit your proposal anyway.

Mock up the new porch with some 2x4 and plastic tarpaulins. Take pictures
from the road to show that it doesn't affect traffic sightlines.

He is probably more worried about the owner running a pedestrian over.
There may well be a good view of the cars but what about the pavement?

Rob Morley wrote:

I have no experience in this area but it seems to me that you could
draw scale plans of the current layout and your proposed
modifications. Mark the lines of sight. If the proposed layout
seems no worse than the current one then show this guy the plans and
ask him what he "feels" about them now.

He has detailed before and after plans done by an architect. I think I
will have to resubmit my planning application with the porch replaced
by a canopy. When (hopefully) that goes through, I will immediately
submit a separate application for a porch. I can't afford to risk the
main changes I want to do. This planning application has been dragging
on for ages (no objections from the neighbours) and I've already
borrowed the money!!

LGF

There is no pavement. Few pedestrians round here - though plenty of
walkers ;-) Even if there was a pavement, the rule is 2.4m
(exceptionally 2m) back from the carriageway.

LGF

The guy says he has been to the site. I've recently bought some
software that might just be able to do what you suggest. However, given
that it is crystal clear from the plans that the porch is behind you at
the point you take your sightlines, and obvious when you are on site,
I'm not sure that showing the same thing again will help. The existing
porch is OK according to him, but a slightly wider one isn't, both of
which are behind you.

If I annoy the bloke, he could move the visibility splay back to 2.4m.
If he does this, then the new porch will be arguably the limiting
factor to visibility, but we are talking centimetres at most. At this
point it's probably not a good idea to irritate him, however when I
have the other permissions I need, I think I would like to.

LGF