Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Planning and Highways

I finally tracked down the bloke from highways who was instrumental in
me having to withdraw my application to renovate my porch (making it a
bit bigger)and move my driveway. His objection was that he "felt" that
visibility would be affected exiting the driveway. It took quite an
effort to tease any numbers out of him, as he kept talking about
"feelings". Basically he said that at 2m from the carriageway, at the
centre of the driveway (which is being moved sideways), the new porch
would obstruct the view.

This has left me totally perplexed. The existing porch is 2.2m back
from the carriageway, and does not limit the view in any way. The
proposed porch is wider, but comes exactly the same distance forward.
Neither of which limit visibility. You have to look back over your
shoulder to see them, and they are masked by the buildings behind. To
make matters slightly more perplexing, the guy says that the existing
porch is OK!

Is there anything one can do when faced with such a situation apart
from capitulate? If I can't renovate the porch I might as well knock it
down as it is a tiny late-60s flat roofed eye-sore.

LGF