Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Prismatic markers

I am thinking of getting a bit 'arty'.

I have seen reference to 'Prismatic Markers' as being suitable for colouring
(or coloring, I'm in the UK) wood, but I can't find them. I suspect that
they are a US product.

Is 'Prismatic' a generic name or a brand name.

Does anyone know whether they are water or spirit based?

Thanks

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BillR wrote:
I am thinking of getting a bit 'arty'.

I have seen reference to 'Prismatic Markers' as being suitable for colouring
(or coloring, I'm in the UK) wood, but I can't find them. I suspect that
they are a US product.

Is 'Prismatic' a generic name or a brand name.

Does anyone know whether they are water or spirit based?

Thanks

BillR

The only "Prismatic Marker" I have ever heard of is the
plastic reflectors that you use for driveway markers.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I am thinking of getting a bit 'arty'.

I have seen reference to 'Prismatic Markers' as being suitable for colouring
(or coloring, I'm in the UK) wood, but I can't find them. I suspect that they
are a US product.

Is 'Prismatic' a generic name or a brand name.

Does anyone know whether they are water or spirit based?

I don't recognize that particular brand name or type. One thing to be concerned
about with markers is that most are dye based and many of the dyes are fugitive.
That is, they will bleed over time. Perhaps not in the first week or month, but
give them a year and they spread.

Perhaps you were told Prismacolor pencils? They are a medium soft wax colored
pencils. Not the hard type, but not as soft as crayons. You can get them at art
supply stores. Get the round type, not the hexagons (they are harder). After
sketching, seal them with acrylic spray, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:29:15 -0500, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

[...]

A bit of searching found a fly-tying site that stocks "prismatic
markers"
http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4210.
Looking closely at the image, they are Prismacolor brand but not the
pencils, instead they are double-ended wet markers.

According to the Prismacolor site
http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/consumer/prismacolor/product/catalog.jhtml
they use alcohol-based dye ink.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , BillR
wrote:

I am thinking of getting a bit 'arty'.

I have seen reference to 'Prismatic Markers' as being suitable for colouring
(or coloring, I'm in the UK) wood, but I can't find them. I suspect that
they are a US product.

Is 'Prismatic' a generic name or a brand name.

Does anyone know whether they are water or spirit based?

Thanks

BillR

Do you mean "Prismacolor"?
If so, then spirit based.

-j

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies.

Prismacolor, not Prismatic, looks like for what I should have been
searching.

I am hoping to limit the bleed by outlining with a pyrograph.

If that doesn't work I shall pretend that's what I was intending and pass it
off as Art.

BillR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A bit of searching found a fly-tying site that stocks "prismatic
markers"
http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4210.
Looking closely at the image, they are Prismacolor brand but not the
pencils, instead they are double-ended wet markers.

According to the Prismacolor site
http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/consumer/prismacolor/product/catalog.jhtml
they use alcohol-based dye ink.

Thanks for finding this. So, they are in the art marker busines now, too. It is
very likely that those dyes are fugitive, so be careful. Now that I think of it
I recall seeing some of my students using these. I preferred another brand,
using xylol/alcohol. Art markers are intended for sized paper. We left the caps
off overnight so they'd dry out some and wouldn't be so juicy. That gave them
the ability to blend and gradate. To each, his own. Dan