Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Doc Doc is offline

Default What will rejuvenate markers?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

In article ,
Mark Thorson wrote:

Doc wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

If I recall correctly, toluene was eliminated from
bottles of correction fluid because kids were using
it as an inhalant to get high.

How do we know that's not what you were planning
to do? I've added your name to our database of
potential drug abusers. You won't be getting
any trick-or-treaters tonight! :-)

How do I get on that list. Then I could keep the candy for myself (g).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paint department. Read the labels of cleaners, strippers and thinners.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:09:05 -0800, Mark Thorson
wrote:

Doc wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

If I recall correctly, toluene was eliminated from
bottles of correction fluid because kids were using
it as an inhalant to get high.

Correction fluid was used by supervisors to correct errors on the
monitor. One person that had a money connection to correction fluid
was in prison. It became water based later.. banned for employees.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doc wrote in
oups.com:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

denatured alcohol.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Oren wrote:

Correction fluid was used by supervisors to correct errors on the
monitor.

CRT or LCD? Blonde supervisors?

One person that had a money connection to correction fluid
was in prison. It became water based later.. banned for employees.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:03:22 -0700, Doc wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Once in a great, great while - plain water might help - for about 5 minutes
at least. As JimL says, the best solution is to buy a new one. I like the
Prismacolor Premier because of the huge selection of colors - art stores
and Staples.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Oct 31, 2:03 pm, Doc wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

The markers they sell now smell more of xylene (xylol) than toluene.
If the marker is dry you should be able to wick some solvent by
dipping the tip in a shallow pool of xylene in the bottom of a jar,
sealing, and leaving it for a few hours. When the solvent starts to
color from the ink, you are done.

This won't get much solvent into the pen, and expect it to dry out
soon. Drilling a tiny hole (watch for sparks!) and injecting the
solvent with a syringe might work. Seal the hole with a small sheet
metal screw. Tape won't stick for long.

See? Isn't it better to buy fresh markers?

Dangerous Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.chem,alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Nov 1, 5:03 am, Doc wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I advise you to buy a new one.it's not expensive,isn't it?

Rejuvenate a VFD display? Ancient_Hacker Electronics Repair 2 February 27th 07 05:09 AM
Prismatic markers BillR Woodturning 6 February 27th 07 01:21 AM
Scope intensity markers, why not Ancient_Hacker Electronics Repair 20 April 10th 06 10:02 PM
Sandstone address markers (or similar)? [0T?] [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 14th 05 12:35 AM
Rejuvenate corroded faucet? Walter R. Home Repair 6 April 18th 05 07:53 AM