Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing 5" cans

We are remodeling and have chosen to install some 5" cans in the ceiling.

Went to Menards and found a couple of selections by Patriot and Sylvania.

Question:

What type is best to install for remodeling ? Of course all have the spring tabs that spread-out and hold against the dry-wall. But its seems there is the older style of large bare metal cans w/o the baffle included, and then some new styles that require a smaller hole and the baffle and trim are included ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 6:31:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We are remodeling and have chosen to install some 5" cans in the ceiling.

Went to Menards and found a couple of selections by Patriot and Sylvania.

Question:

What type is best to install for remodeling ? Of course all have the spring tabs that spread-out and hold against the dry-wall. But its seems there is the older style of large bare metal cans w/o the baffle included, and then some new styles that require a smaller hole and the baffle and trim are included ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Any suggestions ?

Most people install CFL or LED bulbs, so is the heat factor really an issue ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 15:46:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Most people install CFL or LED bulbs, so is the heat factor really an issue ?

What does the local code deem necessary?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Any suggestions ?

Most people install CFL or LED bulbs, so is the heat factor really an
issue ?

I wouldn't install lights with clips. I'd open the
ceiling and put in boxes with mountings, so
that the clips are in the cylinder and not attaching
to the ceiling. The clip type tend to come lose over
time. But that's just my opinion. It may not be
feasible for you to open the ceiling.

As for heat, that's always a risk with older
houses. They're not designed for recessed
lighting. With LED bulbs it's less of a
risk, but how do you know that someone
won't install incandescent spots down the line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check with your local building code/inspector as to what is legally required before going any further.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We are remodeling and have chosen to install some 5" cans in the ceiling.

Went to Menards and found a couple of selections by Patriot and Sylvania.

Question:

What type is best to install for remodeling ? Of course all have the spring tabs that spread-out and hold against the dry-wall. But its seems there is the older style of large bare metal cans w/o the baffle included, and then some new styles that require a smaller hole and the baffle and trim are included ?

Any help is appreciated.

I usually install Halo H7RT 6" remodel cans for my customers. I get these at my local electrical supply. There are more options for bulbs and trims and the 6" cans are cheaper. Also the pro version of Halo trims are cheaper and only available at the supply house. I think I usually use the ERT 709 white coilex trim with a BR40 bulb. Ideally I prefer to install the remodel cans next to a joist. In case the clips don't hold well, I can always shoot a screw into the joist to lock the can in place.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 6:31:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We are remodeling and have chosen to install some 5" cans in the ceiling.

Went to Menards and found a couple of selections by Patriot and Sylvania.

Question:

What type is best to install for remodeling ? Of course all have the spring tabs that spread-out and hold against the dry-wall. But its seems there is the older style of large bare metal cans w/o the baffle included, and then some new styles that require a smaller hole and the baffle and trim are included ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

We went and sat down w/a designer and he stated that the trend right now is the 5" can lights and I think my girlfriend fell in love w/the look.

Menards and HomeDepot don't have much of a selection in 5". I will probably have to look somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 8:41:22 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
wrote

Any suggestions ?

Most people install CFL or LED bulbs, so is the heat factor really an
issue ?

I wouldn't install lights with clips. I'd open the
ceiling and put in boxes with mountings, so
that the clips are in the cylinder and not attaching
to the ceiling.

That's one hell of a lot of extra work when ceiling drywall is
perfectly capable of supporting 5" cans.

The clip type tend to come lose over
time. But that's just my opinion. It may not be
feasible for you to open the ceiling.

As for heat, that's always a risk with older
houses. They're not designed for recessed
lighting. With LED bulbs it's less of a
risk, but how do you know that someone
won't install incandescent spots down the line?

The fixture is almost certainly listed and labeled for what bulbs
it will accept. I sure wouldn't complicate my job 10X to solve some
future problem that some incompetent might cause. An idiot can take
a 150W bulb and put it into many fixtures that are only rated for 60W.