Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Installing 5" cans

On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 8:41:22 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
wrote

Any suggestions ?

Most people install CFL or LED bulbs, so is the heat factor really an
issue ?

I wouldn't install lights with clips. I'd open the
ceiling and put in boxes with mountings, so
that the clips are in the cylinder and not attaching
to the ceiling.

That's one hell of a lot of extra work when ceiling drywall is
perfectly capable of supporting 5" cans.

The clip type tend to come lose over
time. But that's just my opinion. It may not be
feasible for you to open the ceiling.

As for heat, that's always a risk with older
houses. They're not designed for recessed
lighting. With LED bulbs it's less of a
risk, but how do you know that someone
won't install incandescent spots down the line?

The fixture is almost certainly listed and labeled for what bulbs
it will accept. I sure wouldn't complicate my job 10X to solve some
future problem that some incompetent might cause. An idiot can take
a 150W bulb and put it into many fixtures that are only rated for 60W.