Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shutting off solar lights

When I put away the solar sidewalk lights in Winter, they stop being
charged, the batteries drain, and are often bad in Spring from being
discharged so long. The original lights often had a switch to shut off
the light (and the battery). But they have cheapened them up and none
have switches anymore. They come with a piece of paper or plastic that
is pulled out to expose the battery to it's contact, and are forever on
after that.

I have tried to push that battery cutoff (paper/plastic) back in, but it
just crumbles. I cut strips from a heavy cardboard, but that just folds
over or crushes and wont go in. Do they make anything (to sell) that
will shut them off?

On some of them, I remove the battery, and may even charge it during the
winter. Some are easy to take apart and remove the battery. Others are
complicated and difficult. I usually just do the easy ones, or I end up
with a pile of parts that need to be reassembled in Spring. Although
most of these lights are fairly cheap, I buy the ones that I like the
look of, and since I have a large amount of them, replacing them can get
costly and I will lose the ones I like.

If only they still put switches on them........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 05:11:22 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On some of them, I remove the battery, and may even charge it during the
winter. Some are easy to take apart and remove the battery. Others are
complicated and difficult. I usually just do the easy ones, or I end up
with a pile of parts that need to be reassembled in Spring. Although
most of these lights are fairly cheap, I buy the ones that I like the
look of, and since I have a large amount of them, replacing them can get
costly and I will lose the ones I like.

If only they still put switches on them........

Since most people leave them out all year...that should be your solution!

I have a few mounted on the house and porch railing, they do stay out
all year. But those on the ground along the sidewalk would all be
destroyed with snow shovels, snow blowers, and people walking on them
because they are under the snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Default THINKING ABOUT "SOLAR LIGHTS"

How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 06:50:38 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 9/29/2016 6:32 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

wrote:

On some of them, I remove the battery, and may even charge it
during the winter. Some are easy to take apart and remove the
battery. Others are complicated and difficult. I usually just do
the easy ones, or I end up with a pile of parts that need to be
reassembled in Spring. Although most of these lights are fairly
cheap, I buy the ones that I like the look of, and since I have a
large amount of them, replacing them can get costly and I will
lose the ones I like.

If only they still put switches on them........

Since most people leave them out all year...that should be your
solution!

I have a few mounted on the house and porch railing, they do stay out
all year. But those on the ground along the sidewalk would all be
destroyed with snow shovels, snow blowers, and people walking on them
because they are under the snow.

So you and yours are a buch of careless people and you want
someone else to give you the solution.

if it is good enough for government, it should be good enough for this
newsgroup.

Well, it came from the burfordTjustice TROLL. But I have to admit that I
kind of feel sorry for him. His emotional issues are the result that his
mother died about 3 weeks before he was born, and he had to fight past
all the maggots as he erupted from between her rotting intestines. His
mother died as a result of drugs, and no one in the trailer park even
bothered to look for her, until they heard burfordTjustice crying. He
was found by police on the kitchen floor, covered with maggots and
feces, next to his dead mama, a rifle, piles of beer cans, decayed
garbage, and used syringes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 05:39:43 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

I can't find the sun at night. It is leaving me in the dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 05:39:43 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote:

How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

Afraid not, Sir! There are stars way larger and brighter
than old Sol.

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure the police thought he was a giant maggot...he's lucky (we weren't) that he wasn't shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 09/29/2016 07:39 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

It may not work well enough at night.

--
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack
of confidence." -- Doug MacLeod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2016 09:50 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

[snip]

In the future, reject lights that don't easily open to remove/replace
the batteries. I always upgrade the batteries to larger-capacity
rechargeables anyway, since the batteries that come with the devices are
pretty junky.

I usually do, except when I had some lights that required 2/3AA cells,
and I didn't have a good source.

--
87 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

On the sixth day God created man On the seventh day, man returned the
favor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 09/29/2016 12:32 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 05:39:43 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote:

How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

Afraid not, Sir! There are stars way larger and brighter
than old Sol.

Something I heard once is the minimum possible size for a star is about
3 times the size of Jupiter. A smaller mass won't have enough gravity to
provide containment for the fusion reaction.

--
87 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

On the sixth day God created man On the seventh day, man returned the
favor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Mark Lloyd submitted this idea :
wrote:

How many of you ever consider the sun?
Did you know that it is the biggest solar light of all time?

Think about it...............

Afraid not, Sir! There are stars way larger and brighter
than old Sol.

Something I heard once is the minimum possible size for a star is about 3
times the size of Jupiter. A smaller mass won't have enough gravity to
provide containment for the fusion reaction.

You need about 80 Jupiters for it to shine like a star.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We bring ours in and I stick a little plastic shim between the
battery and terminal at one end. Pull the plastic out in the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A piece of plastic from a milk container works just about like the plastic piece that comes with new lights.

Solar lights rebel[_2_] Home Repair 25 May 19th 15 06:14 PM
Shutting off those solar yard lights [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 15th 12 12:25 PM
Shutting off those solar yard lights [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 15th 12 11:51 AM
solar lights tony pac Home Repair 5 June 13th 07 02:40 PM
solar lights Tony Pacc Home Repair 6 August 9th 06 01:37 AM