Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shutting off those solar yard lights

The first of these solar yard lights had a small switch to turn them on
and off. As they got cheaper, the switches were eliminated in favor of
a small plastic strip that was removed to turn them on, and they could
never be shut off again, because those strips will not go back in. Most
people just stick them in their yard and dont touch them again. Myself,
I do this same thing to a certain degree, but I have a few that I like
to take with me when I go camping. If I pack them in my camping gear,
they are dead when I get to the campsite. It usually takes them several
days to totally recharge after a complete discharge, thus, if I camp for
a weekend, they rarely last all night until the end of the weekend.

Also, I bring them indoors in the winter, and found that if they are in
discharge mode all winter, they take forever to recharge in spring, and
a few of them never worked again.

My question is this: Has anyone found something that can be shoved back
in that slot that is strong enough to be pushed in until they are shut
off? Obviously it can't be metal. I know it just provides an insulated
spacer between the battery and the clip.

What might be used to push into that slot that is strong enough and an
insulator? I was thinking that maybe a slice of a credit card might
work, but I dont have one to cut up and try. Anyone have other ideas?

(Yea, I know I can take out the screws and remove the battery, but
that's too much trouble to do repeatedly).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2012 2:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

go the grocery store. they have a rack of gift cards. take one. they
aren't worth anything until run up at the checkout. don't ring it up.

they are also a good source for putty spreaders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2012 15:04:09 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

go the grocery store. they have a rack of gift cards. take one. they
aren't worth anything until run up at the checkout. don't ring it up.

they are also a good source for putty spreaders.

Great idea. I never thought of that.....

solar garden lights leedsbob UK diy 26 February 2nd 08 12:27 AM
solar lights tony pac Home Repair 5 June 13th 07 02:40 PM
solar lights Dwayne & Angela UK diy 13 April 12th 07 07:26 AM
solar lights Tony Pacc Home Repair 6 August 9th 06 01:37 AM