Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool light question

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:10:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

The code requires conduit, either red brass (not used for decades) or
Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit (gray PVC)
There would be no way to replace or even install a light in a wet
niche without it.
Typically there is an unspliced STOW cord going from the sealed light
assembly to the elevated junction box somewhere near the edge of the
pool deck through this flooded conduit. There will also be an
insulated #8 bonding wire in there that bonds the niche to the
equipotential pool grid. (all metal within 5' of the water) The
connection to the niche is "potted" in epoxy or other listed compound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:52:17 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:22:53 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the clarity. I see the gray PVC go down in the ground, but
wasn't sure it traveled to the light and held the wire.

I replaced the bulb that was broken. Thought I got it right, maybe
not. I'll check and/or replace the bulb again in the Spring. I can
test the wire from the switch then. My BIL visited (EE), tested all
the electric at the breaker box near the pump and all has power.

We wondered it I broke a wire with a shovel, removing a few trees.

Most of the manufacturers want you to replace the gasket too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I did that when I found a broken bulb, made sure I didn't get or touch
the glass directly with oily or dirty hands. It is a 300W T3 Halogen
bulb.

Is a paper towel sufficient to not contaminate the glass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:52:51 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

I don't disagree. Finding one that works in the present housing unit
is a concern. LED unit replacements can be hundreds of dollars. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

I don't disagree. Finding one that works in the present housing unit
is a concern. LED unit replacements can be hundreds of dollars. No?

Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

I don't disagree. Finding one that works in the present housing unit
is a concern. LED unit replacements can be hundreds of dollars. No?

Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9

I wonder if those are dimmable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2016 10:53 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9

I think they are lying about their light output.

I've not seen a 20 watt led capable of producing the same light output as a 300 watt halogen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

I don't disagree. Finding one that works in the present housing unit
is a concern. LED unit replacements can be hundreds of dollars. No?

Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9

Thanks. But it has a different base.

This is like what I have (RSC Base)

What does RSC stand for, please?

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/light-bulbs/halogen-bulbs/double-ended/300-watt-t3-halogen-light-bulb-0477600.aspx

https://tinyurl.com/j8kaks2
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

300W, geez, I would be looking for an LED replacement for that puppy!

I don't disagree. Finding one that works in the present housing unit
is a concern. LED unit replacements can be hundreds of dollars. No?

Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9

Thanks. But it has a different base.

This is like what I have (RSC Base)

What does RSC stand for, please?

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/light-bulbs/halogen-bulbs/double-ended/300-watt-t3-halogen-light-bulb-0477600.aspx

https://tinyurl.com/j8kaks2

RSC = Recessed single contact
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:56:26 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

What does RSC stand for, please?

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/light-bulbs/halogen-bulbs/double-ended/300-watt-t3-halogen-light-bulb-0477600.aspx

https://tinyurl.com/j8kaks2

RSC = Recessed single contact

Thanks. I'm now looking for an LED that will work in the RSC base.
What would be the LED wattage equivalent for 300 Watt halogen?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does RSC stand for, please?

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/light-bulbs/halogen-bulbs/double-ended/300-watt-t3-halogen-light-bulb-0477600.aspx

https://tinyurl.com/j8kaks2

RSC = Recessed single contact

Thanks. I'm now looking for an LED that will work in the RSC base.
What would be the LED wattage equivalent for 300 Watt halogen?

I doubt you will have any luck finding a LED replacement for a 300w halogen T3 RSC bulb. That seems like
quite an odd duck for a for a pool light.

If I were in your position, I would identify the Light fixture currently in your pool and see if I could find,
on eBay or Amazon, a replacement fixture that would fit your existing niche and that would accept an LED bulb.
I just can't imaging ****ing away that much power for a single pool illumination light bulb.

Depending upon your current light niche, I am finding quite a few fixtures for $100 - $150. I am now going to
bow out and leave any further detective work up to you, good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 21:21:47 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

I doubt you will have any luck finding a LED replacement for a 300w halogen T3 RSC bulb. That seems like
quite an odd duck for a for a pool light.

If I were in your position, I would identify the Light fixture currently in your pool and see if I could find,
on eBay or Amazon, a replacement fixture that would fit your existing niche and that would accept an LED bulb.
I just can't imaging ****ing away that much power for a single pool illumination light bulb.

Depending upon your current light niche, I am finding quite a few fixtures for $100 - $150. I am now going to
bow out and leave any further detective work up to you, good luck.

I do appreciate your help. I'll figure it out by Spring and find a
solution by then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What does RSC stand for, please?

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/light-bulbs/halogen-bulbs/double-ended/300-watt-t3-halogen-light-bulb-0477600.aspx

https://tinyurl.com/j8kaks2

RSC = Recessed single contact

Thanks. I'm now looking for an LED that will work in the RSC base.
What would be the LED wattage equivalent for 300 Watt halogen?

Don't know it exists. 300W halogen is about 5900 lumens, 20W LED is
only about 1500 lumens. You may need 3 of them for the same output.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I doubt you will have any luck finding a LED replacement for a 300w halogen T3 RSC bulb. That seems like
quite an odd duck for a for a pool light.

If I were in your position, I would identify the Light fixture currently in your pool and see if I could find,
on eBay or Amazon, a replacement fixture that would fit your existing niche and that would accept an LED bulb.
I just can't imaging ****ing away that much power for a single pool illumination light bulb.

Depending upon your current light niche, I am finding quite a few fixtures for $100 - $150. I am now going to
bow out and leave any further detective work up to you, good luck.

I do appreciate your help. I'll figure it out by Spring and find a
solution by then.

I happened across this interesting looking product from one of the big names in the pool business. I have no
idea what it would cost you from a discount house.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/...ts-i-uclcry--1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2016 04:54 AM, Chief Soh Cah Toa wrote:
On 09/26/2016 10:53 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Not knowing precisely what you have currently, I would suggest checking out Amazon. For example, here is a
300W LED replacement pool light that uses 20w.

http://amzn.to/2cxkGd9

I think they are lying about their light output.

I've not seen a 20 watt led capable of producing the same light output as a 300 watt halogen.

_Approximate_ values a

incandescents = 20 lumens/watt

halogens = 25 lumens/watt

LEDs and T5 fluorescents = 100 lumens per watt

While I realize that no one has ever been killed by a properly installed pool light,

I'd still try to find a 12 volt pool light that would totally remove the shock risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 21:51:05 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

I happened across this interesting looking product from one of the big names in the pool business. I have no
idea what it would cost you from a discount house.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/...ts-i-uclcry--1

Interesting. Didn't know low voltage was available. Seems the NEC -
UL covers them in the 2008 NEC, I'll get the install manual for
review.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:21:51 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:

I thought you passed away?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 18:23:42 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:15:25 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:54:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:21:51 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 10:04:32 -0700, Oren wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

Chris, aka Stormin Mormon, recently passed away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.

Thanks for letting me know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman presented the following explanation :

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from
Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.

Thanks for letting me know.

You might be able to filter them in, if you cared to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.

Thanks for letting me know.

....and systems where a newsreader can not be installed.

(But you won't see this)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.

Thanks for letting me know.

...and systems where a newsreader can not be installed.

(But you won't see this)

He will now. I bet a nickel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I thought you passed away?

Not the same person... think ('Stormin' Norman' Schwarzkopf)

Thanks for clarifying that for him. I filter out all posts from Googlegroups, so I would never have seen his
question.

P.S. There some outstanding posters here (this group) using Google
for practical reasons, easy access while traveling or not otherwise on
a home computer.

Thanks for letting me know.

...and systems where a newsreader can not be installed.

(But you won't see this)

He will now. I bet a nickel.

It is a shame there is so much chaff emanating from Google groups. The static drowns out the relevant content
in the majority of groups that I follow. I could refine my filter so it is not global and only applies to
specific groups, I will have to consider doing that if I continue to follow this group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:03:10 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

It is a shame there is so much chaff emanating from Google groups. The static drowns out the relevant content
in the majority of groups that I follow. I could refine my filter so it is not global and only applies to
specific groups, I will have to consider doing that if I continue to follow this group.

It doesn't have to be just Goggle. There are many ass-hat trolls and
cross posters here. You have Agent 8, I use an earlier version and
can click or ignore the stink eyes.

Google users here are not a real concern, for me.

We do have replies when people respond to dick heads
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

--
If Rap is music, then falling off the roof is transportation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 5:37:16 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

--
If Rap is music, then falling off the roof is transportation.

Another nym shift, another attempt to get around people's filters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...and systems where a newsreader can not be installed.

(But you won't see this)

If you use the old versions of Agent, they do not get "installed". It
is an EXE that can run off a thumb drive and not leave any tracks in
the PC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:37:02 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

That would drain your pool. The pool light conduit is flooded by pool
water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

That would drain your pool. The pool light conduit is flooded by pool
water.

Not the bit where the electrical connections go.

--
It seems the lifeguard told a patron to stop ****ing in the pool.
The patron said, "Everyone ****es in the pool"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

That would drain your pool. The pool light conduit is flooded by pool
water.

Not the bit where the electrical connections go.

The conduit goes directly into the wet niche and the cord to the lamp
runs through the flooded conduit. That is why the junction box has to
be elevated above the water line. There is pool water in the conduit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:10:37 +0100, Oren wrote:

Do in ground pool lights use conduit or just the wires buried deep
below the surface? I have a side view drawing of the pool when
constructed but it doesn't show electrical wires ,just a side view of
the pool.

Just use armoured cable, like the cable used to supply the house with power. I've used normal flex before, but it rots or gets eaten by something.

That would drain your pool. The pool light conduit is flooded by pool
water.

Not the bit where the electrical connections go.

The conduit goes directly into the wet niche and the cord to the lamp
runs through the flooded conduit. That is why the junction box has to
be elevated above the water line. There is pool water in the conduit.

What a weird idea. I'd design the lamp housing with the wire coming out the back, sealed off from the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The lamp housing is sealed but the conduit the cord runs through is
flooded

Cleaning behind pool light Kurt Ullman Home Repair 22 August 11th 12 06:20 AM
Pool light grounding [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 23rd 08 09:56 PM
Pool light replacement Ed Home Repair 3 October 24th 06 11:59 AM
pool light GFCI [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 3rd 05 02:37 AM
Pool Light Niche and Rewiring Question Steven Scharf Home Repair 0 May 20th 04 02:25 AM