Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet dilemma

One of my granddaughters asked for assistance with one of the two toilets in her home.

Both toilets are of the same model and age and of course they are connected to the same water supply. Her
toilet was flushing poorly. Upon examination, I noticed there was a thick lime scale in and around the flush
jet and the drain path. The rim jets were all basically clean and clear.

The other toilet, used by her roommate had no scale of any kind.

I used Zep Acidic toilet cleaner ( http://www.zepcommercial.com/product...t-Bowl-Cleaner which is a 5
- 10% HCL solution ), letting it sit for an hour or so. The scale softened quite a bit and I was able to
scrape away big pieces but not all of it, even after applying the HCL solution twice.

The toilet is flushing much better than it was previously, but the scale is still present. My next step is to
use some Muriatic acid, which is HCL @ 35%, in the hope this will chew away the rest of the scale. I will
probably dilute the HCL by 50% to begin with.

My quandary is accounting for the difference between the two toilets. My granddaughter is big on saving the
planet, so, if there is only urine in the bowl, she will not flush. Combining that with her habit of taking
lots dietary supplements, I am hypothesizing that many of the minerals contained in the expensive urine is
leaching out and accumulating in the bowl.

I have tried to explain to her the supplement industry is a giant scam and have even provided her with
evidence, but, well, she is a woman and that falls on deaf ears. At least she has compromised and agreed to
flush after each use.

Has anyone here encountered such a heavy scale situation previously? If so, how have you dealt with it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2016 5:54 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
One of my granddaughters asked for assistance with one of the two toilets in her home.

My quandary is accounting for the difference between the two toilets. My granddaughter is big on saving the
planet, so, if there is only urine in the bowl, she will not flush. Combining that with her habit of taking
lots dietary supplements, I am hypothesizing that many of the minerals contained in the expensive urine is
leaching out and accumulating in the bowl.

Bingo. Save some water, destroy a toilet. Urine has a lot of solids in
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 21:54:38 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Has anyone here encountered such a heavy scale situation previously? If so, how have you dealt with it?

You have toilet cooties.

Follow the acid method in this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Danny D, Bob and me will attest to the veracity of the method.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not flushing urine causes a buildup of scale in the bowl. My commercial cleaning company once started a new account where the previous company never cleaned under the urinal screen. It took a couple of hours of multiple soakings with HCL to remove it all. Lesser deposits can usually be removed with phosphoric acid, which is safer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 5:53:53 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

Simple test...have them switch bathrooms for a month or so.

My granddaughter is big on saving the
planet, so, if there is only urine in the bowl, she will not flush. Combining that with her habit of taking
lots dietary supplements, I am hypothesizing that many of the minerals contained in the expensive urine is
leaching out and accumulating in the bowl.

I have tried to explain to her the supplement industry is a giant scam and have even provided her with
evidence, but, well, she is a woman and that falls on deaf ears.

That is a sexist comment.

At least she has compromised and agreed to
flush after each use.

Has anyone here encountered such a heavy scale situation previously? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Follow the acid method in this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Danny D, Bob and me will attest to the veracity of the method.

That is a valuable article, thanks for posting the link. Fortunately, I can avoid the possibility of seal and
plastic damage because her toilet has no problem under the rim, therefore I can put the acid directly in the
bowl.

I am amazed at how much mineral has leeched out of her urine, in six years, as a result of dietary supplements
and infrequent flushing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:50:12 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Follow the acid method in this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Danny D, Bob and me will attest to the veracity of the method.

That is a valuable article, thanks for posting the link. Fortunately, I can avoid the possibility of seal and
plastic damage because her toilet has no problem under the rim, therefore I can put the acid directly in the
bowl.

I am amazed at how much mineral has leeched out of her urine, in six years, as a result of dietary supplements
and infrequent flushing.

You're welcome. BTW, if you happen to be on a septic system or have
metal sewer lines, I'd advise to neutralize (baking soda) the acid
before you flush -- after all the fizzling stops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Follow the acid method in this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Danny D, Bob and me will attest to the veracity of the method.

That is a valuable article, thanks for posting the link. Fortunately, I can avoid the possibility of seal and
plastic damage because her toilet has no problem under the rim, therefore I can put the acid directly in the
bowl.

I am amazed at how much mineral has leeched out of her urine, in six years, as a result of dietary supplements
and infrequent flushing.

You're welcome. BTW, if you happen to be on a septic system or have
metal sewer lines, I'd advise to neutralize (baking soda) the acid
before you flush -- after all the fizzling stops.

Excellent advice, thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/21/2016 10:50 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 16:18:37 -0700, Oren wrote:

Follow the acid method in this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Danny D, Bob and me will attest to the veracity of the method.

That is a valuable article, thanks for posting the link. Fortunately, I can avoid the possibility of seal and
plastic damage because her toilet has no problem under the rim, therefore I can put the acid directly in the
bowl.

I am amazed at how much mineral has leeched out of her urine, in six years, as a result of dietary supplements
and infrequent flushing.

I don't know if the supplements made much difference, but normal people
have a lot of stuff in urine.

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Wha...n_urine__63__/
Since we're considering using urine as a fertilizer, it makes sense to
figure out what's in that yellow liquid. The actual percentages of each
component can vary depending on what you eat, but pee from an average
Westerner has an NPK of 11-1-2.5. For those of you not familiar with
NPK, that's a fertilizer that's very high in nitrogen, low in
phosphorus, and moderate in potassium.

After water, the major components in urine are high nitrogen chemicals
including urea, creatine, ammonia, and uric acid. Pee also contains a
significant amount of salt (sodium chloride), and a bit of calcium,
magnesium, and sulfur. Rarely will urine contain a few disease-causing
organisms --- primarily leptospirosis and schistosoma in the tropics,
and salmonella (which dies quickly in soil.)

Here we go again, toilet flange dilemma noname[_5_] Home Repair 16 January 13th 16 04:29 PM
OT. Personal dilemma amdx[_3_] Metalworking 66 August 26th 14 03:32 AM
NTL TV Dilemma Paul Andrews UK diy 30 October 24th 06 02:29 AM
Toilet roll holder dilemma xxx UK diy 33 April 18th 06 11:13 AM
Plumbing dilemma (toilet over new tile) [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 11th 05 05:51 PM