Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Repair zippr?

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

If the tab is metal, use a pair of pliers to squeeze the 2 sides closer
together. That's worked for me in the past.

Otherwise you can remove the zipper and put a new one in.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2016 11:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

I've fixed many zippers that failed like that. Can you take a photo of
it both sides and I can tell you how to fix it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/16 11:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or
two of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just
slides back and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic
zipper on cheap (~$5) Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
These belts are - to me - quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to
order a couple more. Now I have some idea what women do with those
huge purses!

TIA

Would it be worthwhile to take them to a shoe repair shop? How about
Velcro?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:05:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Who mentioned sentimental value, except you?

Maybe the old man has a girlfriend that can sew.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Who mentioned sentimental value, except you?

No one did...just me. That was the point of my post. For anyone to spend more money
than something is worth to fix it, there should be a good reason. Sentimental value
is just one possible reason. I see that that inference was lost on you.

Maybe the old man has a girlfriend that can sew.

He'd better, because paying to have it done probably doesn't make sense, thus my comment about sentimental value. I could have used some other reason (it's the only belt that fits,
it matches his favorite leisure suit, whatever) but I chose sentimental value.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he should buy a couple more belts!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2016 6:53 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he should buy a couple more belts!

Well, I was a professional seamstress, so, if the OP wants me to tell
him how to fix it, I will, after I see photos of it. Most the time
zippers can be fixed unless you've torn it up.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 7:53:36 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he should buy a couple more belts!

Who said it bothered me? I made an observation. You're the only one sounding bothered.

....and yes, I know how to read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 8:39:43 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 7:53:36 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he should buy a couple more belts!

Who said it bothered me? I made an observation. You're the only one sounding bothered.

...and yes, I know how to read.

Possibly by you...he is willing to buy more but wants to maybe fix what he has...real easy to understand. Your "observation" is pointless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2016 10:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix.

Usually it's the slider that's shot. At one time REI had replacement
sliders or you might be able to find them at JoAnn fabrics etc. The
smaller sizes are common but I have to order the ones for my MC jacket
from Amazon. For jackets and other open type uses there is a stop at the
top. If the zipper is sewn in on both ends you may need to open the
stitches and redo them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 10:19:19 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

"Possibly" by me? You're not sure why you are bothered? You should figure that out.
When we are troubled, it's good to know why so we can work on resolving our issues.

Do try to figure out if it's me or not. I have a suggestion: Stop reading and responding to
my posts. If you are no longer bothered, then you'll know it was me. You are not going to
change me, so you probably concentrate on changing yourself. You'll feel better in the
long run.

Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 10:22:23 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thanks doc, you're a life saver!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's
going to put 3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even
worth.

Who mentioned sentimental value, except you?

Maybe the old man has a girlfriend that can sew.

No such luck. Still trying though g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote in
:

On 9/19/2016 6:53 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if
he's going to put 3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's
even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he
should buy a couple more belts!

Well, I was a professional seamstress, so, if the OP wants me to tell
him how to fix it, I will, after I see photos of it. Most the time
zippers can be fixed unless you've torn it up.

I'm not much on posting photos. Don't know how. Never took one with cell.
Can I describe the zipper? It's plastic and tab that slides is plastic.
Seems to close when I slide tab but easily pulls apart with no effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote in
:

On 9/19/16 11:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or
two of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just
slides back and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic
zipper on cheap (~$5) Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
These belts are - to me - quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to
order a couple more. Now I have some idea what women do with those
huge purses!

TIA

Would it be worthwhile to take them to a shoe repair shop? How
about
Velcro?

Velcro is an idea! Let me think about that. I have some Velcro if I can
figure out how to use it to replace the zipper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote in
:

On 9/19/2016 10:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or
two of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just
slides back and forth. Probably impossible to fix.

Usually it's the slider that's shot. At one time REI had replacement
sliders or you might be able to find them at JoAnn fabrics etc. The
smaller sizes are common but I have to order the ones for my MC jacket
from Amazon. For jackets and other open type uses there is a stop at
the top. If the zipper is sewn in on both ends you may need to open
the stitches and redo them.

I'll check into that. Didn't know they were replacable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 07:47:04 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa wrote:

[...]

Maybe someone ****ed in his cheerios yesterday. Today is a new day so hopefully he'll be a little more mellow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 12:13:42 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

....imagine if someone crapped in his cornflakes! *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 1:13:42 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

Interesting. I wasn't bothered by anything and merely posted an observation.

b_v thought I was bothered...I said I wasn't...he said he was (possibly).

I guess the question is: Who ****ed in who's what? Nobody ****ed in
anything of mine.

(BTW...I'm still not bothered by any of this. I'm not sure why anybody
thinks I am, but you sure are wasting a lot of energy on it.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:31:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe someone ****ed in his cheerios yesterday. Today is a new day so hopefully he'll be a little more mellow.

Interesting. I wasn't bothered by anything and merely posted an observation.

b_v thought I was bothered...I said I wasn't...he said he was (possibly).

I guess the question is: Who ****ed in who's what? Nobody ****ed in
anything of mine.

(BTW...I'm still not bothered by any of this.

Quit responding and I'll believe you.

I'm not sure why anybody
thinks I am, but you sure are wasting a lot of energy on it.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 3:17:48 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:31:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe someone ****ed in his cheerios yesterday. Today is a new day so hopefully he'll be a little more mellow.

Interesting. I wasn't bothered by anything and merely posted an observation.

b_v thought I was bothered...I said I wasn't...he said he was (possibly).

I guess the question is: Who ****ed in who's what? Nobody ****ed in
anything of mine.

(BTW...I'm still not bothered by any of this.

Quit responding and I'll believe you.

But it's more fun to respond. Please don't deprive me of this enjoyable
experience. Now that might bother me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

I was quoted $30 to $40 to replace a zipper on a $50 coat. Just the
zipper alone was about $18. I threw away the coat.

It makes no sense to replace one on a $5 item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 2:37:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 3:17:48 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:31:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe someone ****ed in his cheerios yesterday. Today is a new day so hopefully he'll be a little more mellow.

Interesting. I wasn't bothered by anything and merely posted an observation.

b_v thought I was bothered...I said I wasn't...he said he was (possibly).

I guess the question is: Who ****ed in who's what? Nobody ****ed in
anything of mine.

(BTW...I'm still not bothered by any of this.

Quit responding and I'll believe you.

But it's more fun to respond. Please don't deprive me of this enjoyable
experience. Now that might bother me.

....you'd go on and on, ad infinitum...and who would be wasting energy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 11:36:35 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

If you have some paraffin or a candle, you might try using the wax to lube the zipper when you fix it or get a new GoBelt. I used saw wax on my tool bag zippers when they became unruly. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Zippy monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Sep 2016 16:37:23 GMT, KenK wrote:

Maybe the old man has a girlfriend that can sew.

No such luck. Still trying though g

Three places to check. Grocery store, laundry mat or a 7-11. Alton
Pate, a Silver Star veteran gave me his advice. Joann fabric shops
would be another. Girls have sewing classes :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:12:51 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 2:37:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 3:17:48 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:31:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe someone ****ed in his cheerios yesterday. Today is a new day so hopefully he'll be a little more mellow.

Interesting. I wasn't bothered by anything and merely posted an observation.

b_v thought I was bothered...I said I wasn't...he said he was (possibly).

I guess the question is: Who ****ed in who's what? Nobody ****ed in
anything of mine.

(BTW...I'm still not bothered by any of this.

Quit responding and I'll believe you.

But it's more fun to respond. Please don't deprive me of this enjoyable
experience. Now that might bother me.

...you'd go on and on, ad infinitum...and who would be wasting energy?

So let's see if I understand how this works.

You jump into the middle of a thread and make a comment about something I posted. I respond,
you respond, your buddy Gordo jumps in, you two have your own little back and forth (about me
BTW) and I'm the one that is supposed to go quietly into the night.

I see, you guys rule the internet and I should stop posting because you guys say so. Wouldn't
you just love it if that's how it actually worked? To bad, but it just doesn't. I'm sure that bothers
you. It appears that *I* bother you.

I said it before and I'll say it again: if I bother you, quit talking to me. You don't bother me, Gordo
doesn't bother me, so I'm not wasting any energy...in fact, this is kind of fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:38:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

I was quoted $30 to $40 to replace a zipper on a $50 coat. Just the
zipper alone was about $18. I threw away the coat.

It makes no sense to replace one on a $5 item.

Watch out...b_v might want to know why replacing a zipper bothers you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 15:45:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

It appears that you have either lost or changed your medication. Go talk to hillary and ask her what she is taking. I
bet that is some gooooood ****!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:57:56 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

And yet, here you are again.

Just how much do you like talking to me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 5:47:04 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:38:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or two
of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides back
and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap (~$5)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me -
quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I have
some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

I was quoted $30 to $40 to replace a zipper on a $50 coat. Just the
zipper alone was about $18. I threw away the coat.

It makes no sense to replace one on a $5 item.

Watch out...b_v might want to know why replacing a zipper bothers you.

I must bother you (or you have a crush), you brought me up to a third party. I'm blushing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 11:14:36 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

It's a crush. That color looks so cute on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 11:36:35 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches. After only a month or
two

of use one zipper failed. Tab won't mesh the two sides.- just slides
back

and forth. Probably impossible to fix. Cheap plastic zipper on cheap
(~$5

)
Go-belt. But thought it couldn't hurt to ask. These belts are - to me
-

quite habit-forming. Guess I'll need to order a couple more. Now I
have

some idea what women do with those huge purses!

TIA

If you have some paraffin or a candle, you might try using the wax to
lube the zipper when you fix it or get a new GoBelt. I used saw wax on
my tool bag zippers when they became unruly. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Zippy monster

Didn't fix the problem. Or did you mean it would prevent the problem on a
working zipper? Your reply seems to indicate the latter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

On 9/19/2016 6:53 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:05:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:16:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On 19 Sep 2016 16:36:30 GMT, KenK wrote:

Have a "Go-Belt" that has two zippered pouches.

Have a seamstress near you to do a replacement zipper?

It's a $5 belt. It better have some serious sentimental value if he's going to put
3 to 4 times more money into fixing it than it's even worth.

Why should it bother you...that's the OP's decision? He also said he should buy a couple more belts!

Well, I was a professional seamstress, so, if the OP wants me to tell
him how to fix it, I will, after I see photos of it. Most the time
zippers can be fixed unless you've torn it up.

Do you know of or could you post a video or procedure to do this?

--
Tekkie