Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Bulb dying

I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light. It only
uses about 5 watts so I'm not concerned about energy usage. (25W
equivlent).

All of a sudden it has gotten real dim, and it flickers. I'm wondering
what caused that? I know it cant be fixed and needs to be replaced, but
I did not think the LED bulbs were supposed to fail for many years.

When I shut it off, it stays lit for a few seconds after the switch is
OFF, so I imagine there is a capacitor in it, but obviously that cap is
working..... But it's less than half as bright as it used to be, and
flickers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

Default A GUY TALKS ABOUT HIS LED BULB THAT'S OUT IN THE BARN

On 9/10/2016 11:31 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 9/10/2016 10:15 AM, wrote:
I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light. It only
uses about 5 watts so I'm not concerned about energy usage. (25W
equivlent).

All of a sudden it has gotten real dim, and it flickers. I'm wondering
what caused that? I know it cant be fixed and needs to be replaced, but
I did not think the LED bulbs were supposed to fail for many years.

When I shut it off, it stays lit for a few seconds after the switch is
OFF, so I imagine there is a capacitor in it, but obviously that cap is
working..... But it's less than half as bright as it used to be, and
flickers.

try it in a different socket.

Well, fellas...... This sad story sorta is like life for us old farts.
We last [hopefully] fer many years ourselves, ya know. Then, one day we
start gettin' a might tuckered out, if ya follow me. We start gittin'
dim ourselves, and in a way you could say we, too, start to flicker.
Eventually we just kinda wink out all together, ya know; and it's--like
they say--the Final Curtain. Folks left behind, they might cry a little
at first; but soon enough they forget about us. In a few more years
nobuddy even remembers us. Such is the temperance of existence.

Amen (and boo hoo)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

The living should envy the dead.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 1:17:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light. It only
uses about 5 watts so I'm not concerned about energy usage. (25W
equivlent).

All of a sudden it has gotten real dim, and it flickers. I'm wondering
what caused that? I know it cant be fixed and needs to be replaced, but
I did not think the LED bulbs were supposed to fail for many years.

When I shut it off, it stays lit for a few seconds after the switch is
OFF, so I imagine there is a capacitor in it, but obviously that cap is
working..... But it's less than half as bright as it used to be, and
flickers.

If you're in a rural area, the solid state components are probably getting hammered with voltage spikes from lightning and distant switching activity. This will damage them in such a way that it decreases the life of the bulb and you already know that heat will also kill them. If you don't have surge protection on your electrical system, your electronics and electrical items such as your AC where the capacitors can fail due to power surges. Cheap LED bulbs are cheap for a reason. They are actually bought by weight from manufacturers in China. I imagine the pallets full or shipping containers are weighed to determine a price. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle LED Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2016 5:49 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 13:15:41 -0400, wrote:

I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light.

All those years is based on three hours per day. Since you are running it
24/7, then you divide all those years by eight. So that gives you 2.5 to 3
years.

There is no payback on LED bulbs rarely used. I have been in my house for
20 years. It is a large house with many lights (in closets and all). There
are a few bulbs still working from the prior owner. And many that I have
only replaced once.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

My house, over 40 years old, came with krypton super bulbs and a few of
them sparsely used are still working.

Just started using led's but discovered cfl's in bathrooms last no
longer than incandescent. Think it is due to short periodic use.
Your bulb should have lasted a long time but I have found led
flashlights that did not last long. Bulb component may be fine but
there are transformers for dc led bulbs and cfl's and components there
in may fail. Flashlights most likely the switch. While yours burned
constantly in an unheated barn where temperatures could vary over 100
deg F over a year the bulb and components were subjected to that stress
which may have limited its lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 6:04:40 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

Moisture in bathrooms also lessens the life of cfl's.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:04:33 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Bulb component may be fine but
there are transformers for dc led bulbs and cfl's and components there
in may fail.

Reminds me of the X-10 modules I was buying in 1988. They used cheap
electrolytic capacitors which soon failed. The modules then chattered.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:58:53 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:
[...]

What's to envy. You freaking heathen non-believers
seem to think when one dies there is nothing after
it. That means you think nothingness is better than
life.

OMG but that's such retarded thinking.

It only make sense that the living envy the dead
if one believes in Jesus Christ and his promise
of everlasting life if one believes in Him. I envy
those who died and achieved everlasting life but
I sure feel badly for those who actively reject
Jesus Christ and for that rejection end up with
nothing but some time spent in hell before God
destroys that last bastion of non believers and
all who dwell there.

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2016 12:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
tolerance for MTBF

Hi Ed,

That is not what MBTF means. If the bulb had, say 1000 hour
MBTF, it would mean that you put 1000 bulbs in a test bench
and ran them for an hour. Only one failed. MBTF does not
tell you anything about the second and so forth hours.
(I did MBTF analysis for the military.)

A good gauge of how long something will last is the warranty.
They taught us in college to set it at 90% of useful lifespan.
Course, some manufacturers are just lazy and set it at a year.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:20:31 -0400, songbird

I thought LED bulbs were supposed to last for many years. I put on in my
barn about 2 years ago. It's on all the time as a safety light. It only
uses about 5 watts so I'm not concerned about energy usage. (25W
equivlent).

All of a sudden it has gotten real dim, and it flickers. I'm wondering
what caused that? I know it cant be fixed and needs to be replaced, but
I did not think the LED bulbs were supposed to fail for many years.

When I shut it off, it stays lit for a few seconds after the switch is
OFF, so I imagine there is a capacitor in it, but obviously that cap is
working..... But it's less than half as bright as it used to be, and
flickers.

check the wiring too...

songbird

It's not the wiring - its cheapassed chinese electronics rearing
it's ugly head again. Proper circuit design and assembly yields LED
lights that last for years. Cheapassed engineering and sloppy assembly
yields LED lights that can last as little as 100 hours. If the
engineering is OK and only the assembly is slipshod, you may get about
1 in 10 (as I did on a large installation) lasting 3 or more years

On some the electronics just fail, in others the electronics cause the
LED to fail, and on others the LED fails because it is not properly
heat-sinked.

SOME chinese products have decent quality control, but it is
definitely a case of caviat your emptor - or something like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:29:40 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:04:33 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Bulb component may be fine but
there are transformers for dc led bulbs and cfl's and components there
in may fail.

Reminds me of the X-10 modules I was buying in 1988. They used cheap
electrolytic capacitors which soon failed. The modules then chattered.

In the late 80s there was a glut of counterfeit electrolyte that got
into even "quality" capacitors that almost forced several large
respected electronic companies into bankruptsy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 19:17:46 -0700, T wrote:

On 09/10/2016 12:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
tolerance for MTBF

Hi Ed,

That is not what MBTF means. If the bulb had, say 1000 hour
MBTF, it would mean that you put 1000 bulbs in a test bench
and ran them for an hour. Only one failed. MBTF does not
tell you anything about the second and so forth hours.
(I did MBTF analysis for the military.)

A good gauge of how long something will last is the warranty.
They taught us in college to set it at 90% of useful lifespan.
Course, some manufacturers are just lazy and set it at a year.

-T

And others figure (correctly in most cases) a customer will not spend
$8 to send the defective unit back to china to get a $2 part replaced
under warranty.

It was bad enough when a "lifetime warranteed" memory module for my
laptop failed and one way shipping to return it to the "manufacturer"
in California cost me $18, it took over 3 weeks to get it replaced,
and I could buy another "lifetime guaranteed" module locally for $22..

I returned it "just on principal" and couldn't wate for it to be
returned so bought one locally anyway. Now I have an obvsolete brand
new memory module sitting in stock that I'll likely never use, that
effectively cost me $40.

Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Bible-thumpers like you, and camel jockeys who believe in their little
slice of heaven are fools. This is it. You won't be going anywhere
after you die. Your body will simply release all its atoms to become
other things.

That means you think nothingness is better than
life.

Stick around long enough, and you will too. The so-called Happy Times
will soon be over.

OMG but that's such retarded thinking.

It only make sense that the living envy the dead
if one believes in Jesus Christ and his promise
of everlasting life if one believes in Him. I envy
those who died and achieved everlasting life but
I sure feel badly for those who actively reject
Jesus Christ and for that rejection end up with
nothing but some time spent in hell before God
destroys that last bastion of non believers and
all who dwell there.

What will you do in your heaven all day, Greg? Will you sit around on a
cloud joyfully plucking a harp? You and your fellow fools believe in
something that you don't even have any concept of. Can you even begin
to describe what your mythical heaven is supposed to be like? Eternal
bliss would be a curse, not a blessing. Thank your god that once you're
dead, you'll never know you were conned your entire life.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright © 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/10/2016 08:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

3C: Cheap Chinese Crap. Sad to say, but Americans can't get
enough of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I always look at the cost to frak with something and if it's worth my time. Heck I still look at my time as though it's the product I was selling for up to $85/hr when I was still working. If I had a $10.00 item that had a lifetime warranty, I didn't go out of my way to return the darn thing. I'd get a new one and if I bought it locally, I'd hang on to it until I went back to where I purchased it for something else and returned it there for replacement or refund. If I bought something from an online seller like Amazon or even eBay that was defective, I'd contact the seller and they'd often send another and tell me to keep the defective one if it was something not worth fraking with. I enjoy taking things apart to see how they work. I'd take stuff apart and cut things open out of curiosity during play time. I know I have a box full of memory modules and other computer parts at home that I may put on Craigslist for some experimenter looking for stuff to play with or use to repair an old computer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Time Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 11:23:41 PM UTC-5, T wrote:

3C: Cheap Chinese Crap. Sad to say, but Americans can't get
enough of it.

No no no, 3C: Complete Cluster Coitus. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Complete Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 08:17:44 -0400, songbird

...songbird asked...

check the wiring too...

It's not the wiring - its cheapassed chinese electronics rearing
it's ugly head again. Proper circuit design and assembly yields LED
lights that last for years. Cheapassed engineering and sloppy assembly
yields LED lights that can last as little as 100 hours. If the
engineering is OK and only the assembly is slipshod, you may get about
1 in 10 (as I did on a large installation) lasting 3 or more years

ok,

just that i had a direct wired LED light fail, but
it was actually the wiring that went instead, which
i didn't check until after i'd returned the unit and
put the replacement in and it still didn't work.

songbird

But it didn't fail in the way the OP's failed Leds going dim and
flickering are a bad LED. Going right out can be wiring.
Strobing is also a bad LED - usually a low voltage one (12 volt
instead of 120)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 10:17:50 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 09/10/2016 12:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
tolerance for MTBF

Hi Ed,

That is not what MBTF means. If the bulb had, say 1000 hour
MBTF, it would mean that you put 1000 bulbs in a test bench
and ran them for an hour. Only one failed. MBTF does not
tell you anything about the second and so forth hours.

This is just nuts. You can't get any meaningful MTBF by the method
you just described. What you showed was taking 1000 bulbs and testing
them for just an hour. That isn't predictive of MTBF over the life
of the bulbs. Following that method with say an ordinary incandescent,
you'd come away with the impression that they hardly every fail at all,
because incandescents rarely fail in the first hour and it has little
to do with how long they last in service. (In reality what you'd be
measuring is the infant mortality by your 1 hour method)

You find MTBF by testing the devices continuously over many hours,
finding out how many fail at 100 hours, 1000 hours, 10,000 hours
and then determining on average how many hours you get before failure.
Ed has it right, MTBF, properly calculated, is the average number of
hours that you get from an LED before it fails. In your bulb example,
you only tested one bulb to the failure point, in essence you have a
sample size of one.

"MBTF does not tell you anything about the second and so forth hours."

Of course it does. If we know that a bulb or an engine has an MTBF
of 20,000 hours, then we know that on average, that's how many hours
they go between failures. The device is very unlikely to fail at
two hours, or two hundred hours, but has a high failure rate at 20,000
hours. Are you telling us that MTBF only tells you about the first
hour?

(I did MBTF analysis for the military.)

That's scary. And if that's the case, why is it that every time you've
used the term here, you keep posting "MBTF", when it's actually MTBF?
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:59:32 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:
[...]

What can I say other than I will pray for your
endangered soul and fervently hope you repent before
it's too late.

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article t,
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I remember seeing some socket sets that had the lifetime guarantee.
They cost about $ 5. If oe broke you sent the old one back and $ 4.95
for shipping and handling to get it replaced.

That is why I do not like to buy through the mail. Within 90 days, I
expect a local dealer to replace or refund a defective item.

With regard to LED Bulb reliability, why should it be much different
from CFL Bulbs? I have taken some defective CFL Bulbs apart and found
the defect is mostly due to an electronic part failure. Often they do
not they last long enough for the Fluorescent tube to turn black from
use.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:41:57 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

And others figure (correctly in most cases) a customer will not spend
$8 to send the defective unit back to china to get a $2 part replaced
under warranty.

It was bad enough when a "lifetime warranteed" memory module for my
laptop failed and one way shipping to return it to the "manufacturer"
in California cost me $18, it took over 3 weeks to get it replaced,
and I could buy another "lifetime guaranteed" module locally for $22..

I returned it "just on principal" and couldn't wate for it to be
returned so bought one locally anyway. Now I have an obvsolete brand
new memory module sitting in stock that I'll likely never use, that
effectively cost me $40.

I remember seeing some socket sets that had the lifetime guarantee.
They cost about $ 5. If oe broke you sent the old one back and $ 4.95
for shipping and handling to get it replaced.

Except for very bit ticket items, the warrenty does not seem to be worth
vrey much. Even the home warrenty you can get when you buy a house
seems worthless if you count up all the costs.

MOST home warrantees are a total expense -you'd have to buy a
realshack for it to ever pay off - and even then the exclusions would
end up killing you.
Extended warrantees on complex home electronics MAY be worthwhile -
particularly if they also cover accidental damage or loss.

Tool warrantees on tools you buy locally and get coverage at point of
sale can be worthwhile - particularly when they are a universal
warranty. Snap-on warrants their hand tools - replace "at the truck"
Craftsman warrantee was at any sears store. Mastercraft pro tools -
any Canadian Tire store, Proto at any UAP, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 pretended :
[...]

I'm glad somebody noticed. The 'mean' time of a single failure is
exactly the time of that failure and is basically useless as a measure.

I would think that they could test 100 items until maybe 25 of them
failed and get the mean time from that selection of failures.
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but there's no need for you to waste any time praying for my
soul. Nobody ever hears those prayers anyway.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright © 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:17:14 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:59:32 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:58:53 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,

says...
wrote:
[...]

No need for him to waste his time praying for me either. People who
believe in an after life and/or some godly being are just plain
delusional. I say, live your life now and make the best of it. It's all
we have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 1:51:03 PM UTC-6, pandora wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:17:14 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:59:32 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:58:53 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,

says...
wrote:
[...]

Exactly, we think alike on this.
====
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:17:14 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:59:32 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 12:58:53 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1"
wrote:
In article ,

says...
wrote:
[...]

Even if there was an afterlife, I want no part of it.

--

Checkmate, Royal Order of the DoW #1, and Official Ko0K Wrangler
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)
Originator of the "Dance for me" (tm) lame
Copyright © 2016
all rights reserved
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.philosophy.checkmate,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:16:55 -0700, "Checkmate, DoW #1" wrote:

Even if there was an afterlife, I want no part of it.

You don't have that power, dude. There IS an afterlife
and you will experience it. If you don't repent you
will experience hell and then the oblivion you wish for.

God gave you free will so you have free will to choose
between hell or heaven. At this time you are choosing
hell but there is still time to rethink your errant
decision.

As for Pandora, how can she claim she loved her husband?
If she loved her husband then she would make the correct
choice so she might be with him again. Oftentimes men
or women *get religion* just prior to their death. It
could be that Pandora's husband is in heaven waiting
for her. How will he feel when she dies and goes down
instead of up?

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving,alt.war.vietnam

On 9/10/2016 10:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

A LED is a Light Emitting Diode. As such is only
works up if current is supplied to the correct
side of the circuit.

For Alternating Current as used in a barn the AC
must be "rectified" so it all goes the same way.
This being the case, the LED bulb probably has a
failing rectifier (which also consists of diodes)
in its internal circuitry.

I use 12-volt DC LEDs in my fine yacht so I don't
experience this lubberly LED failure like you rabble
who dwell ashore in your foul smelling hovels.

--

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my learned opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the thin-skinned
or the ignorant."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:53:00 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Tool warrantees on tools you buy locally and get coverage at point of
sale can be worthwhile - particularly when they are a universal
warranty. Snap-on warrants their hand tools - replace "at the truck"
Craftsman warrantee was at any sears store. Mastercraft pro tools -
any Canadian Tire store, Proto at any UAP, etc.

Most of the tool warrantees that I have seen are already factored in the
price of the tool from the more expensive brands. YOu do not have the
option of one or not. That is if I go to Sears and get a Craftsman
wrench it will cost a certain price and I can not opt out of the
warrantee to get for a lesser price. If I buy an oven from them, they
will try to sell me an extended warrantee. I do have a choice on that.

You also have the choise whether you want to pay the extra for the
craftsman or buy the Sears brand with no warrantee.

Most places sell the "good stuff" with a warrantee and the "cheap
crap" without.. Some of the "cheap crap" isn't even all that bad, but
you are taking the chance - if it breaks you buy another one.

Flat bulb. Light bulb, that is. Dean Hoffman[_13_] Home Repair 1 January 3rd 14 08:50 PM
Constitutionality of light bulb ban questioned - Environmental Protection Agency must be called for a broken bulb metspitzer Home Repair 199 July 3rd 08 04:49 AM
I'm dying to know, what is a/b (e.g 6/4) vs. 2x4 bent Woodworking 20 April 4th 06 02:18 AM
Is DIY dying? Tony Bryer UK diy 35 November 25th 04 08:57 PM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM