Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desktop computer question

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:21:51 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
The SSD thing, I posted here months ago that when I changed from a HD
to SSD, I was surprised that there is still a faint kind of metallic
tinkling sound coming from the area of the CPU heat sink when the SSD
is doing heavy work. I can't explain it, but it's there. Somehow all
those electron running around manage to generate noise.

I think I remember that discussion. I'm betting it's just thermal
expansion as the CPU heats up under load. All those metal fins expand as
they heat up and can make noise as they move through the brackets or
whatever that hold the fins together.

It's similar to the tinking sound that comes from electric baseboard
heaters when they heat up, except the CPU can heat up a lot quicker.

Maybe, but the radiator thing only lasts for a few mins, while it's
changing temps, then it stops. This seems to continue.

You could probably fix it by installing a different heat sink that has
better cooling.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

No reason to fix it, you woudln't even notice it unless you went looking
for it. And it only happens with heavy SSD activity, which is rare here.
It might happen with other heavy data movement, or CPU activity, but
the SSD activity is the only place I noticed it.

You could take the SSD out of the case if your cable is long enough.
Easy enough to isolate the sound.

OT- Another computer question nestork Home Repair 13 January 8th 14 02:40 PM
desktop seam support question DJ Delorie Woodworking 24 November 12th 09 12:31 AM
computer question SteveB Home Repair 20 November 27th 05 03:27 PM
Desktop construction question Dave Woodworking 9 October 23rd 05 09:08 PM
Wires on desktop question TP Home Repair 7 February 12th 05 02:15 PM