TP

Default Wires on desktop question

Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

Joseph Meehan

TP wrote:
Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

Go to the insulation section of the DIY store and see what you can find.
Don't overlook the foam used for window air conditioners.

BTW I like William's suggestion. The DIY store may not have it, but a
good builder supply may be able to help

Look at the garage door section. They need to seal things that wide.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

William Deans

Greetings,

The best material for this space is a very course thick bristles like are
used in tooth brushes. The bristles should stop something from falling
through the crack but be flexible enough to force a wire through by hand.

Hope this helps,
William

"TP" wrote in message
Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

TP

Yes, I agree a bristle would be best. I have seen that in
company conference room tables. I haven't been able to locate
any place that sells only the bristle strips. Suppose I could
buy a wide broom and rip it on the table saw... :-)

"TP" wrote in message

Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

dadiOH

TP wrote:
Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

You can get full length brushes similar to the brush grommmet shown
here.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/search_...=1&filter=comp
uter&objectgroup_id=20

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

G. Morgan

Subject: Wires on desktop question
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=246821

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
George E. Cawthon

Joseph Meehan wrote:
TP wrote:

Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back
and sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the
computer, power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス
inches away from back wall to easily drop wires down. I知
looking for some suggestions on a material to fill that gap?
Something like foam or rubber that could easily be slit, and a
wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

Go to the insulation section of the DIY store and see what you can find.
Don't overlook the foam used for window air conditioners.

BTW I like William's suggestion. The DIY store may not have it, but a
good builder supply may be able to help

Look at the garage door section. They need to seal things that wide.

The op might also want to look at the formed water pipe
insulation tubes which can be cut any way one desires.
Really handy stuff. I put one between the cab and bed of my
previous pickup to cutout road noise that seemed to rise
directly from the road and into the sliding rear window when
the camper was on.
Dennis Turner

TP appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:
Putting in a new counter top, on a built in desk. Walls on back and
sides. Old top had a large hole to run wires down to the computer,
power, etc. I would like to leave the top approx. 1 ス inches away from
back wall to easily drop wires down. I知 looking for some suggestions
on a material to fill that gap? Something like foam or rubber that could
easily be slit, and a wire could be fed thru it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
TP

Jere's one that's 12 inches long. I guess you could combine several.....

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=5386

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.