Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical work in England

When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the left or the right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/16 9:16 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the
left or the right?

You are thinking of Australia ;-)

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 8/16/16 9:16 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the
left or the right?

You are thinking of Australia ;-)
In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!

I forgot there are other backward countries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:01:42 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 8/16/16 9:16 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the
left or the right?

You are thinking of Australia ;-)

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!

Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.

Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2016 11:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!

Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.
Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -

Since everything in those countries is 220, do they have to get an
electrician every time they need electrical work done?

Why? It is no more dangerous than working on 220 here. Of course if
everyone followed the rules here they would get a permit to change a
lightbulb and have it inspected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 00:04:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Why? It is no more dangerous than working on 220 here.

Not really true. 220 in other countries is line to neutral (above
ground) In the US 120/240 is just 120 to neutral/ground. You have to
go line to line to see 240
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
On 8/16/2016 11:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!
Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.
Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -

Since everything in those countries is 220, do they have to get an
electrician every time they need electrical work done?

Why? It is no more dangerous than working on 220 here. Of course if
everyone followed the rules here they would get a permit to change a
lightbulb and have it inspected.

The legal aspect is what I was wondering about. In the US we're SUPPOSED to get an electrician to do 220 work, although I've done my own many times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:58:53 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:01:42 -0400, Retired wrote:
On 8/16/16 9:16 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the
left or the right?

You are thinking of Australia ;-)

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!

Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.
Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -

Since everything in those countries is 220, do they have to get an electrician every time they need electrical work done?

I don't know about Australia and New Zealand, but in South Africa a
LOT of electrical work is (or was) done by the property owner - and in
many cases it was obvious.
In many areas of South Africa and Brazil (and I imagine the outback of
Australia) getting an electrician on-site could involve some serious
travel cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 23:18:27 -0500, "cowabunga dude"
wrote:

Ed wrote:
On 8/16/2016 11:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!
Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.
Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -

Since everything in those countries is 220, do they have to get an
electrician every time they need electrical work done?

Why? It is no more dangerous than working on 220 here. Of course if
everyone followed the rules here they would get a permit to change a
lightbulb and have it inspected.

The legal aspect is what I was wondering about. In the US we're SUPPOSED to get an electrician to do 220 work, although I've done my own many times.

Why do you think 120v is exempt? In places where "owner/builder" is
legal, there is no difference between 120 and 240. You are still
supposed to have a permit for any changes to the fixed wiring in your
building. Whether you need a licensed electrician is up to local/state
law

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

It's been more than 40 years since I even visited the family farm in Northeast Alabamastan but in the rural area, I don't recall us getting a permit for anything even building the house 50+ years ago or the barn in the 1960's.. I believe APCO inspected the wiring before they would hook up the drop and plug in a meter but there was never anyone from the county coming around to snoop. My dad never got a permit for anything we built or wired. Of course, that was in the last century. Perhaps now, in the 21st century, the county weasels are using satellite imagery to eyeball everyone's property to detect any new construction? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Rural Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2016 9:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My dad never got a permit for anything we built or wired. Of course, that was in the last century. Perhaps now, in the 21st century, the county weasels are using satellite imagery to eyeball everyone's property to detect any new construction? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Rural Monster

About 30 years ago I rebuilt and enlarged my deck. No permit, no one
from the town ever visited. Now they have photos that show my deck and
the dimensions. Thanks Google Earth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
On 8/16/2016 11:58 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think
?!
[...]

Out here in the woods of north central Arkansas it's still that way .
There are no building codes or inspections , though the insurance company
might want to look at the wiring before issuing a policy . I haven't asked
.... they're probably not going to issue until construction is pretty much
finished , so if it burns we're screwed .
Just because there are no codes/inspections doesn't mean that I'm going to
take any stupid shortcuts , everything I'm doing would pass code in any
place that allows owners to perform the work . Little things like locating
wiring where it passes thru framing far enough from finished surfaces that
say a drywall screw isn't going to penetrate is important ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:23:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

About 30 years ago I rebuilt and enlarged my deck. No permit, no one
from the town ever visited. Now they have photos that show my deck and
the dimensions. Thanks Google Earth.

Did property taxes increase?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2016 12:38 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:23:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

About 30 years ago I rebuilt and enlarged my deck. No permit, no one
from the town ever visited. Now they have photos that show my deck and
the dimensions. Thanks Google Earth.

Did property taxes increase?

No more than normal. They have no record of the 10 x 12 replaced by 12
x 16 but now they do if I ever enlarged it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2016 6:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

It's been more than 40 years since I even visited the family farm in Northeast Alabamastan(sic) but in the rural area, I don't recall us getting a permit for anything even building the house 50+ years ago or the barn in the 1960's. I believe APCO inspected the wiring before they would hook up the drop and plug in a meter but there was never anyone from the county coming around to snoop. My dad never got a permit for anything we built or wired. Of course, that was in the last century. Perhaps now, in the 21st century, the county weasels are using satellite imagery to eyeball everyone's property to detect any new construction? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Anal Monster

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

Farmers are usually exempt and there are plenty of rural places with
no building codes at all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 12:23:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/17/2016 9:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My dad never got a permit for anything we built or wired. Of course, that was in the last century. Perhaps now, in the 21st century, the county weasels are using satellite imagery to eyeball everyone's property to detect any new construction? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Rural Monster

About 30 years ago I rebuilt and enlarged my deck. No permit, no one
from the town ever visited. Now they have photos that show my deck and
the dimensions. Thanks Google Earth.

They really do not go looking for unpermitted work that much in Lee
County Fl but the tax man will find you right away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

There are still some unregulated townships where building permits are
not required and you can build a rendering plant right next door the a
rich man's "castle". They are becoming more rare every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

If I were able bodied, I might join my baby brother who's in his 50's and living on the family farm. After my mother died, the property was willed to me and my siblings so I own one ninth of the property. It's under 200 acres right on top of a mountain and the highest point in the area. The driveway is a quarter mile long and the main house is around a mile from one of the largest flea markets in the Southeast, Mountain Top Flea Market. The view from the peak which is 100 yards up-slope from the house is incredible. You can see the city that's county seat 15 miles away. It's GREEN up there on the mountain, there are so many trees of all kinds. All sorts of plant life and wildlife including doves, rabbits, possum, snakes, frogs, foxes and bobcats to name a few. I remember seeing the occasional lizard or scorpion on the wall inside the house. There were grand-daddy long legs spiders everywhere and there was that certain time of the year when we kids caught June bugs, tied a thread to one of their legs and flew them around like a tethered model airplane. I just looked at the satellite view of the flea market and was able to see the roof of the barn and the house on our farm. I was only able to see parts of the driveway through the trees, lots of trees. ^_^

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a_Alabama.html

http://tinyurl.com/jgz9vex

http://www.lesdeal.com/

[8~{} Uncle Flea Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

cowabunga dude posted for all of us...

When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the left or the right?

Yes

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed wrote:
[...]

On the subject of stinking. A year ago a company built an oilfield tank battery about 1/2 mile away. I've since learned it stores frac chemicals. There are days that stink lingers over here on days of no wind. The smell can get quite strong indoors.

The people living closer are probably having worse problems.

There is also a oilfield water hauling company that pumps so much water out of the ground that people closer than me are having problems of their water wells going dry.

This whole area is not zoned and unregulated for what you can do on the land.

There is pasture land appx 400 feet away where cattle have been grazing. That smell can be strong, but better tolerated than frac chemicals.

Some other neighbors let their herd of 25+ goats roam unattended during the day, which come here and strip leaves off trees, and get up in juniper trees and break limbs off. At least they were unattended until I started shooting some of their goats. Now they try to keep them off my land. I tried for many years to talk them into controlling the goats. They pretend they don't speak English, which ****es me off because I know they speak English, when they want to.

They're lucky I only use a 22 to shoot the goats and also that I hate goat meat or they'd really wouldn't like it.

Peoples horses, cows and sheep come over and graze and drink water, and I don't have a problem with that because they don't damage trees or shrubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 7:40:31 PM UTC-5, cowabunga dude wrote:

[...]

How do the goats react to dogs that could run them off? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Goat Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

When I had a dog it would bark and run around the goats and they would ignore the dog so bad it was almost neurotic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 17:01:36 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

There are still some unregulated townships where building permits are
not required and you can build a rendering plant right next door the a
rich man's "castle". They are becoming more rare every year.

That's a fragrant prospect...

And a verty real possibility in many areas including much of rural
eastern New York, and quite a bit of the rural Carolinas, as well as
much of the hollers of Kentucky and Tennessee (much of Appalachia)
where the unregulated townships are (or at least were until VERY
recently) quite common. I've heard stories of the "big man" in certain
areas falling out of favour with the local population and having
similar "industries" spring up across the road or next door -
sometimes financed by the "big man" from the next county, or a local
political opponent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 20:32:23 -0500, "cowabunga dude"
wrote:

Uncle wrote:
[...]

Takes a strong and brave dog to tangle with 2 or more billy goats.
Worse, for the dog, than a herd of Texas Longhorns - and the goats
know it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:32:32 PM UTC-5, cowabunga dude wrote:
Uncle wrote:
[...]

Was it a herding dog or just a run of the mill mutt? I had a dog "who" would bite people and animals on the butt to get their attention. He was a big goofy son of a bitch. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Puppy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

It was a mutt. Bigger than a small dog, smaller than a medium size dog. During the day it barked at goats, they ignored it. It didn't bite. That dog would have a fit because goats and horses and everything else ignored it.

Barking during the day didn't bother me because I wasn't trying to sleep. At night horses would come over and it barked all night. The damn dog just would not shut up. I finally had to find it a new home.

Since my sheep dog died close to 20 years ago, I haven't found a dog that worked out. The sheep dog only barked when it actually needed to. When he barked at night I got up and knew something was wrong. He was a character, he was buddies with chickens, ducks, cats, and a goat I had for about a year. Goats eat everything they aren't supposed to eat, and won't eat what you want them to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

I've mentioned my family farm here before which is on top of a mountain where I'd like to be able to move to. The area is relatively quiet and the driveway is a quarter mile long. I'd be able to have all sorts of pets there without neighbors complaining. When I was a kid, we had a lot of cats and dogs. They were the food scrap disposal units and critter control police. The air is so fresh and clean up there on the mountain. There are trees, all sorts of plant life and wildlife everywhere. There is even a huge flea market just over a mile away open every Sunday where you can find just about anything. It's 60 miles Northeast of here and far enough out in the country to be comfortable but not too far from civilization. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Country Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

A headstrong billy goat would have taught the mut a quick lesson -
particularly if working alongside another headstrong Billy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a bad cae of "small dog syndrome" "If it's bigger than
me, it must be dinner"

Since my sheep dog died close to 20 years ago, I haven't found a dog that worked out. The sheep dog only barked when it actually needed to. When he barked at night I got up and knew something was wrong. He was a character, he was buddies with chickens, ducks, cats, and a goat I had for about a year. Goats eat everything they aren't supposed to eat, and won't eat what you want them to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle wrote:
[...]

Mr Ed cranked up on a couple of wild hogs a few weeks ago and when I
called him off he was humping the bigger one. I was worried he might
get gored but that was not the end of the hog he was interested in.
They got the hell out of there as soon as he got off the big one.

electrical work - distinguishing old work sm_jamieson UK diy 19 July 24th 10 12:58 PM
doing some electrical work Apsteinberg Home Repair 16 October 6th 06 11:57 PM
Electrical Work Ray DeVoe Home Repair 5 July 21st 06 12:08 PM
Doing your own electrical work Dave UK diy 22 November 23rd 05 03:22 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM