Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical work in England

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:58:53 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 22:01:42 -0400, Retired wrote:
On 8/16/16 9:16 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:
When you do electrical work in England, do you twist the wires to the
left or the right?

You are thinking of Australia ;-)

In England, the black is neutral, and the white is hot, I think ?!

Since 2004 the brtiish neutral is blue. Lines are black grey and
brown. Previously the neutral was black, and the lines were red,
yellow, and blue.
Only Australia, Brazil, New Zealand and South Africa use a white
"line" conductor in AC power systems. -

Since everything in those countries is 220, do they have to get an electrician every time they need electrical work done?

I don't know about Australia and New Zealand, but in South Africa a
LOT of electrical work is (or was) done by the property owner - and in
many cases it was obvious.
In many areas of South Africa and Brazil (and I imagine the outback of
Australia) getting an electrician on-site could involve some serious
travel cost.