Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why put tennis balls on Walker legs?

A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

They allow it to be slid...the rubber does not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2016 3:59 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

They allow it to be slid...the rubber does not.

Here I thought, if you fell down, it would be balls up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

The tennis balls let it slide but the superior solution is a pair of ski glides which allow the walker to slide a lot easier. The staff here at the center gave me a walker to use and it had nylon ski glides in place of the rubber crutch tips. It was a lot easier to use than the one I have at home which has worn through rubber crutch tips. I'm going to get ski tips from Amazon for my walker. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/WALKER-GLIDES.../dp/B004JCCXE6

http://tinyurl.com/jmp5zwq

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2016 7:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

The tennis balls let it slide but the superior solution is a pair of ski glides which allow the walker to slide a lot easier. The staff here at the center gave me a walker to use and it had nylon ski glides in place of the rubber crutch tips. It was a lot easier to use than the one I have at home which has worn through rubber crutch tips. I'm going to get ski tips from Amazon for my walker. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/WALKER-GLIDES.../dp/B004JCCXE6

http://tinyurl.com/jmp5zwq

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster

My wife uses one with wheels and a seat
http://justwalkers.com/rollators/4-wheel-rollators.html
You can get them for less than $75.
You can also carry some stuff with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 7:42:55 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/3/2016 7:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

The tennis balls let it slide but the superior solution is a pair of ski glides which allow the walker to slide a lot easier. The staff here at the center gave me a walker to use and it had nylon ski glides in place of the rubber crutch tips. It was a lot easier to use than the one I have at home which has worn through rubber crutch tips. I'm going to get ski tips from Amazon for my walker. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/WALKER-GLIDES.../dp/B004JCCXE6

http://tinyurl.com/jmp5zwq

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster

My wife uses one with wheels and a seat
http://justwalkers.com/rollators/4-wheel-rollators.html
You can get them for less than $75.
You can also carry some stuff with them.

Those are nice. I saw a couple in the physical terrorism department today when the physical terrorist was making me do things that caused me a great deal of pain. I like her anyway, she's a sweet gal. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pained Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:50:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

I think those were originally designed for skiing with a walker but
have been used indoors recently.

https://www.amazon.com/WALKER-GLIDES.../dp/B004JCCXE6

http://tinyurl.com/jmp5zwq

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 08:17:14 -0400, Micky
wrote:

I think those were originally designed for skiing with a walker but
have been used indoors recently.

That is ironic considering the number of people who use walkers
because of skiing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2016 12:59 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

They allow it to be slid...the rubber does not.

Same thing as putting some Vaseline on Bob's bunghole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 12:59:08 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

They allow it to be slid...the rubber does not.

That eliminates my theory that the men in Nursing Homes installed the
tennis balls, so they could show off their balls to the women in the
Nursing Home.

Seriously, I never really noticed the "slid" part, because I mostly used
it on carpetting, or outdoors on the patio blocks. Because the injury
consisted of torn muscles in my leg, I mostly just needed the walker to
help me stand up. Once I was up, I could walk without it on a flat
surface, as long as I kept the leg relatively straight. Steps were the
biggest problems, but the railing on the stairway was then used. Getting
off a chair or out of bed was the worst problem, which required the
walker. I was really glad when I no longer needed it, but it sure helped
when I did. At my age, I figure I may as well keep it around, but hope
it can stay in the closet for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

They allow it to be slid...the rubber does not.

***First of all original rubber were it self out kind quickly Replacement
are $36.00 set and are pain in bottom to put them on, while tennis ball
slit it and pushed on and lot chipper, save time and money.
A another thing is that balls move over the carpet easer and don't
grab for every little thing or crack.

That eliminates my theory that the men in Nursing Homes installed the
tennis balls, so they could show off their balls to the women in the
Nursing Home.

Seriously, I never really noticed the "slid" part, because I mostly used
it on carpetting, or outdoors on the patio blocks. Because the injury
consisted of torn muscles in my leg, I mostly just needed the walker to
help me stand up. Once I was up, I could walk without it on a flat
surface, as long as I kept the leg relatively straight. Steps were the
biggest problems, but the railing on the stairway was then used. Getting
off a chair or out of bed was the worst problem, which required the
walker. I was really glad when I no longer needed it, but it sure helped
when I did. At my age, I figure I may as well keep it around, but hope
it can stay in the closet for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Odd, I paid $5.00 for 2 pair of crutch tips that replaced my walker's worn out rubber feet perfectly. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Shuffling Monster