Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Why put tennis balls on Walker legs?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:50:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A while back, I was injured and had to use a walker for a few weeks. I
bought a used one at a second hand store. It came with tennis balls on
the legs. I was just putting it away and noticed there are rubber "cups"
on the legs beneath the tennis balls. This makes me wonder why they put
the cut-open tennis balls on the legs. And I see this on almost every
walker used by people.....

Do the tennis balls provide a better grip than the rubber, or is there
another reason?

The tennis balls let it slide but the superior solution is a pair of ski glides which allow the walker to slide a lot easier. The staff here at the center gave me a walker to use and it had nylon ski glides in place of the rubber crutch tips. It was a lot easier to use than the one I have at home which has worn through rubber crutch tips. I'm going to get ski tips from Amazon for my walker. ^_^

I think those were originally designed for skiing with a walker but
have been used indoors recently.

https://www.amazon.com/WALKER-GLIDES.../dp/B004JCCXE6

http://tinyurl.com/jmp5zwq

[8~{} Uncle Tip Monster