Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squealing fan motor

On 3 Aug 2016 17:35:35 GMT, KenK wrote:

The motor in the floor fan in my office is squealing loudly when the fan is
started. Just began a few days ago. Most of these fans have sealed bearings
and can't be oiled. I've tried other fans unsuccessfully in the past.
Anything help besides replacing the fan? Worth the trouble of taking off
the front of the case and trying to squirt some oil around the motor shaft
if I can get to it?

TIA

Let me guess, a stray pig got inside your fan............

Seriously, you can often oil those "sealed bearings" by filling a
medical syringe with some thin oil, and squirting it in the motor
bearings. Of course the bearings might already be worn and it's too late
to do any permanent repair. But the oil can make that motor last a few
more months or so. (Or years if you oil it regularly).

Sealed bearings are just "planned obsolescense". The only advantage is
for the manufacturer, because they can get you to open your wallet and
buy another of their short lived fans or other products (with motors).

Note:
If the bearings have a rubber-like material around the shaft, you can
often pierce that material with the syringe needle and inject the oil.
If there is a hard plastic around the shaft, use a very thin drill bit
to CAREFULLY make a hole to squirt the oil.

# Syringes can be purchased at pharmacies or farm supply stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:35:40 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
The motor in the floor fan in my office is squealing loudly when the fan is
started. Just began a few days ago. Most of these fans have sealed bearings
and can't be oiled. I've tried other fans unsuccessfully in the past.
Anything help besides replacing the fan? Worth the trouble of taking off
the front of the case and trying to squirt some oil around the motor shaft
if I can get to it?

TIA

Turbine oil, I've found on some...if you remove the back-housing screw...you can spray the rear bearing through that hole. It's hit and miss when they dry-out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 1:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Note:
If the bearings have a rubber-like material around the shaft, you can
often pierce that material with the syringe needle and inject the oil.
If there is a hard plastic around the shaft, use a very thin drill bit
to CAREFULLY make a hole to squirt the oil.

# Syringes can be purchased at pharmacies or farm supply stores.

Fan motors (especially squealing ones) are most likely (Chinese?) sleeve bearings. Another point: on a sealed bearing you can pop the seal off with a scribe or awl...clean it, and re-lube it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've extended the life of many porous bronze sleeve bearing motors by using a tiny drill bit to drill a hole into the metal bearing housing to get to the felt in the oil reservoir. I would grind the sharp tip off the needle on a syringe so I basically had a tiny hollow tube. It didn't seem to make any difference if there was a sharp tip on the needle as far as dispensing oil but it made it much safer to handle. I'd use either turbine oil or 3-In-One Oil in the syringe, push the needle through the hole into the felt in the oil reservoir and soak it. A few tiny drops of oil around the shaft where it comes out of one of both ends of the motor will soak in especially if you pull the shaft in and out as you twist it. It may take a little while for the oil to soak into the bearing but the friction warming the bearing pulls the oil into the porous bronze. I'd put a drop of hot melt glue or silicone sealer over the hole in the bearing housing so I could get back in if I had to. I saw motors I serviced that way often last for years. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you and all the others that gave me advice here.

Now...

I'm trying to follow the advice and lube the motor. I can't get the fan
blade off the motor shaft to gat at the motor. I also tried removing the
set screw and injecting penetrating oil. Been running it that way without
the screw but it still hasn't loosened. The motor seems to be all firmly
enclosed on the other side.

Suggestions on getting this blade off?

YIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Aug 2016 17:37:28 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now...

I'm trying to follow the advice and lube the motor. I can't get the fan
blade off the motor shaft to gat at the motor. I also tried removing the
set screw and injecting penetrating oil. Been running it that way without
the screw but it still hasn't loosened. The motor seems to be all firmly
enclosed on the other side.

Suggestions on getting this blade off?

A tool like a gear puller may work. Is the fan pressed on the motor
shaft, sans screw?

For lube, check out "needle oilier's" in tight spots.

https://tinyurl.com/ztkoa24
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 12:53:25 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On 30 Aug 2016 17:37:28 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now...

I'm trying to follow the advice and lube the motor. I can't get the fan
blade off the motor shaft to gat at the motor. I also tried removing the
set screw and injecting penetrating oil. Been running it that way without
the screw but it still hasn't loosened. The motor seems to be all firmly
enclosed on the other side.

Suggestions on getting this blade off?

A tool like a gear puller may work. Is the fan pressed on the motor
shaft, sans screw?

For lube, check out "needle oilier's" in tight spots.

https://tinyurl.com/ztkoa24

I have one of those in my small electronic tool bag. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Oily Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 12:37:33 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote in
:

--

You could post a picture to an image sharing site like tiny pic. A thousand words..... ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Picture Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Turn the nut the other way. It is left hand thread

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heating the blade and shaft with a small flame, like from a Bernzomatic torch, or one of those small torches that connect directly to a small can of propane or some other gas should loosen things up. A few blows with a hammer while the shaft and blade are hot should do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Most are pressed on with a spring clip that catches on the shaft. A
royal pain to remove - there is a tool made for each type to release
the epring but good luck finding the right one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The ones with a speed nut should still twist off and it won't matter
which way you turn it but all of the fans I have use a pollack
threaded nut
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It just dawned on me that a lot of fan blade hubs have one setscrew on top of another. The second setscrew is used to lock the first setscrew in. You should check for that. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Screwed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 3:46:27 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

It just dawned on me that a lot of fan blade hubs have one setscrew on top of another. The second setscrew is used to lock the first setscrew in. You should check for that. O_o

[8~{} Unclear Screwed-over Monsterd

Maybe on an industrial exhaust fan...but a floor fan? GMAFB! o_O

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I wasn't talking about a speed-nut. I was talking about more of a
toothed spring equivalent of a key, working on a flat instead ofa
ke-way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP never stated what type of material the blade was made of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

It just dawned on me that a lot of fan blade hubs have one setscrew on
top of another. The second setscrew is used to lock the first setscrew
in. You should check for that. O_o

Nope. Just one set screw on this one. Thanks anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Aug 2016 17:44:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

wrote in news
The ones with a speed nut should still twist off and it won't matter
which way you turn it but all of the fans I have use a pollack
threaded nut

To twist it off you need to be able to hold the motor shaft while twisting
the fan blade, right? But how to hold the motor shaft? - it's hidden behind
the blade.

There is no knurled hub/nut in the front?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving,alt.usenet.kooks

Default KENNY THE KoOk TALKS ABOUT "Squealing."

On 8/3/2016 10:35 AM, KenK wrote:
The motor in the floor fan in my office is squealing loudly when the fan is
started. Just began a few days ago. Most of these fans have sealed bearings
and can't be oiled. I've tried other fans unsuccessfully in the past.
Anything help besides replacing the fan? Worth the trouble of taking off
the front of the case and trying to squirt some oil around the motor shaft
if I can get to it?

TIA

Yer wife seems to squeal when I give her my shaft.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 12:47:01 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote in
:

It just dawned on me that a lot of fan blade hubs have one setscrew on
top of another. The second setscrew is used to lock the first setscrew
in. You should check for that. O_o

Nope. Just one set screw on this one. Thanks anyhow.
--

Darn, I wish you would/could post a picture of what you're working on to an image sharing site so I could see what you have there. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Aug 2016 17:42:01 GMT, KenK wrote:

wrote in news:v3pbsbt6kqv3fnqp02rct3prn840ps2agp@
4ax.com:

Most are pressed on with a spring clip that catches on the shaft. A
royal pain to remove - there is a tool made for each type to release
the epring but good luck finding the right one.

In that case is there still a set screw in the blade hub? (Trying to
determine if this might be my problem.)

Can be. Not always.

squealing brakes badgolferman Home Repair 11 July 19th 14 08:07 AM
washing machine squealing Van Home Repair 10 November 21st 12 03:47 AM
squealing toilet EL4 Home Repair 2 June 14th 05 12:12 AM
squealing transformer BigTom Electronics Repair 7 January 12th 05 08:47 AM
radon pump squealing Barbara White Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 10:15 PM