Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squealing fan motor

On 30 Aug 2016 17:37:28 GMT, KenK wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote in
:

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 1:06:04 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On 3 Aug 2016 17:35:35 GMT, KenK wrote:

The motor in the floor fan in my office is squealing loudly when the
fan

is
started. Just began a few days ago. Most of these fans have sealed
beari

ngs
and can't be oiled. I've tried other fans unsuccessfully in the
past. Anything help besides replacing the fan? Worth the trouble of
taking off

the front of the case and trying to squirt some oil around the motor
sha

ft
if I can get to it?

TIA

Let me guess, a stray pig got inside your fan............

Seriously, you can often oil those "sealed bearings" by filling a
medical syringe with some thin oil, and squirting it in the motor
bearings. Of course the bearings might already be worn and it's too
late to do any permanent repair. But the oil can make that motor last
a few more months or so. (Or years if you oil it regularly).

Sealed bearings are just "planned obsolescense". The only advantage
is for the manufacturer, because they can get you to open your wallet
and buy another of their short lived fans or other products (with
motors).

Note:
If the bearings have a rubber-like material around the shaft, you can
often pierce that material with the syringe needle and inject the
oil. If there is a hard plastic around the shaft, use a very thin
drill bit to CAREFULLY make a hole to squirt the oil.

# Syringes can be purchased at pharmacies or farm supply stores.

I've extended the life of many porous bronze sleeve bearing motors by
using a tiny drill bit to drill a hole into the metal bearing housing
to get to the felt in the oil reservoir. I would grind the sharp tip
off the needle on a syringe so I basically had a tiny hollow tube. It
didn't seem to make any difference if there was a sharp tip on the
needle as far as dispensing oil but it made it much safer to handle.
I'd use either turbine oil or 3-In-One Oil in the syringe, push the
needle through the hole into the felt in the oil reservoir and soak
it. A few tiny drops of oil around the shaft where it comes out of one
of both ends of the motor will soak in especially if you pull the
shaft in and out as you twist it. It may take a little while for the
oil to soak into the bearing but the friction warming the bearing
pulls the oil into the porous bronze. I'd put a drop of hot melt glue
or silicone sealer over the hole in the bearing housing so I could get
back in if I had to. I saw motors I serviced that way often last for
years. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster

Thanks to you and all the others that gave me advice here.

Now...

I'm trying to follow the advice and lube the motor. I can't get the fan
blade off the motor shaft to gat at the motor. I also tried removing the
set screw and injecting penetrating oil. Been running it that way without
the screw but it still hasn't loosened. The motor seems to be all firmly
enclosed on the other side.

Suggestions on getting this blade off?

YIA

Turn the nut the other way. It is left hand thread