Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a "Waterless Urinal"?

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above
it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe
for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush
automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water).
So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2016 03:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above
it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe
for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush
automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water).
So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?

I've seen several in England, but I haven't a clue how they work.

Since they reak so bad because they do not rinse the **** residue away,
how well do they accommodate a urinal cake?

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 06/29/2016 03:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal.
Above
it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe
for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush
automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water).
So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?

I've seen several in England, but I haven't a clue how they work.

Since they reak so bad because they do not rinse the **** residue away,
how well do they accommodate a urinal cake?

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

Lucky guy, maybe that one was just cleaned. Have you ever used the
urinal in a porta-potty? That my friend is a waterless urinal, and they
do smell bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2016 4:26 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Waterless urinals don't smell near as bad as porta-pottys but they do
get fairly smelly until the filter is changed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:29:37 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 06/29/2016 03:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above
it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe
for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush
automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water).
So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?

I've seen several in England, but I haven't a clue how they work.

Since they reak so bad because they do not rinse the **** residue away,
how well do they accommodate a urinal cake?

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

The one I used did not smell either. It did have a urinal cake in it
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 06/29/2016 03:16 PM, urinal cake advocate wrote:

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above
it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe
for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush
automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water).
So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?

I've seen several in England, but I haven't a clue how they work.

Since they reak so bad because they do not rinse the **** residue away,
how well do they accommodate a urinal cake?

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

I've used two, one at a park miles from nowhere and one in the middle
of Towson, Md, a bustling suburb of Baltimore. at a Microcenter store.

Neither smelled at all, and the smell of porta-potties has nothing to
with it. That's what makes waterless urinals a big advance over
porta-potties.

Although porta-potties too smell far far better than they did 50 years
ago. It's quite amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your mouth
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've used them and had them installed on some projects.

They are all over Europe where water is more expensive.

The trap capsule has oil in it. Water is heavier than oil, it flows down through. If you dump a mop bucket in it you wash the oil down, and then it gets stinky. There wasn't a filter per se in the ones I used.

Nice thing about them, the capsule that holds the oil pops out with a quarter turn, and you can get a snake directly in the drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 04:51:12 -0400, Micky
wrote:

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

I've used two, one at a park miles from nowhere and one in the middle
of Towson, Md, a bustling suburb of Baltimore. at a Microcenter store.

Neither smelled at all, and the smell of porta-potties has nothing to
with it. That's what makes waterless urinals a big advance over
porta-potties.

Although porta-potties too smell far far better than they did 50 years
ago. It's quite amazing.

I was at an event recently and all th porta potties had signs on them
that said something like "We save (number) million gallons of water
yearly". I got to thinking about that..... It sounds like one of those
claims intended to "appeal" to the public, who are concerned about the
environment. (which is a popular thing these days).

Then I thought about the method they use.

First off, those chemicals contain water.

Second, what is that blue stuff? Meaning, how harmful is that chemical,
and what effect does it have on the environment? Where does that blue
stuff go after the porta-potties are emptied? Does it break down, or
does it contaminate clean water or soil?

I dont know enough about those chemicals, but I feel they are a lot more
dangerous to the environment than simply using water to wash down the
poop and urine.

And, getting back to the "waterless urinals"....
Since they use OIL, it seems to me that mixing oil with water is
definately not an environmentally safe practice....

In all honesty, the safest method to dispose of human waste, is the old
fashioned "outhouse". In other words, just dig a hole and let the waste

Of course most people can not have outhouses, especially in the cities,
so there seems to be little alternatives, than to use water.

One thing that most people dont realize is that places like California,
water is a shortage, and they really do need to conserve it. But there
are many places in the country that have plenty water, and having that
backyard septic system is no problem at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:26:10 PM UTC-4, urinal cake advocate wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

My friend once took her grandmother to a event that had porta-potties.
Grandma had never used one before. After using the facilities she came
out and announced "That wasn't so bad. They even have a place to put
your purse."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 07:29:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've seen and used them. I'm totally not impressed.
In theory, if the bowl and pipes are made of the
correct stuff (PVC?) there is no need for water
to flush. Makes no sense, except to the enviro
people who want to save the planet at the expense
of common sense.

They're needed where there is little or no water. The first place I
went to was on the edge of a desert, near no town, and I'm sure there
was no 'city' water, and it would have been hard to drill a succesful
well, and not worth it either, just to provide for urinals and
toilets. I didn't look at the toilet. Maybe they trucked in water
for that. . There was no cafeteria either. Workers who wanted to
drink water while there had to bring their own. They made have sold
water or soda for tourists.

But the second one was right in the middle of town here, and it
surprised me, and still does. It was Sloan, but the font they use
made it look like SUDAN. I found the urinal on the Sloan page and it
had no details at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 00:55:02 -0400, Micky
wrote:

They're needed where there is little or no water. The first place I
went to was on the edge of a desert, near no town, and I'm sure there
was no 'city' water, and it would have been hard to drill a succesful
well,

If you are in a place like this, who needs a toilet at all. Go outdoors
and take a **** anywhere!!! If you have to take a ****, dig down 4
inches into the sand and do your job!