Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default What is a "Waterless Urinal"?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 04:51:12 -0400, Micky
wrote:

I know I've used one, but I can't be sure about any others. The one I
know I used did not smell.

Perce

I've used two, one at a park miles from nowhere and one in the middle
of Towson, Md, a bustling suburb of Baltimore. at a Microcenter store.

Neither smelled at all, and the smell of porta-potties has nothing to
with it. That's what makes waterless urinals a big advance over
porta-potties.

Although porta-potties too smell far far better than they did 50 years
ago. It's quite amazing.

I was at an event recently and all th porta potties had signs on them
that said something like "We save (number) million gallons of water
yearly". I got to thinking about that..... It sounds like one of those
claims intended to "appeal" to the public, who are concerned about the
environment. (which is a popular thing these days).

Then I thought about the method they use.

First off, those chemicals contain water.

Second, what is that blue stuff? Meaning, how harmful is that chemical,
and what effect does it have on the environment? Where does that blue
stuff go after the porta-potties are emptied? Does it break down, or
does it contaminate clean water or soil?

I dont know enough about those chemicals, but I feel they are a lot more
dangerous to the environment than simply using water to wash down the
poop and urine.

And, getting back to the "waterless urinals"....
Since they use OIL, it seems to me that mixing oil with water is
definately not an environmentally safe practice....

In all honesty, the safest method to dispose of human waste, is the old
fashioned "outhouse". In other words, just dig a hole and let the waste

Of course most people can not have outhouses, especially in the cities,
so there seems to be little alternatives, than to use water.

One thing that most people dont realize is that places like California,
water is a shortage, and they really do need to conserve it. But there
are many places in the country that have plenty water, and having that
backyard septic system is no problem at all.