Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My website on Brooklyn parquetry floor borders

For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures
of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I created
the site I was unable to find any resources on floor borders. So I created
the site for me and others to use.

http://floorborders.com/

In addition to all my pictures, I include what I learned when I installed a
face-nailed floor in my new kitchen. So that information would be useful to
anyone working on their floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2016 6:09 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures
of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I created
the site I was unable to find any resources on floor borders. So I created
the site for me and others to use.

http://floorborders.com/

Wow! Excellent! And, obviously, a significant time sink!

In addition to all my pictures, I include what I learned when I installed a
face-nailed floor in my new kitchen. So that information would be useful to
anyone working on their floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2016 9:09 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures
of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I created
the site I was unable to find any resources on floor borders. So I created
the site for me and others to use.

http://floorborders.com/

In addition to all my pictures, I include what I learned when I installed a
face-nailed floor in my new kitchen. So that information would be useful to
anyone working on their floors.

Great job. I had no idea so many different floor designs existed, let
alone in Brooklyn.

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Beautiful work. Thank you. I've used the
"knot of eternity" motif in vinyl and ceramic floor tile.
It's interesting to see how many variations there
are. And your website is very functional. (A relief
these days.)

One thought: You might consider a black
background for the wood images, with white
text. I often see photographers display that
way and I like the way it brings out the image.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2016 9:20 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 6/28/2016 6:09 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures
of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I created
the site I was unable to find any resources on floor borders. So I
created
the site for me and others to use.

http://floorborders.com/

Wow! Excellent! And, obviously, a significant time sink!

I was floored by this too ;}

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Mayayana wrote:

Beautiful work. Thank you. I've used the
"knot of eternity" motif in vinyl and ceramic floor tile.
It's interesting to see how many variations there
are.

Oh. You mean the knot has a name? What I know has been what I've been able
to figure out. Looking that up I see the floor corners are simpler, but the
same idea.

The more pictures I get the more organization I can give them. And I want
to keep them all Brooklyn.

And your website is very functional. (A relief
these days.)

I am a minimalist when it comes to coding web pages. And I've tested at
w3.org to make the pages bug-free. Most web pages are riddled with HTML
bugs. You don't see them as the browser has worked around them. Though
different browsers may do this differently.

This project is built on things I've done in the past. I'm going off for
planned bicycle trips to take pictures. I was doing that for my Brooklyn
Storefronts project, but that is long dead. This time I have to precisely
time the stops.

There is a lot of programming to build the site. Something I like to do.
Much of it is based on my other sites, like the catalog slide shows come
from my jwissandsons.com site. The scraping of information off pages to
build other pages comes from paleofood.com. And I have a lot of little
utilities to help with code creation.

One thought: You might consider a black
background for the wood images, with white
text. I often see photographers display that
way and I like the way it brings out the image.

The one photo site that I frequent that uses that scheme -- dpreview.com --
has just switched to a white background. But the banner is still black, and
it doesn't fit.

But back to me. Not all of this site is a photo site. And I want to remain
a minimalist.

With a holiday weekend coming up there will be no open houses. But I'll get
a batch of pictures on all the following Sundays. And I will merge them in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Beautiful work. Thank you. I've used the
| "knot of eternity" motif in vinyl and ceramic floor tile.
| It's interesting to see how many variations there
| are.
|
| Oh. You mean the knot has a name?

I've also heard "endless knot" and similar. There
are probably other names. The endless/eternal
names derive from the under/over design that
leads the eye in an endless loop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:40:52 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Mayayana wrote:

Beautiful work. Thank you. I've used the
"knot of eternity" motif in vinyl and ceramic floor tile.
It's interesting to see how many variations there
are.

Oh. You mean the knot has a name? What I know has been what I've been able
to figure out. Looking that up I see the floor corners are simpler, but the
same idea.

The more pictures I get the more organization I can give them. And I want
to keep them all Brooklyn.

Did you know many Brooklyn apartments had parquet floors also?

Mine did. Maybe it matters that it was built as a luxury apartment in
1930. I didn't get there until 1972, but some of the original tenants
were still there then.

420 Clinton Avenue. Which used to be an even more expensive n'hood
until 1898 when Brooklyn and NY merged, and the richest people started
building houses on Park Avenue, NY.

We had parquet in the dining room and living room. I can't remember
if all 49 apartments had some, probably not the 6 studios and 6 or 12
one BR, but certainly the 10 in the front (which had maid's rooms
too).

Other buildings on the street, like 430 and 431? probably had parquet
too. Also Washington Avenue, two blocks to the east. One of my 6th
floor n'bors used to talk on the phone for long periods while watching
the friend she was talking to, who lived on the 5th or 6th floor on
Wash. Avenue.

Time for dinner. I saw a little bit and I'll look at your webpage
later.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016, Micky wrote:

Did you know many Brooklyn apartments had parquet floors also?

Some of my pictures are from apartments. I miss some, as they would be
priced below the $1,000,000 minimum that I look for.

Mine did. Maybe it matters that it was built as a luxury apartment in
1930. I didn't get there until 1972, but some of the original tenants
were still there then.

Borders were not common by 1930. By 1930 tongue-and-groove took over and
they were no longer face nailing floors. The only borders they were getting
by then were plain strips.

420 Clinton Avenue. Which used to be an even more expensive n'hood
until 1898 when Brooklyn and NY merged, and the richest people started
building houses on Park Avenue, NY.

And what mansion was torn down in 1930 to build it? Clinton Ave was mansion
row before the two cities merged.

There are not that many floor borders in Clinton Hill. The houses are too
old. They were built before floor borders became popular in the US. I do
have one house there that was refloored in the early 1900s, about 30 years
after the house was built.

On my page is a link to a Google map with pins for all the picture
locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Borders were not common by 1930. By 1930 tongue-and-groove took over and
| they were no longer face nailing floors. The only borders they were
getting
| by then were plain strips.

That's an interesting point. I sometimes see
face-nailed flooring in Boston, but it's very rare
to see it in good shape. Usually it's cracked
and/or warped and/or has ugly patches by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 09:22:11 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

| Borders were not common by 1930. By 1930 tongue-and-groove took over and
| they were no longer face nailing floors. The only borders they were getting
| by then were plain strips.

That's an interesting point. I sometimes see
face-nailed flooring in Boston,

The building of Back Bay coincides with the era when these floors were
popular. I would expect Back Bay to be filled with them. But with local
tastes and local suppliers they won't be all the same as I see here.

but it's very rare
to see it in good shape. Usually it's cracked
and/or warped and/or has ugly patches by now.

The more decline the neighborhood had in its past, the worse shape the
floors are now in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 8:09:19 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:
For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures
of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I created
the site I was unable to find any resources on floor borders. So I created
the site for me and others to use.

http://floorborders.com/

In addition to all my pictures, I include what I learned when I installed a
face-nailed floor in my new kitchen. So that information would be useful to
anyone working on their floors.

My mother was a naturalized Southerner from Brooklyn so I have relatives all over New York. The work you have done with the photographs is awesome! Keep posting examples of your work, me and other people really admire it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

website design templates , linux website design software ,netobjectsfusion 10 , webseite erstellen , bestellen preisvergleich , designsoftware website , nof support , design website , website design software forlinux , nof 10.0 , hans gertis Woodworking 0 January 29th 10 11:39 PM
Removing borders Stephen[_11_] UK diy 12 January 7th 10 07:13 PM
Brooklyn Tony Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 1 February 18th 08 10:46 PM
Parquetry box with very dry flaking veneer Anna UK diy 14 July 23rd 06 01:53 PM
Borders for Plywood julvr Woodworking 7 February 8th 05 01:54 PM