Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default My website on Brooklyn parquetry floor borders

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 22:40:52 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, Mayayana wrote:

Beautiful work. Thank you. I've used the
"knot of eternity" motif in vinyl and ceramic floor tile.
It's interesting to see how many variations there
are.

Oh. You mean the knot has a name? What I know has been what I've been able
to figure out. Looking that up I see the floor corners are simpler, but the
same idea.

The more pictures I get the more organization I can give them. And I want
to keep them all Brooklyn.

Did you know many Brooklyn apartments had parquet floors also?

Mine did. Maybe it matters that it was built as a luxury apartment in
1930. I didn't get there until 1972, but some of the original tenants
were still there then.

420 Clinton Avenue. Which used to be an even more expensive n'hood
until 1898 when Brooklyn and NY merged, and the richest people started
building houses on Park Avenue, NY.

We had parquet in the dining room and living room. I can't remember
if all 49 apartments had some, probably not the 6 studios and 6 or 12
one BR, but certainly the 10 in the front (which had maid's rooms
too).

Other buildings on the street, like 430 and 431? probably had parquet
too. Also Washington Avenue, two blocks to the east. One of my 6th
floor n'bors used to talk on the phone for long periods while watching
the friend she was talking to, who lived on the 5th or 6th floor on
Wash. Avenue.

Time for dinner. I saw a little bit and I'll look at your webpage
later.

And your website is very functional. (A relief
these days.)

I am a minimalist when it comes to coding web pages. And I've tested at
w3.org to make the pages bug-free. Most web pages are riddled with HTML
bugs. You don't see them as the browser has worked around them. Though
different browsers may do this differently.

This project is built on things I've done in the past. I'm going off for
planned bicycle trips to take pictures. I was doing that for my Brooklyn
Storefronts project, but that is long dead. This time I have to precisely
time the stops.

There is a lot of programming to build the site. Something I like to do.
Much of it is based on my other sites, like the catalog slide shows come
from my jwissandsons.com site. The scraping of information off pages to
build other pages comes from paleofood.com. And I have a lot of little
utilities to help with code creation.

One thought: You might consider a black
background for the wood images, with white
text. I often see photographers display that
way and I like the way it brings out the image.

The one photo site that I frequent that uses that scheme -- dpreview.com --
has just switched to a white background. But the banner is still black, and
it doesn't fit.

But back to me. Not all of this site is a photo site. And I want to remain
a minimalist.

With a holiday weekend coming up there will be no open houses. But I'll get
a batch of pictures on all the following Sundays. And I will merge them in.