Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default My website on Brooklyn parquetry floor borders

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016, Micky wrote:

Did you know many Brooklyn apartments had parquet floors also?

Some of my pictures are from apartments. I miss some, as they would be
priced below the $1,000,000 minimum that I look for.

Mine did. Maybe it matters that it was built as a luxury apartment in
1930. I didn't get there until 1972, but some of the original tenants
were still there then.

Borders were not common by 1930. By 1930 tongue-and-groove took over and
they were no longer face nailing floors. The only borders they were getting
by then were plain strips.

420 Clinton Avenue. Which used to be an even more expensive n'hood
until 1898 when Brooklyn and NY merged, and the richest people started
building houses on Park Avenue, NY.

And what mansion was torn down in 1930 to build it? Clinton Ave was mansion
row before the two cities merged.

There are not that many floor borders in Clinton Hill. The houses are too
old. They were built before floor borders became popular in the US. I do
have one house there that was refloored in the early 1900s, about 30 years
after the house was built.

On my page is a link to a Google map with pins for all the picture
locations.