Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stainless Steel Lav sinks?

Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:09:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

Sorry, my guess is the low volume is going to be an issue for you. That drives prices. Not sure why a true porcelain sink in a true solid surface would be an issue for you related to chemical sensitivities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:09:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

Sorry, my guess is the low volume is going to be an
issue for you. That drives prices. Not sure why a true
porcelain sink in a true solid surface would be an
issue for you related to chemical sensitivities.

Porcelain sink are too heavy for me too put in and they
are way too fragile as in chipping and cracking when
hard things drop on them. They are better looking
than stainless but at this point I want it to
last till I die (~ 30 years)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2016 12:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

Cheapest 3 hole SS at Lowes $260

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Elkay-Asana-...-Sink/50273637

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:36:59 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's just a bathroom sink, not a kitchen sink or bathtub. And it doesn't have
to be a cast iron porcelain sink, they make less expensive, lighter
ones out of some kind of lighter metal, eg Americast from American Standard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

Cheapest 3 hole SS at Lowes $260

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Elkay-Asana-...-Sink/50273637

Thank you!

Would need a oval. I am on their web page. They have 56 pages
of sinks. This is going to take a while!
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

No , but I just a week or so ago picked up a Kohler CI/enamel extra deep
double bowl kitchen sink at Lowes . Pricing is competetive with HD ,
products are the same quality . Name brand is a name brand no matter where
you buy it ... but a national chain is going to be cheaper just because of
the quantities they buy .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

Nope
http://www.decolav.com/products/lava...stainless.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DECOLAV-S...00-B/100413016

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model.
Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have
any experience with their sinks?

Nope
http://www.decolav.com/products/lava...stainless.html

Rats! No three holers. Thank anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Check the "also viewed" items too...
https://www.amazon.com/Houzer-CH-180...+lavatory+sink

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:36:58 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:09:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

Sorry, my guess is the low volume is going to be an
issue for you. That drives prices. Not sure why a true
porcelain sink in a true solid surface would be an
issue for you related to chemical sensitivities.

Porcelain sink are too heavy for me too put in and they

I can't believe that. I have a porcelain sink with a small counter
surrounding it and it's not hard to lift with one hand. I have
another new one in a box that is only hard to lift because the box is
bulky. When it's out, it will be easy. Both of these are porcelain
on steel sheet, not cast iron. Cast iron, if they ever used that for
sinks, probably, not just tubs, is heavy.

are way too fragile as in chipping and cracking when
hard things drop on them. They are better looking

How often do you drop hard things in them? How many heavy things are
there in the bathroom anyhow? I've dropped a fairly heavy, as brushes
go, quite hard, hair brush and it has no effect on the sink.

than stainless but at this point I want it to
last till I die (~ 30 years)

Two of my 3 bathroom sinks are 37 years old and they're good as new.
I'm sure they will last another 30 years, and these are probably cheap
ones, installed by the original builder. One of them does have some
damage in it, I think because I left a wet washcloth or something
sitting in it, staying wet for days or weeks. That's why I have the
other sinks. The one with the counter is just as old and it's in
perfect condition.

As to chemicals, do you know for sure porcelain is a problem? Or is
it just a suspicion. I thought porcelain was the remedy for places
that had to be sanitary. There are other things just as good now,
but I don't think porcelain has been demoted. But I'd leave it
outside, out of the box it comes in, for a week to let any vapors
dissipate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

Deodorant stones can make a real dent. Things get dropped in the sink
about once a week.

I am mixing my dislike for cast iron with porcelain. I rejected
porcelain as it is fragile, not the odor (my toilets are porcelain).
Cast iron is heavy, cracks and rusts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2016 04:26 AM, dadiOH wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Check the "also viewed" items too...
https://www.amazon.com/Houzer-CH-180...+lavatory+sink

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

I said that in one of the first replies. That steel you're talking
about is like Americast from American Standard. IDK what exactly it
is, but it's a metal that they put the porcelain on and it weighs a
lot less than cast iron. Cast iron is still readily available, it just
costs more and is heavier.

are way too fragile as in chipping and cracking when
hard things drop on them. They are better looking

How often do you drop hard things in them? How many heavy things are
there in the bathroom anyhow? I've dropped a fairly heavy, as brushes
go, quite hard, hair brush and it has no effect on the sink.

I put in a new porcelain cast iron sink in the kitchen about 5 years
ago. No chips. It does have some very fine scratches, but still looks
great.

[...]

It's up to him what he wants or doesn't want. But I would not rule
out porcelain because a bathroom sink can't be lifted by one person.
That's just not true. Chemical thing, the porcelain part is about
as neutral as glass. The backside probably has paint and/or some
sound deadening stuff on it, so that might be a consideration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

How do you have cast iron without there being porcelain on it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

If you want integral holes, use a bar sink. Or maybe a small kitchen sink.
The drains won't be lavatory size but that's no problem.

What do you have against zero holes? Easy to make them (in the counter).

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...nless+bar+sink

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:45:13 -0700, T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

Has anybody stopped you from drilling a third hole. Step up and figure
it out :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2016 10:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:
T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

If you want integral holes, use a bar sink. Or maybe a small kitchen sink.
The drains won't be lavatory size but that's no problem.

What do you have against zero holes? Easy to make them (in the counter).

The hole in the cabinet top is already there

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...nless+bar+sink

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2016 12:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:45:13 -0700, T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

Has anybody stopped you from drilling a third hole. Step up and figure
it out :-)

No room behind current installation to add a hole. There is
just on huge hole for the current sink.

Do you mean in a sink with no holes? There would need to be
a place to put them. Usually sinks without holes have
no where to put the holes. The faucets are intended
to be mounted on the counter behind the sink, and there is
no room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

If you want integral holes, use a bar sink. Or maybe a small
kitchen sink. The drains won't be lavatory size but that's no problem.

What do you have against zero holes? Easy to make them (in the
counter).

The hole in the cabinet top is already there

So the hole for the sink is too, right? Which means you need to find a sink
that matches that hole, not always an easy task. Assuming you can, just use
the existing faucet holes, you don't have to have them in the new sink if
the old sink rim was wide enough. Push comes to shove, just make a new
vanity top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank
you anyway.

If you want integral holes, use a bar sink. Or maybe a small
kitchen sink. The drains won't be lavatory size but that's no problem.

What do you have against zero holes? Easy to make them (in the
counter).

The hole in the cabinet top is already there

So the hole for the sink is too, right? Which means you need to find a sink
that matches that hole, not always an easy task. Assuming you can, just use
the existing faucet holes, you don't have to have them in the new sink if
the old sink rim was wide enough. Push comes to shove, just make a new
vanity top.

Man my writing must suck lately.

This is a replacement sink. The new one has to match
the hole in the counter top.

I hate the current faucet.

New counter top. Hmmmmmmm. That would open a lot
of possibilities.

Thank you

Stainless Steel Sinks mark UK diy 23 January 18th 09 08:41 PM
Cheap stainless steel sinks PigPOg UK diy 5 March 12th 07 04:50 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 1 July 3rd 06 03:25 AM
Stainless Steel Sinks Tom O'Connor Home Repair 1 July 2nd 06 04:52 PM
Stainless Steel Sinks kim14 Home Repair 0 July 2nd 06 03:45 PM