Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default Stainless Steel Lav sinks?

On 06/22/2016 07:41 AM, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:36:58 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/21/2016 12:20 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:09:22 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom
sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical
sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:
http://www.elkay.com/sinks/bathroom-sinks/llvr1916

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do.
Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink
that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,
-T

Sorry, my guess is the low volume is going to be an
issue for you. That drives prices. Not sure why a true
porcelain sink in a true solid surface would be an
issue for you related to chemical sensitivities.

Porcelain sink are too heavy for me too put in and they

I can't believe that. I have a porcelain sink with a small counter
surrounding it and it's not hard to lift with one hand. I have
another new one in a box that is only hard to lift because the box is
bulky. When it's out, it will be easy. Both of these are porcelain
on steel sheet, not cast iron. Cast iron, if they ever used that for
sinks, probably, not just tubs, is heavy.

are way too fragile as in chipping and cracking when
hard things drop on them. They are better looking

How often do you drop hard things in them? How many heavy things are
there in the bathroom anyhow? I've dropped a fairly heavy, as brushes
go, quite hard, hair brush and it has no effect on the sink.

than stainless but at this point I want it to
last till I die (~ 30 years)

Two of my 3 bathroom sinks are 37 years old and they're good as new.
I'm sure they will last another 30 years, and these are probably cheap
ones, installed by the original builder. One of them does have some
damage in it, I think because I left a wet washcloth or something
sitting in it, staying wet for days or weeks. That's why I have the
other sinks. The one with the counter is just as old and it's in
perfect condition.

As to chemicals, do you know for sure porcelain is a problem? Or is
it just a suspicion. I thought porcelain was the remedy for places
that had to be sanitary. There are other things just as good now,
but I don't think porcelain has been demoted. But I'd leave it
outside, out of the box it comes in, for a week to let any vapors
dissipate.

Deodorant stones can make a real dent. Things get dropped in the sink
about once a week.

I am mixing my dislike for cast iron with porcelain. I rejected
porcelain as it is fragile, not the odor (my toilets are porcelain).
Cast iron is heavy, cracks and rusts.