Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bosch BlueGranite 1/4" bit

The hardware guy sold me this drill for my hinge door problem. The top one at that. I also bought a 4" wood screw, with anchors. I tried to drill through the concrete and then house brick and for some reason, I cannot get beyond a certain depth...I meet strong resistance. Now, I do not know if its me, or my variable drill. I had put as much power into it and still it would not go any further than about 4". There is a half inch jamb which came with the prehung door, then some concrete of the opening where the door was installed, and then comes the house brick. BTW, this is not a new door..its a problem that has increased through the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:56:50 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

The hardware guy sold me this drill for my hinge door problem. The top one at that. I also bought a 4" wood screw, with anchors. I tried to drill through the concrete and then house brick and for some reason, I cannot get beyond a certain depth...I meet strong resistance. Now, I do not know if its me, or my variable drill. I had put as much power into it and still it would not go any further than about 4". There is a half inch jamb which came with the prehung door, then some concrete of the opening where the door was installed, and then comes the house brick. BTW, this is not a new door..its a problem that has increased through the years.

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

The hardware guy sold me this drill for my hinge door problem. The top one at that. I also bought a 4" wood screw, with anchors. I tried to drill through the concrete and then house brick and for some reason, I cannot get beyond a certain depth...I meet strong resistance. Now, I do not know if its me, or my variable drill. I had put as much power into it and still it would not go any further than about 4". There is a half inch jamb which came with the prehung door, then some concrete of the opening where the door was installed, and then comes the house brick. BTW, this is not a new door..its a problem that has increased through the years.

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of a drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you don't have a hammer drill, old style brick will stop it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of a
drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt
it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.

Drills for masonry can either...

1. rotate the bit

2. hammer with the bit (like a mini jackhammer, bits are more like small
chisels)

3. rotate AND hammer a round bit. The hammering greatly increases the
efficiency.

For a casual user, something that will do #1 and #3 are most useful IME.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This guy says new Milwaukee drills have blue tooth to find the tool on
the App....

The OP hit something serious.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4944488380001/diy-fathers-day-gift-ideas/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 3:18:35 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
Joe wrote:

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of a
drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt
it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.

Drills for masonry can either...

1. rotate the bit

2. hammer with the bit (like a mini jackhammer, bits are more like small
chisels)

3. rotate AND hammer a round bit. The hammering greatly increases the
efficiency.

For a casual user, something that will do #1 and #3 are most useful IME.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $30.

Sorry, could you make it clearer about the Harbor Freight $30? What do I ask for when i get there? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of a
drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt
it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.

Drills for masonry can either...

1. rotate the bit

2. hammer with the bit (like a mini jackhammer, bits are more like small
chisels)

3. rotate AND hammer a round bit. The hammering greatly increases the
efficiency.

For a casual user, something that will do #1 and #3 are most useful IME.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $30.

Sorry, could you make it clearer about the Harbor Freight $30? What do I ask for when i get there? Thanks

The Hitachi drill manual will state if the drill has a hammer /impact
feature, check that first. A switch selector on the drill....

In lieu of buying another drill, consider renting a hammer drill at a
local rental shop or Home Depot rental places.

If you rent say on Friday, you may not have to return the rental until
Monday. Enough time to use it for your project.

Maybe a neighbor has one they will loan you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of
drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt
it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.

Drills for masonry can either...

1. rotate the bit

2. hammer with the bit (like a mini jackhammer, bits are more like
small
chisels)

3. rotate AND hammer a round bit. The hammering greatly increases the
efficiency.

For a casual user, something that will do #1 and #3 are most useful
IME.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $30.

Sorry, could you make it clearer about the Harbor Freight $30? What
do I ask for when i get there? Thanks

A hammer drill. Like these...
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=hammer+drill

This is the one I have, price has gone up a bit...
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-h...ill-60495.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

[...]

If you just use it occasionally a HF tool is OK but if you want
something that will last, I would buy something a little better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

You may be hitting metal in the wall. Can't say for sure. Does the
drill have a hammer / impact mode?

Don't know what your talking about...not that savvy. Never heard of a
drill having a hammer / impact mode..but thats me...and yet, I doubt
it. It is a $100 Hitachi variable drill.

Drills for masonry can either...

1. rotate the bit

2. hammer with the bit (like a mini jackhammer, bits are more like small
chisels)

3. rotate AND hammer a round bit. The hammering greatly increases the
efficiency.

For a casual user, something that will do #1 and #3 are most useful IME.
Harbor Freight sells one for about $30.

Sorry, could you make it clearer about the Harbor Freight $30? What do I ask for when i get there? Thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-h...ill-68169.html

This one should help drill through masonary. Some
drills are very noisy, good idea to use hearing
protection. Ear muffs or ear plugs.

-
..
Christopher A. Young