Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bluetoth headsets and version 4.1, stereo.

I've decided to get a bluetooth earpiece so I can look cool and get
girls. I'm still in the $30 dollar range until I see what sort of
girls I get. And a couple things confuse me.

Someone says a big difference between bluetooth 4 and 4.1. True?

Several say stereo but show no picture of anything for the second
ear!! Is there some 21st century stereo that only involves one ear?

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Bess...A2YVL6WHL0B2XF
The first review is for some other product. Maybe the Name of the
item is also for some other item? But many have stereo in then name.

http://www.amazon.com/Shareconn-Blue... CT2XA5SV7ZDAN

There's no reason, is there, for there to be a microphone stick on
both ears, so when they show left-eared and right-eared versions, I
assume that is to show that by rotating parts, it will fit either ear.
When it says "For both left ear and right ear" I assume that's Red
Chinese for EITHER ear. If they both had mikes, you could give one
of them to your friend and split the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/CSBROTHER-Blue... CT2XA5SV7ZDAN
This one, in picture 2, actually shows two of them, but the mike is on
the right in both cases meaning they're both for the right ear. Is
that a new kind of stereo? And why do they both need mikes?

There are lots more advertised.

I was in Microcenter and mentioned this to the clerk, and he seemed to
have an answer (I think he said there were 2 parts, but I want to see
this for myself). Then they were all locked up and I wasn't ready to
buy, so I said good-bye. Figured collectively you all know as much
as the clerk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2016 5:53 PM, Micky wrote:

[...]

What is your primary objective for use? Phone only or phone and music?
If you want music, then you'll need a headset.

They say stereo because Bluetooth 4 is stereo ability, which actually
began with Bluetooth 3, or maybe even 2.

The right ear left ear description means the boom mic can swivel to
accommodate either ear.

There are 3 differences between 4 and 4.1

4.1 eliminates radio interference with 4g connection.
4.1 offers better and faster connectivity with the ability for the unit
to turn itself off and on when needed or not for longer battery life.
4.1 improves Data transfer rate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:29:33 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 6/6/2016 5:53 PM, Micky wrote:

[...]

Mostly phone calls, but if I listen to music, I'm willing to do it
with one ear**. I figured I could also use it for Skype on the
desktop computer. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that.

Can I, use the same bluetooth headset for the cellphone and with the
desktop computer Skype? (I would turn off the desktop speakers.)

**Not the same thing but I have wireless speakers connected to my
computer, and I put the left channel in the bedroom and the right
channel in the kitchen. And one of my desktop speakers had been
broken since August. (I should post a question about that.)

They say stereo because Bluetooth 4 is stereo ability, which actually
began with Bluetooth 3, or maybe even 2.

But there's no way to add as second earpiece, is there?

To use that standard, I could say that a computer is stereo, even when
it has NO speakers, no headphones, no nothing. (and even then
speakers could be added.)

The right ear left ear description means the boom mic can swivel to
accommodate either ear.

That's what I thought.

There are 3 differences between 4 and 4.1

4.1 eliminates radio interference with 4g connection.
4.1 offers better and faster connectivity with the ability for the unit
to turn itself off and on when needed or not for longer battery life.
4.1 improves Data transfer rate.

They all sound good, but otoh... All the one-ear bluetooth headsets
have on/off switches, don't they? Some of the drawings
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is your primary objective for use? Phone only or phone and music?
If you want music, then you'll need a headset.

Maybe I should have said, The question, Why do they call it stereo?
was more curiosity and not because I wanted stereo. I think they
have a lot of never calling it stereo on the theory that part of the
circuity is in stereo.

Also I tended to think it meant some of them came with two bluetooth
earpieces, with nothing but air connecting them.

Do those things that just hook around the ear work, without falling
off or being uncomfortable, on most people's ears?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 10:35:22 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

Also I tended to think it meant some of them came with two bluetooth
earpieces, with nothing but air connecting them.

....certainly true if *you* were wearing them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:54:11 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
[...]

When winter comes, you'll want one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Blueto.../dp/B00PMO4EA6

Phone, music (stereo!), warmth. :-)

I received one a gift last Christmas and I like it better than these.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless.../dp/B00DV9O0GC

Less dropout, both from phone connection and from my ears. Too bad the
beanie is too warm to wear all year round.

(Yes, there is no mic boom on either one, but I have never had a complaint
with others not hearing me when I use them for phone calls.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:56:17 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Here's what I have. I've had them for more than a year and they work very well except for the fact that I have a fat head. The range is really good and the rechargeable battery lasts for quite a while and recharges off a USB port on my Chromebook. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/SB220-Bluetoot.../dp/B00CBNG10C

http://tinyurl.com/zk9o4z6

[8~{} Uncle Headphone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2016 11:31 PM, Micky wrote:

What is your primary objective for use? Phone only or phone and music?
If you want music, then you'll need a headset.

Mostly phone calls, but if I listen to music, I'm willing to do it
with one ear**. I figured I could also use it for Skype on the
desktop computer. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that.

Can I, use the same bluetooth headset for the cellphone and with the
desktop computer Skype? (I would turn off the desktop speakers.)

Assuming the desktop has Bluetooth capability...yes.

**Not the same thing but I have wireless speakers connected to my
computer, and I put the left channel in the bedroom and the right
channel in the kitchen. And one of my desktop speakers had been
broken since August. (I should post a question about that.)

They say stereo because Bluetooth 4 is stereo ability, which actually
began with Bluetooth 3, or maybe even 2.

But there's no way to add as second earpiece, is there?

Under normal circumstances, no, but not impossible if you have a
Bluetooth splitter. Without a splitter, you can add another but the
smartphone will recognize it as a separate device then ask which one you
want to connect with.

Such a splitter here
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=1

To use that standard, I could say that a computer is stereo, even when
it has NO speakers, no headphones, no nothing. (and even then
speakers could be added.)

The right ear left ear description means the boom mic can swivel to
accommodate either ear.

That's what I thought.

There are 3 differences between 4 and 4.1

4.1 eliminates radio interference with 4g connection.
4.1 offers better and faster connectivity with the ability for the unit
to turn itself off and on when needed or not for longer battery life.
4.1 improves Data transfer rate.

They all sound good, but otoh... All the one-ear bluetooth headsets
have on/off switches, don't they? Some of the drawings

They should. Even stereo headsets have an on off switch. I haven't seen
one that doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2016 10:32 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I have been using these for several years. They still work great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...C&Q=&A=details

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:08:45 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

Here's what I have. I've had them for more than a year and they work very well except for the fact that I have a fat head. The range is really good and the rechargeable battery lasts for quite a while and recharges off a USB port on my Chromebook. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/SB220-Bluetoot.../dp/B00CBNG10C

http://tinyurl.com/zk9o4z6

[8~{} Uncle Headphone Monster

I have been using these for several years. They still work great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...C&Q=&A=details

Thank you both. I'm also sending this to my friend, who walks a lot
and is thinking of getting bluetooth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:08:59 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
[...]

That looks like a great headset but I can't tolerate headsets that stick in my ears. It drives me nuts. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Ear Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 20:06:02 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 6/6/2016 11:31 PM, Micky wrote:

What is your primary objective for use? Phone only or phone and music?
If you want music, then you'll need a headset.

Mostly phone calls, but if I listen to music, I'm willing to do it
with one ear**. I figured I could also use it for Skype on the
desktop computer. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that.

Can I, use the same bluetooth headset for the cellphone and with the
desktop computer Skype? (I would turn off the desktop speakers.)

Assuming the desktop has Bluetooth capability...yes.

Good.

**Not the same thing but I have wireless speakers connected to my
computer, and I put the left channel in the bedroom and the right
channel in the kitchen. And one of my desktop speakers had been
broken since August. (I should post a question about that.)

They say stereo because Bluetooth 4 is stereo ability, which actually
began with Bluetooth 3, or maybe even 2.

But there's no way to add as second earpiece, is there?

Under normal circumstances, no, but not impossible if you have a
Bluetooth splitter. Without a splitter, you can add another but the
smartphone will recognize it as a separate device then ask which one you
want to connect with.

Very intersting.

Such a splitter here
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=1

Very interesting. I red the manual too.

To use that standard, I could say that a computer is stereo, even when
it has NO speakers, no headphones, no nothing. (and even then
speakers could be added.)

The right ear left ear description means the boom mic can swivel to
accommodate either ear.

That's what I thought.

There are 3 differences between 4 and 4.1

4.1 eliminates radio interference with 4g connection.
4.1 offers better and faster connectivity with the ability for the unit
to turn itself off and on when needed or not for longer battery life.
4.1 improves Data transfer rate.

They all sound good, but otoh... All the one-ear bluetooth headsets
have on/off switches, don't they? Some of the drawings

They should. Even stereo headsets have an on off switch. I haven't seen
one that doesn't.

It must just be the pictures then. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

Several say stereo but show no picture of anything for the second
ear!! Is there some 21st century stereo that only involves one ear?

I think what they mean is the earpeice identifies itself as a stereo
device and mixes it to mono.

Normally with those kind of single-ear bluetooth devices, it'll work with
the phone just fine for phone calls, but if you select the music (or
podcast) player, the phone won't see the device as something usuable.

Regular bluetooth headphones or stereo earbuds work either way.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2016 5:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I looked at the damned thing, then back to look at Drudge to see a pop
up ad for it attached. SOB's had dropped a cookie on my browser.
Not interested in their head set but will gladly tell them where to
stick it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 14:01:58 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 7:08:59 PM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
On 6/7/2016 10:32 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 8:56:17 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:54:11 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
I've decided to get a bluetooth earpiece so I can look cool and get
girls. I'm still in the $30 dollar range until I see what sort of
girls I get. And a couple things confuse me.

Someone says a big difference between bluetooth 4 and 4.1. True?

Several say stereo but show no picture of anything for the second
ear!! Is there some 21st century stereo that only involves one ear?

When winter comes, you'll want one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Blueto.../dp/B00PMO4EA6

Phone, music (stereo!), warmth. :-)

You know, I thought you were just funnin' me the first time. I didn't
see the word bluetooth and thought it was just a hat. I have a
friend who walks 5 hours a week and talks on the phone while she does
it, but she goes to a mall when it's cold out.

I received one a gift last Christmas and I like it better than these.

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless.../dp/B00DV9O0GC

Less dropout, both from phone connection and from my ears. Too bad the
beanie is too warm to wear all year round.

(Yes, there is no mic boom on either one, but I have never had a complaint
with others not hearing me when I use them for phone calls.)

Here's what I have. I've had them for more than a year and they work very well except for the fact that I have a fat head. The range is really good and the rechargeable battery lasts for quite a while and recharges off a USB port on my Chromebook. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/SB220-Bluetoot.../dp/B00CBNG10C

http://tinyurl.com/zk9o4z6

[8~{} Uncle Headphone Monster

I have been using these for several years. They still work great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...C&Q=&A=details

I suggested this style to my friend, but for me, see below:

That looks like a great headset but I can't tolerate headsets that stick in my ears. It drives me nuts. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Ear Monster

My problem is that they don't stick in my ears, regardless of the size
tip used. The center of my ears must be different from others'.

But the earbuds with hooks that go around the ears are fine.

So I'm hoping the heavier one-ear bluetooth headset will be okay too.

Anyhow, I finally found one that didn't brag "stereo" when it only has
one side. It says "Single Side"
http://www.amazon.com/ZEALOT-Smalles.../dp/B012W115E4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 12:34:39 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

Micky wrote:

Several say stereo but show no picture of anything for the second
ear!! Is there some 21st century stereo that only involves one ear?

I think what they mean is the earpeice identifies itself as a stereo
device and mixes it to mono.

That's a very diplomatic way to put it.

Normally with those kind of single-ear bluetooth devices, it'll work with
the phone just fine for phone calls, but if you select the music (or
podcast) player, the phone won't see the device as something usuable.

When that happens, won't the phone still ring, so after I answer and
say "Wait a second" I can disconnect from the player and then use it
from the phone?

Unless it's the same device, the radio in the phone. That wouldn't be
a problem, right?

My friend has a Samsung Galaxy I think, rather expensive, and she
listens (through a wired headset) to the radio when she walks, but if
someone calls her on the phone, she can tell and maybe even when she
answers the phone, the radio stops.

Regular bluetooth headphones or stereo earbuds work either way.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Micky wrote:

Several say stereo but show no picture of anything for the second
ear!! Is there some 21st century stereo that only involves one ear?

I think what they mean is the earpeice identifies itself as a stereo
device and mixes it to mono.

Normally with those kind of single-ear bluetooth devices, it'll work with
the phone just fine for phone calls, but if you select the music (or
podcast) player, the phone won't see the device as something usuable.

Regular bluetooth headphones or stereo earbuds work either way.

I replied without thinking about this last line. So with bluetooth
headPHONES or stereo earBUDS, they can be seen by both at the same
time, but not single ear. I don't see why the two would be related.

Does it matter if the single ear devices call themselves stereo or
not?

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

I replied without thinking about this last line. So with bluetooth
headPHONES or stereo earBUDS, they can be seen by both at the same
time, but not single ear. I don't see why the two would be related.

Does it matter if the single ear devices call themselves stereo or
not?

I'd have to say if the device is a single peice (one ear) and says it's
stereo, it should support listening to music via the player on the phone.

It's been several years since I researched this, I was looking for a one
peice that could be used for playing music from an iPhone, because that is
what I wanted. Mostly for driving, so I didn't have both ears covered.

Motorola made them but were priced higher than I thought was practical.

From what I remember, it has to do with the bluetooth profile they support.

It was something like using a2dp and or another one, avrcp that can use or
has hsp and or hfp. The hsp is for the headset and hfp is for hands free (or
it's the other way around).

What it comes down to is, the stereo headsets (that cover both ears) has both
hsp and hfp, it uses one for the phone calls, the other for music.

Most single peice (one ear) is hfp only. So the phone sees it as a device it
can transmit to, but the music player is looking for a hsp device and can't
use it.

So what I'm saying is, if the device (one ear) says it's stereo, maybe it
supports both hsp and hfp so either the phone or music player can use it.

It's confusing and I'm confused. There was something else, like either profile
has 2 channels, in case of the headset, it uses one for left, one for right.

In the case of the phone, one channel is for listening, the other talking.

The main problem I ran into is most of the cheap ear peices and even the
headsets don't really explain what profiles they support. Many of them said
something like "supports 2 bluetooth devices" but after you read the fine
print, it's one hsp device (like an iPod) and one hfp device (like a flip
phone, razor or something).

Some support 2 devices, both hsp or hfp (or both).

As far as how they work in the real world, the headset I use (not a one-ear),
if I'm listening to the music player and a call comes in, it pauses the
player, beeps in the ear peices, tap the side to answer, do your call, when
disconneted it switches back to the music player and starts where it left off.

That actually works quite well and is somewhat amazing you never need to
touch the phone and switch back and forth. If the phone supports voice
dialing, same thing, tap the side of the headset, when the player mutes, say
"call home" and off it goes.

But making a short answer, rather than one (one ear) that says stereo, if
you can dig down and see if it supports both hsp AND hfp, that is what you
are really looking for (I think).

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce Esquibel wrote:

But making a short answer, rather than one (one ear) that says stereo, if
you can dig down and see if it supports both hsp AND hfp, that is what you
are really looking for (I think).

Never mind most of the previous post, something was nagging me about being
wrong with most of that I said.

It's a2dp you are looking for, if you find a one-ear bluetooth set you like,
if it supports a2dp, it'll work for either music or phone calls.

If it doesn't have a2dp (usually called headset profile 1.0), those will only
work with phone calls.

Simple enough now.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:42:36 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

Bruce Esquibel wrote:

But making a short answer, rather than one (one ear) that says stereo, if
you can dig down and see if it supports both hsp AND hfp, that is what you
are really looking for (I think).

Never mind most of the previous post,

I liked the previous post. It was a mental challenge. And I
appreciate the detailed answer. But as perhaps you implicitly
request, I won't reply to it.

something was nagging me about being
wrong with most of that I said.

It's a2dp you are looking for, if you find a one-ear bluetooth set you like,
if it supports a2dp, it'll work for either music or phone calls.

If it doesn't have a2dp (usually called headset profile 1.0), those will only
work with phone calls.

Okay. I saved a bunch of urls and I'll look at them again.

Simple enough now.

Definitely simple. But I think I'll read the first one again
anyhow, because even if the conclusion is wrong, it's interesting how
complicated the innards are. I can see why they weren't invented in
1966 or 86, for example.

-bruce

Phone headsets John Rumm UK diy 13 October 18th 13 04:53 PM
PMR 446 headsets pebe Electronics Repair 0 September 21st 13 04:07 PM
OT - Telephone headsets Adrian Brentnall UK diy 12 November 5th 11 05:36 PM
How to connect JVC Stereo Cassete Deck(KD-AD2),Stereo Integrated Amplifier(A-S7),Stereo Tuner(T-V3) to RCA Television(FMR 7277ER) Thaqalain Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:33 AM
Telephone Handsets/Headsets Hiram Hackenbacker UK diy 3 July 17th 03 04:50 AM